Sponsored

Best way to clean wipers

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Just curious on what the best way to clean windshield wipers is. I know people have different methods, IPA, warm soapy water, 303, etc.
I replace them every 6 months due to the heat in Texas and I was just curious if there was a way to prolong them and keep them working efficiently and what methods yā€™all may use.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
For me, I've sprayed down the wipers with either glass cleaner or diluted isopropyl alcohol. Liberally wipe them until microfiber cloth is almost clean - it will never be 100% clean, but more "gray" than the deep black that you started with due to the dirt accumulation.

Been doing that for years and I can easily get at least 1 year to 1.5 from the wipers when used for daily driving through all climates.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I hit them with the glass cleaner when I am cleaning the windshield.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me, I've sprayed down the wipers with either glass cleaner or diluted isopropyl alcohol. Liberally wipe them until microfiber cloth is almost clean - it will never be 100% clean, but more "gray" than the deep black that you started with due to the dirt accumulation.

Been doing that for years and I can easily get at least 1 year to 1.5 from the wipers when used for daily driving through all climates.
why is it brand new, they have a black substance on them? Is that like a coating from the factory?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
why is it brand new, they have a black substance on them? Is that like a coating from the factory?
I'm not sure if it's a true coating that serves any functional purposes or if it's manufacturing coating on the rubber/silicone from factory. Even if you wipe a new blade down it's not going to hurt anything because as they are out in the sun/rain that coating (IF it's a coating) will break down anyway.

I've always wiped down the blades when washing the car; seems to make the blades last a lot longer.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the info guys! I replace them when need be but I hate spending excess money on stuff if I donā€™t need to.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me add this too too - it's personal preference but comes from years of experience.

Believe it or not, I was a Bosch wiper blade user for eons... Until the last few years, their blades just donā€™t last and turn to shit in 6mos time (even when maintaining them) and especially for their rather high cost; I stopped buying them.

I decided to try the RainX blades from the local WalMart. Figured WTF, if they donā€˜t work, the cost of two complete RainX blades was far less than losing what it normally cost me for two BOSCH blades.

Bought the RainX blades, installed and guess what - they work perfectly and look exactly like the original OEM blades. They donā€™t skip, chatter, streak or smear and they work excellent in rain (heavy & light) and still work great in winter for snow/slush.

https://www.rainx.com/product/wiper-blades/rain-x-latitude/

Been using the RainX wiper blades on our cars for the last 5+years now and would keep buying.... For their price point and after trying them out long term, IMO, theyā€™re worth the $$$ and perform the same if not better than the original OEMs.

No BS.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I concur, Bosch blades quality went way down. They were to go-to for a long time.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. I needed some wipers ASAP because my OEM ones shit the bed fairly quickly over the last wave of rain we had. Cleaning them along with cleaning the windshield didnā€™t help so I had to get em.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I too wash the blades when I wash the vehicle and I'm a long-time believer in Aerospace 303 to lengthen the life of the rubber. Seems to do the job.

Plus, my girl will probably never see rain anyway but I know the concept works as I use it on all our vehicles. :-)
Sponsored