Sponsored

Dapepper9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Yes, which begs the question; why not flex fuel for the Mustang ? I mean FORD has almost everything else as flex. Even when the still produced cars.
They've always promoted it as an "alternative fuel source" so the F-150 got it all those years making people feel better about drinking more fuel. I just think it's crazy that the fuel system is capable of supporting the E85 fuel no problem at all yet there's not a squeak from Ford about it. I guess they just figured they'll let the aftermarket do it so they can deny warranty claims. :cwl:
Could be that for the F150s it’s more for the fleet operator for cheaper fuel and lower emissions whereas a mustang is more likely to sit for extended periods of time and be prone to things like moisture contamination. At least looking at the 2 fleets overall. There’s certainly some old farts with 10-15 year old trucks that only have 8,000 miles on them and people with Mustangs that daily drive them to 15k+/yr but I think in the grand scheme the reverse is the more likely scenario
Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
The problem is e85 isn't avail. everywhere, and e85 at pumps is almost never e85.
The other issue, is when and if the pump fuel goes to e20. What little you gain in power goes out the window because of the mpg and cost to go the same distance . So your cost for fuel goes up, and the limited time you are hammering on it, you gain a few hp at the peak. But normal driving you just spend more.
Other issue they don't touch on is ethanol mixed gas when it sits separates . Alky also evaporates. Your 3 week old or winter storage fuel that was 91, might be 85 octane depending on how much after separation ,evaporated. Ya the fuel system isn't sealed 100%.
Not as much an issue with new vehicles with efi and sensors that read the fuel and pull back on the power and timing/etc.
But this is a big problem with older efi cars and worse yet for classic vehicles.
Those hunting down e85 don't care about mpg, and will put fresh fuel in come spring.
the general public adding ethanol just makes the cost of ownership higher as you are pumping in more fuel to go the same yearly mileage at a higher yearly cost.
I know when I could get 100% gas and it was the same cost as e10 . I got 2.5mpg better than the e10 1999 grand mark 4.6v8.
Not looking forward to when they move to e20.
As it is coming, they will get burned at the steak if they raise the pump taxes, but what if you have to use more gallons that are taxed per gallon. so. ya e20 is a given.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Alky also evaporates. Your 3 week old or winter storage fuel that was 91, might be 85 octane depending on how much after separation ,evaporated. Ya the fuel system isn't sealed 100%.
I had E10 sit for 5 moths. When I put it away, it was at 91% capacity. 5 months later, 91% capacity instead of 82% capacity. So zero evaporation. The ONLY way ethanol will separate from gasoline is if water get's in the tank. In order for that to happen with newer vehicles yer car will basically need to be underwater. As fer milage, watch the video again.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I had E10 sit for 5 moths. When I put it away, it was at 91% capacity. 5 months later, 91% capacity instead of 82% capacity. So zero evaporation. The ONLY way ethanol will separate from gasoline is if water get's in the tank. In order for that to happen with newer vehicles yer car will basically need to be underwater. As fer milage, watch the video again.
Whatever you say.
your car is new, the system will not stay sealed up tight as it ages.
It does separate, we tested the octane of e10 after it sat for 6 months, taking a sample from the top and another from the bottom.
2) chalk board numbers are nice and all, but vehicle on the road, and real world numbers trump the chalk board everytime.
We had 20% what they marketed as 10% ethanol and 10% co-solvent here before they stopped it. and the mpg was garbage.
Now are you claiming adding 10% more ethanol to make e20 adding 10% more of a lower btu (alky)and removing 10% of a high btu(gas) isn't going to lower the mpg?
maybe if you drive with an egg under the throttle it be the same.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Gasoline vaporizes faster than alcohol. If you leave a container of E85 open to atmosphere, the E content will increase over time. However, long term practice of this, will bring water molecules into the mixture as well. (MONTHS)......

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think the misunderstanding here is that changing from E10 to E20 will increase octane. Nope all it will do is allow the companies to make money by lowering the amount of octane additives. Gas companies want it and corn farmers also want it.

The next logical step to increase gas mileage in vehicles would be to raise the octane of the fuel. Going from E10 to E20 while increasing RON 2 points would help gas mileage. I said logical so obviously this won’t happen.

I saw a story years back that the coyote uses about 8% more fuel running 87 vs 93. Dumping fuel to overcome knock.

I run 2.5 gallons of E85 per tank of 93 and have zero gas mileage difference from running straight 93. The performance difference on those hot summer days is noticeable.
Sponsored