Best Tires for Street Driving

RyfleMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I have a 2022 Mach 1 with the handling package, and whipple supercharger. Currently I have the stock cup 2’s, but I want to replace them with something better and don’t know which way to go.
I’m mostly looking for a tire that is able to hook well when launching, but can also maintain traction through corners. I’d prefer them to have a higher tread rating, but if it’s around 200 then that’s ok.
I tried MT ET SS tires in 305/45R17 but I wasn’t confident with them on turns or dailying them with a possibility of rain.
I want to stick with 19 inch rims. 325/30R19 would be preferred, but can go 315. I’ve done some more digging and it seems like nitto 555rii are the way to go, but they don’t offer the size I need. Proxes r888r seem to maybe be good for what I’m looking for. Opinions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Whoops.. haha. You can't have a drag tire that doubles as a track-ish tire.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If there was a tire with a higher treadwear rating, had decent traction on the rain, performed well in the turns, and could hook up launching a PD blown car on the street, it would be sold out worldwide.

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
NO drag tire will fit this bill for you, sorry. Their intended purpose is for DRAG only. You can street drive them, but they aren't optimal. And staying with 19's, they won't work as well as say a 17" with more sidewall. And they definitely won't be good in turns and such, or rain. My advice, find a very good street tire in the size you want and live with it. Michelin is probably your best bet.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
The only tire I’ve had that have done this are the old Toyo R888s on 18lbs I’d cut a 1.6 60ft at a semi prepped track and fill them to 35lbs and go corner carving

Last edited:

Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
The PS4S does a really good job covering your needs but with the whipple its going to be hard to find a tire to hook and take corners

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
To me the best tire for street driving is about a 300 TW like a Pilot SS or 4S Michelin. Those tires probably won't hook at lower speeds with a blower, though - unless you practice throttle discipline. On track at higher speeds you can probably use most of the throttle.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Nothing that will hook better than the Cup 2 will bet better in other situations. PS4S is the broadest use case and best performing tire in general.
Sponsored