Sponsored

Best tire upgrade? Toyo R888R?

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
I know very few have been delivered and that they come with a very nice set of Michelin PS4s, but a tire upgrade would be one of the first things I’d do.
How does the car perform with the R888Rs?
-J
Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
What will the car be used for? Drag or Street NT555R or the MT S/S for best traction. Road course, Cup2 would be a great factory upgrade but the R888R should work really well or better too.

Old Ickabod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The R888R's are really good and much better on my car, for the street, than the NT05R's were. Better in the rain, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are a good rain tire - they will get you home if you get caught in the wet.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
tires- here is where is 85/15. I love them at this power level, if i air them down, they will hook and do the 1.6 60's from a dig, AND hook from a roll. however, at 25+psi, they will not. so you have to be prepared. i have not tried a really warmed up tire at 800+ on 25+tire psi to see just how bad they are. Ill have to get back to you on that. They do have a slight HUMM when driving down the road aired up, its noticable, but definitly not annoying. I can live with that. especially if exhaust is in anything other than quiet, you wont notice it.. The other positive, is unlike with an DR or other sticky tire, i still get to KNOW with confidence the car is gonna stay put if i get aggressive with the lefty righty stuff

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
Are there any situations where you'd run drag tires in the rear and, say, PS4s in the front? Or is that a no no?

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Are there any situations where you'd run drag tires in the rear and, say, PS4s in the front? Or is that a no no?
Depends. at my curent power level the r888 are doing what they were meant to do. i dont see a real beenfit of running a 20" drag radial yet, maybe with more hp, but then i lose the twisty confidence.

I would however, be willing to go to, and will be going to a dedicated 18" drag setup. this allows me to utilize the most traction, regardless of power, for the specific task. so i wouldnt be tempted to do twisty stuff, because thats not the type of driving id be planning on dong that day. If that makes sense

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
555R is probably the best street/strip tire that won’t be a death trap in the rain.

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
Depends. at my curent power level the r888 are doing what they were meant to do. i dont see a real beenfit of running a 20" drag radial yet, maybe with more hp, but then i lose the twisty confidence.

I would however, be willing to go to, and will be going to a dedicated 18" drag setup. this allows me to utilize the most traction, regardless of power, for the specific task. so i wouldnt be tempted to do twisty stuff, because thats not the type of driving id be planning on dong that day. If that makes sense
Would you/are you going to daily/cruise with the R888Rs? This is a weekend car for me but the wife likes to take 2+ hour road trips. I learned my lesson with the Goodyears on my 14 but never made it to the Toyos. I might this time around.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Would you/are you going to daily/cruise with the R888Rs? This is a weekend car for me but the wife likes to take 2+ hour road trips. I learned my lesson with the Goodyears on my 14 but never made it to the Toyos. I might this time around.
I wouldnt say "daily", because its not a daily car, but it will be the standard rear tire for all around usage, as it has been since 140 miles. im at 1200 now.

today it drizzled and i didnt really see an issue, just drive like an adult, put it in slippery mode and be ok as long as it doesnt downpour.. but why you would drive the car in rain anyway, i dont know

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
I wouldnt say "daily", because its not a daily car, but it will be the standard rear tire for all around usage, as it has been since 140 miles. im at 1200 now.

today it drizzled and i didnt really see an issue, just drive like an adult, put it in slippery mode and be ok as long as it doesnt downpour.. but why you would drive the car in rain anyway, i dont know
Thanks for the feedback. I plan on ordering a set myself. And I'm with you on the rain but it's nice to know you can get home safely if you get caught out in it.

Sponsored

10SpeedDemon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Dre
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
tires- here is where is 85/15. I love them at this power level, if i air them down, they will hook and do the 1.6 60's from a dig, AND hook from a roll. however, at 25+psi, they will not. so you have to be prepared. i have not tried a really warmed up tire at 800+ on 25+tire psi to see just how bad they are. Ill have to get back to you on that. They do have a slight HUMM when driving down the road aired up, its noticable, but definitly not annoying. I can live with that. especially if exhaust is in anything other than quiet, you wont notice it.. The other positive, is unlike with an DR or other sticky tire, i still get to KNOW with confidence the car is gonna stay put if i get aggressive with the lefty righty stuff
do you think a 315/30/20 will work with a 700whp street car

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
do we know if 18" wheels for drag only fit?

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500