Sponsored

Best tire for summer daily driver that will also work well for occasional track days?

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
All the suggestions provided are good, but @NightmareMoon hit it on the head re: track and street durability. If you can afford $600-800 for another set of wheels in addition to tires, I promise you will thank yourself later. I tracked/autocrossed on a set of 19x9.5 SVE drifts for a few years, and had another set for DD duty. I completely recommend that approach. You can also get a 19x10 square setup for not much more. Keep your track tires fast and the ones you really want, and keep your DD tires quiet, comfortable and lower wear. It pays for itself quickly.
Thanks. I have two sets of the SVE R350 in 19x10, the only problem is since my car is a daily driver I need a set of A/S tires for the colder months. With my second set of wheels/tires I was trying to find something that could be a dual use tire for summer driving and for 2 or so intermediate track days a year. I would consider a 3rd set of wheels but for 2 or maybe 3 track days a year I really can't justify the cost right now.
Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Thanks. I have two sets of the SVE R350 in 19x10, the only problem is since my car is a daily driver I need a set of A/S tires for the colder months. With my second set of wheels/tires I was trying to find something that could be a dual use tire for summer driving and for 2 or so intermediate track days a year. I would consider a 3rd set of wheels but for 2 or maybe 3 track days a year I really can't justify the cost right now.
Daily on the AS. Once you have a real set of track tires, the need for a HP summer for DD use may fall away.

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I still think the Goodyear is a better tire for HPDE than the Michelin. I've got the Michelin stock on my Bullitt and I still think the Goodyear is a better track tire. Of course everyone has an opinion

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
MP4S will hold up to novice track use and are really excellent in warm wet conditions. RS4 is a better summer track tire that you can also daily drive but it sucks in the rain. RE71R was fine in warm rainy conditions until the tread got too bald. Firestone

I'd never ever recommend all-seasons for track use. Ever. Your point is well taken tho, a tire doesn't have to be fast if you're not competing.

RS4 is a good choice except for wet weather, I hear they suck in the rain.

MP4S may not hold up well on a heavy car with poor camber. If you have more than stock camber they should be a good choice.
I agree with Nightmare. A couple of extra points is all-season tires often don't last long on track, it is not just a problem with them being slow. He stated to mention Firestone, the Indy 500 is a good value choice. It will last as long or longer with track use as the Michelin PSS (~P4S) for less money, but with lower performance.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Even MPSS tires will get you a good bit past 1g lateral - I've seen 1.1 g sustained and 1.3+g peaks with them on an S197 with only mild suspension work. By all reports the PS4S is even better. Either the MPSS or the PS4S can pull duty as track day tires in the rain.

One thing about the Michelins is that they seem to benefit by "stretched fitments" combined with adequate camber and roll control. For 285/xx tires, 10" is really on the narrow side for track duty, so don't be afraid to go with 11" wide wheels here . . . if nothing else you'll have the wheel width necessary when you're ready for 305-wide tires.

Norm

Sponsored

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
The Indy 500's are really tempting if they would work as a good daily summer tire and occassional track day tire. I'd save over $300 on a set of them vs. the PS4s. Right now I have a new 19x10 wheel set waiting for the tires. I have thought about getting 2 addtional 19x11 wheels to run on the back, but i'd lose the ability to rotate them and I'm not sure if having a staggered setup would really benefit me much on a road course.
Sponsored