Sponsored

Best/Suggested clay bar alternative

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Been looking in Amazon for a clay alternative...there are all sorts of devices: nanoskin sponge, nanoskin mitt, speedy surface prep, chemical guys clay block, and other sorts of rubbery towel.

From y'alls experience, which is the best or suggested one? Is there any pros and cons out of each alternative?

For me the most important thing is that it doesn't damage the paint more than what it was. On other matter, I already bought soap, grit guard, foam lance, mitts and towels. About to buy one clay alternative, claylube and ironx...any product suggestion would be welcomed!
Sponsored

TheEnglishGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick & Erin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium, Ruby Red, Blackout Pkg, Manual
Can you help us understand what you're trying to get away from with clay?

An answer from a price perspective might be different to one from a too aggressive/not aggressive enough perspective - which would be different to one from a "I keep dropping the damn things and having to toss them!" perspective.

OP
OP

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not really trying to get away from clay, I just don't know enough about the topic to be able to make a decision on what product to use. To be honest, I have never clayed.

Since there are dozens of devices out there (which look more practical than a piece of putty), I wanted an opinion on what's better. If clay is the best solution, then that's what I will buy.

Bluedream

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT DIB premium pp, 2017 Focus RS
Iron x will get rid of most contaminants just still use clay for anything it may miss. I use to clay my 3 cars every 6 months but it get tiring and i dont have the time so i just iron x and clay what it misses.

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
Nanoskin wash mitt is my go to. Quick and easy compared to traditional clay.

Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I would get a clay bar and use it once to see how it is. Alwwys make sure the area your working on is well lubed.

The clay is meant to pull out all the contaminents that are embedded in your finish and it does it lretty damn well. The surface you use will show what you picked up and you can pick out the big stuff and fold in the rest. When youre dond your paint should feel smooth as glass.

If you find you drop the clay a lot (you will need to pick off the whole surface that hit the ground or ditch the clay bar totally) want something with a bigger surface area then one of those other alternatives help as they can be rainsed off at times where clay needs to be ditched. Unfortunatly i never tried the alternatives and they come in kany different grades depending on how dirty your car is.

My suggestion is if this is your first time doing anything clay it, then after that you can probably get away with one of those fine grade nano mitts. The clay can always be kept on backup for tough spots, or like i did, relegated the old clay to glass and wheel duty.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
The new clay alternatives work quite a bit faster because of much more surface area. It can do about 50 cars at a minimum before needed replacement. Ive heard of pros getting 80-100 even. You get way more value for a cheaper price. Its just as safe, also if you drop it it can be cleaned off unlike clay which must be pitched. Ill never go back. I know many pro detailers that feel the same way. Buy a high quality one and enjoy.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Claybar is super simple. Just use enough lubricant (quik detailer if you're in a pinch) and it won't mar the paint. If you drop the bar, throw it away.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
The key to the alternatives is saving time, you can literally clay while you wash in the exact same amount if time a good quality hand wash takes. No quick detailer, no clay lube, no folding clay over, no cleaning the clay lube or quick detailer off again before polishing. It saves a good hour.

If you spray your car with the absolutely awful smelling but necessary IronX, grab your SM Arnold/nanoskin/optimum wash mitt/block/towel and very methodically wash your car using the two bucket method with dawn as the soap and you're ready to polish and wax as soon as it's dry.

I prefer the SM Arnold towels, nanoskin works well but gets kind of gummy after a few uses.

OP
OP

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool, thanks to y'all!
Sponsored