Best street tire for launching

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Speaking of staggard setup, is that diameter like 18” to 19” or if both rims are 19” yet one is 9.5 as apossed to 9.0?
The second one but technically both options would mean a staggered set up though most people won't mix diameters on a mustang
Sponsored

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
I've got MPS4S on my car and they're very good. Unfortunately they have trouble with 750rwhp at anything under 90mph so I'm getting a set of R888R's on an extra set of rear wheels. The Viper crowd has been swearing by them for years.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
What about no burn out with both tires? I’m looking for that spontaneous launch or down shift at speed that’s going to give me the least wheel spin on a street tire.
No burn out, Michelin.

Sponsored

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
The MPS4S are standard on the new supercharged 700+ hp GT500. If it’s factory issue on a blown car designed for the track, I would think it means something. I know they cost relatively more. But I would spend the money now on a good tire that will probably be on the car a long time.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
No one seems to be mentioning the Firehwawk Indy tires. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&tireMake=Firestone

I thought these were well liked?
They are but as the cheap alternative. They are a good tire but from what I read not great in the rain and the dry grip is not at the level of a ps4s or Extremecontact Sport. Again good tire to the budget conscious folks and better than a stock pzero but not quite in the same league as tires that are just a few dollars more.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
dry grip is not at the level of a ps4s or Extremecontact Sport.
It's close enough that unless you're tracking the car, you won't notice the difference. In many sizes they are 30-40% cheaper, although in the popular S550 sizes that gap has closed recently. Still a great tire.

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
The extreme contacts are awesome. I have them on my 99 600+ at the wheel and they hook. Pzeros suck.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
It's close enough that unless you're tracking the car, you won't notice the difference. In many sizes they are 30-40% cheaper, although in the popular S550 sizes that gap has closed recently. Still a great tire.
Lol ya I track mine, that is what I was going off of, should have clarified. Also I was looking at stock size for my car granted the ps4s is much more expensive the Conti only $19 more per tire, a bargain to me

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cdshivers

Cdshivers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium Performance Pkg
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! You guys have really come through with some great feedback!

I think it’s clear I won’t be getting the Nitto’s at this point and now feel confident the MPS4S will do what I want. I will of course look further into the brands/options y’all have mentioned.

I had found an article once that actually showed the geforce one owner was able to get with the new tires compared to his oem ones. I just can’t find that article anymore.

That being said, once I purchase my new tires, I hope to put together a video with my experience/results. It won’t happen immediately but I’ll do my best to post it here so all of you who’ve helped me out here can see the results!

OP
OP
Cdshivers

Cdshivers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium Performance Pkg
Vehicle Showcase
Hello to everyone who helped me choose my tires. I just wanted to do a follow up on my results.

I gotta say the MPS4S was a great choice! The amount of grip over the P-Zero’s is night and day. I hardly have any wheel slip at all now and the only time the tires have spun was when they were cold and I launched the car, but that was intentional.

Otherwise, all I get now is a tiny chirp and I’m gone. For the technical side of things, I’ve been using my accelorometer as a measuring tool. Please realize I’ve added the Steeda stop the hop package.
That being said, my G’s increased from .74 to .78 on acceleration and my lateral G’s increased from .76 to .82! Now I know that doesn’t sound like much and I know the car is capable of more. But this is just in street driving having a little fun :-)

Last edited:

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks for following up. I've been very happy with both launch and cornering performance from the Michelin PS4S tires on my GT.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
When we purchased our 2015 GT Premium vert in March of this year, the dealer had installed a new set of Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 on it. Unless I launch hard in Race mode I get almost no tire spin. Is my GT weak or are these tires just hooking better than a lot of other peoples tires? It pulls real strong all the way through shifts. Even with Advance Trac off I have no problems with excessive wheel spin. I am not complaining too much mind you considering the cost of replacements. My 2011 300C with a custom DS tune would smoke the tires anytime I wanted below 40mph and I was running the same tire on it. Granted the Hemi ran out of steam by 5700 rpm but it was fun to drive and I did get it to 146 mph one time and decided that was enough.

E917F87E-F482-4A87-9893-D860533E7BE5.jpeg

448C4A2F-FD2F-4367-B75E-6BDD6EC9ED24.jpeg

Hattrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2018 GT A10.
NT05R hands down, first SRT that walks you, you will wish you had them. 28psi and your set . They wont last as long but at $550 for two, not that bad . Michelins will spin easy, no comparison and cost more.
Sponsored