nj888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
NJ
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
Hey guys,

Happy New Year! I feel like my mustang gt 2018 ride quality is not so great. I feel like I am feeling every bump on the road. I have stock springs and shocks. I came from driving a civic. It feels a lot stiff compared to that car. Is this normal? I know you lose some ride quality with better handling, so my next question is what are the best lowering springs and shocks that improve the ride quality?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
This is normal. I would expect the Mustang to be a harsher ride. Lowering springs wouldn't "improve" the ride any actually the opposite. It will make you feel more of the road. Better handling usually comes at the expense of a smooth ride.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There are some aspects of ride quality that are often not thought about fully. IMO a firmer car that is far more controlled (i.e. you feel everything, but bumps are a succinct up, down) is better than a softer car that jiggles, bounces and wobbles around. The stock Mustang is kinda that second bit, and it does it a lot of good to firm up slightly, the dampers if nothing else.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

Happy New Year! I feel like my mustang gt 2018 ride quality is not so great. I feel like I am feeling every bump on the road. I have stock springs and shocks. I came from driving a civic. It feels a lot stiff compared to that car. Is this normal? I know you lose some ride quality with better handling, so my next question is what are the best lowering springs and shocks that improve the ride quality?

Thanks!
Best for your situation: Steeda progressive springs. The inital rate is less than the OEM PP springs but tightens up nice for turns and extra load (20 suitcases / dead bodies in trunk). The lowering “stance” is perfect, in my opinion, as well.

You’ll be “ok” with your OEM dampers, but will have the best ride with the Steeda ProActions (fixed or adjustable). The compression is really refined in these; suprisingly so.

Lastly, explore tire options if your ride isn’t to your liking. Performance summer tires ride much different than a nice touring or all-season tire.

dbegley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I bet you are surprised on how stiff the ride is in your Mustang. Stiffer suspension gives better handling but a worse ride. Nature of this beast. Most of us seek an even better handling which means stiffer ride. Linear springs would give you a worse ride so stay with progressive springs. Lowering springs are not going to improve the ride. I agree if you wanted to improve the ride swap out those tires as a starting point. I think you bought the wrong car if you are looking for a softer ride.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I bet you are surprised on how stiff the ride is in your Mustang. Stiffer suspension gives better handling but a worse ride. Nature of this beast. Most of us seek an even better handling which means stiffer ride. Linear springs would give you a worse ride so stay with progressive springs. Lowering springs are not going to improve the ride. I agree if you wanted to improve the ride swap out those tires as a starting point. I think you bought the wrong car if you are looking for a softer ride.
I hate to say it but I agree with this. And Mustangs have never been about comfort. A Lexus has a good ride. The Mustang doesn't. Although I guess it depends on what you consider a good ride. I actually like the stiffer ride now. Makes me feel more connected to the road.

To the OP- I think you might just need to adjust your expectations. Lowering springs are a good thing in a Mustang. But do for the handling improvement, not necessarily ride improvement. However if you choose right you can get the handling improvement without much degradation in the ride. Its always a compromise but might be one you can live with.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
OP, Steeda is coming out with Koni active shocks this spring. They also have a comfort package that have gotten good reviews. I’m waiting on some real reviews for the active shocks.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
nj888

nj888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
NJ
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
I hate to say it but I agree with this. And Mustangs have never been about comfort. A Lexus has a good ride. The Mustang doesn't. Although I guess it depends on what you consider a good ride. I actually like the stiffer ride now. Makes me feel more connected to the road.

To the OP- I think you might just need to adjust your expectations. Lowering springs are a good thing in a Mustang. But do for the handling improvement, not necessarily ride improvement. However if you choose right you can get the handling improvement without much degradation in the ride. Its always a compromise but might be one you can live with.
Ya, I completely understand that there is a trade-off. I didn't think it would be this stiff but anyways I like my stang no doubt.

OP
OP
nj888

nj888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
NJ
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
OP, Steeda is coming out with Koni active shocks this spring. They also have a comfort package that have gotten good reviews. I’m waiting on some real reviews for the active shocks.
Ill checkem out. Thanks!

Sponsored
OP
OP
nj888

nj888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
NJ
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
What tires do you recommend? I have all season on them 235 all around.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What tires do you recommend? I have all season on them 235 all around.
What inflation pressure(s) do you have them at? Dealerships have been know to sometimes run tire pressures up on cars in the lot (so they don't have to keep checking them). And sometimes down for demo rides.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Something else to consider is that shocks and struts can feel harsher until the car has accumulated some miles. It's a seal friction/stiction kind of thing. It does diminish with time and use.

Norm

OP
OP
nj888

nj888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
NJ
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
What inflation pressure(s) do you have them at? Dealerships have been know to sometimes run tire pressures up on cars in the lot (so they don't have to keep checking them). And sometimes down for demo rides.

So, in the morning when it's really cold its at 32. As I drive it reaches up to 35-37 at times depending on the weather outside. Do you think it's over inflated.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
32 should not be too high, and a 50-series tire should be the S550's softest-riding tire. It was just one of the unknowns.

Norm
Sponsored