Best shocks and struts for bmr sp083r springs

SilverNv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Looking for recommendations on what shocks and struts work well with the (250/980lb) spring rates of the bmr sp083r springs. I am having a hard time finding Ford track struts in stock right now as that was my first choice.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I have the Ford Track Struts with GT350R springs which are close to the BMR spring rates. I don't think the FP struts have enough low speed compression damping for these springs; high speed and rebound are fine. The rear FP shocks are fine with these rates. I'd go Bilstein if you can get them.
Just my opinion. YMMV

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Little pricier, but the adjustable steeda pro-action struts are a good choice as well per some of the knowledgable forum members here (BmacIL)

I have this current setup that I will be installing later today/tomorrow, so I can give you some feedback about it. I had the pro-actions on my prior car which had Eibach Prokit springs, but got a new car and decided to go with BMR SP083 this time around.

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Looking for recommendations on what shocks and struts work well but he the spring rate of the bmr springs. I am having a hard time finding Ford track struts in stock right now as that was my first choice.
Able to get everything installed yesterday:
• BMR SP083R springs
• Steeda Adjustable Pro-Action Shocks/Struts
• BMR CB010 + CB762
• Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates

My initial first impression is that with the CB010/CB762 and shocks/struts adjusted to 1/4 turn from full soft rides essentially like stock PP1 suspension but BETTER as it doesn't have the loose rubber band feeling in the rear end under hard acceleration, significantly less nose dive when braking, and of course, improved handling and car feels more planted around corners. There is a small touch of very mild bumpsteer, which I believe I'm more sensitive to than the average person, but it likely won't even be noticed by the majority of people (nothing that would make me want to go out and buy the Steeda bumpsteer correction kit today).

The setup has exceeded my expectations as I thought the ride was going to be much harsher given the BMR spring rates, but with the settings above, it is VERY close to the stock PP1 suspension with respect to comfort (which was important to me as it is my DD). I'm currently on 1/2 turn from FS all around and love it.

The drop is perfect in my opinion as it not only looks great but, most importantly, remains functional. Car currently sits as pictured below (~24 hrs after installation) and I will be getting an alignment later this week after the springs fully settle.

IMG_5789.jpg
IMG_5800.jpg
IMG_5801.jpg

Lastly, I wish I would've known how much of a challenge getting the stock rear springs out would be. This, along with aligning the IRS bolts for the BMR cradle lockout kits were my biggest struggles which included my neighbors watching me blurt out many expletives throughout the day lol

Sponsored

OP
OP

SilverNv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Thanks for the reply’s. The steeda adjustables are looking like a great option with the ability to change the feel of the car. I’m using my car to commute 70 miles a day to work. I want it to be fun though for the weekend backroad blast from time to time.

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks for the reply’s. The steeda adjustables are looking like a great option with the ability to change the feel of the car. I’m using my car to commute 70 miles a day to work. I want it to be fun though for the weekend backroad blast from time to time.
No problem and the only downside to me is the price.

Prior to purchasing, I looked into a lot of the other shock/strut combos that everyone recommends, which I'm sure are great and probably a better value, but I definitely wanted that adjustability. I luckily found a used set posted by a guy up here for less than what the FP shocks/struts would cost, so it was a no-brainer for me.

OP
OP

SilverNv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I ended up getting a set of Ford performance track shocks and struts paired up with the bmr handling springs. Installed the bmr cb005 cradle kit at the same time the rear suspension went in. Added a bmr sb044 front sway bar on the softest setting as well. It added a bit firmer ride on uneven roads but on smoother pavement it is close to stock for comfort. Handling is much more performance oriented and the dive when on the brakes is greatly minimized compared to stock. Body roll in corners is greatly reduced. A few more parts are showing up to help with alignment. Steeda camber plates and adjustable toe links with the Ford rear toe bushing will hopefully be installed next weekend when I get some time. I think that this will keep me happy for quite some time as far as suspension goes. I’m quite happy with the car so far as my new commuter/play car.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Your car looks great! So what is the trick to get the rear springs out? I haven't done it yet, but I thought that was the easy part?

OP
OP

SilverNv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Your car looks great! So what is the trick to get the rear springs out? I haven't done it yet, but I thought that was the easy part?
Just loosen one side of the rear suspension cradle and then remove the other bolts on the opposite side in order to get enough room to lower the cradle to get the spring out. Repeat for the other side

Sponsored

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Looks fantastic!
Sponsored