Best Rubber Remover After a Track Day - PSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
After trying a dozen or so different rubber mark remover products over the last year, I have finally found the holy grail and thought I'd pass it onto all of you. https://www.xpel.com/Flawless-Finish-Paint-Protection-Film-Cleaner-16-oz

The product is made by XPEL specifically for cleaning PPF, but I found it works exactly the same on non-ppf surfaces (paint, glass, plastic). To date, I haven't found anything that comes close to removing rubber marks after a track day. The only negative to this product is you need to follow it up with either a quick detailer or water, as it'll leave a light haze.

Hope this helps another track rat!
Sponsored

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Imma have to try that, it says hard water stains out of PPF, and my damn neighbor got me with his sprinkler -.-

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here's another trick:

Use WD40, spray the lower rear 1/4 panel behind the rear wheels before doing burnouts... wipes clean with a micro fiber, no harsh chemicals, and won't harm painted/cleared surfaces.

It works.

Sponsored

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
https://mothers.com/collections/special-care/products/r3-racing-rubber-remover-09224
Another product that my detailer suggests as it’s not harsh with a lot of chemicals plus I use it on my wheels after track days. Sorry to hijack the thread
Tried it. Hell, I even bought two bottles at the same time after reading the Amazon reviews. Sadly, it now sits on the shelf, lonely and untouched. If you’d like more, PM me. My detailing shelf is filled with products I’ve tested and no longer use.

2172AF0A-6262-4D77-B646-9501E1EA9560.jpeg

DRAGOON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
21 VB mach1 HP 6SP
Tried it. Hell, I even bought two bottles at the same time after reading the Amazon reviews. Sadly, it now sits on the shelf, lonely and untouched. If you’d like more, PM me. My detailing shelf is filled with products I’ve tested and no longer use.

2172AF0A-6262-4D77-B646-9501E1EA9560.jpeg
Thanks for the offer as I have 3 unused bottles in my detail box. I’ll check into the expel stuff. If you have moved on from the 3R to this expel, there’s no reason for me not to try it. I have had good results with 3R, both the car and wheels are ceramic coated so maybe that played into my better results that you. Thanks for the recommendation on a upgrade, always looking for something better.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Thanks for the offer as I have 3 unused bottles in my detail box. I’ll check into the expel stuff. If you have moved on from the 3R to this expel, there’s no reason for me not to try it. I have had good results with 3R, both the car and wheels are ceramic coated so maybe that played into my better results that you. Thanks for the recommendation on a upgrade, always looking for something better.
No sweat. Like you, I’m always looking for a better detailing product. If anyone else has a recommendation, please let me know. The XPEL’s only real flaw is the price…. But I guess you get what you pay for.

If/when you do give it a try, spray on and let it sit for 10-20 seconds before starting to wipe. I’m not sure what kind of chemical or black magic is in that bottle, but letting it sit on the bug/rubber for a few seconds prior to wiping makes removal effortless.

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
After trying a dozen or so different rubber mark remover products over the last year, I have finally found the holy grail and thought I'd pass it onto all of you. https://www.xpel.com/Flawless-Finish-Paint-Protection-Film-Cleaner-16-oz

The product is made by XPEL specifically for cleaning PPF, but I found it works exactly the same on non-ppf surfaces (paint, glass, plastic). To date, I haven't found anything that comes close to removing rubber marks after a track day. The only negative to this product is you need to follow it up with either a quick detailer or water, as it'll leave a light haze.

Hope this helps another track rat!
Pilotgore,

Thanks for the tip - I bought a bottle 2 minutes after reading your review. Looking forward to trying. I've had good luck with R3, but not magical.

My PPF guy suggested 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover - Aerosol #38987. I've been meaning to get around to trying, but since I already have an account with Xpel it just made life easy.

đź‘Ť

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Pilotgore,

Thanks for the tip - I bought a bottle 2 minutes after reading your review. Looking forward to trying. I've had good luck with R3, but not magical.

My PPF guy suggested 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover - Aerosol #38987. I've been meaning to get around to trying, but since I already have an account with Xpel it just made life easy.

đź‘Ť
Can’t wait to hear your thoughts! It cleans very well if you just spray and wipe, but I found it more effective if you let it sit for a bit before wiping. Just don’t wait too long or it’ll start to flash off.

Sponsored

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
My car has xpel on it and I noticed what looks like black smears in it on the front, mainly on the
lower parts of the car. I am guessing melted rubber? I cannot feel anything when I tried to
rub it off, it appears to be embedded. Is that what we are saying this cleaner will remove?
Thanks.

Hobdul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2022 Volvo V60 Polestar
I bought a bottle of Griot's Track Spray last month and will have the opportunity to test it out after my day at Thunderhill this Sunday--will update.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
My car has xpel on it and I noticed what looks like black smears in it on the front, mainly on the
lower parts of the car. I am guessing melted rubber? I cannot feel anything when I tried to
rub it off, it appears to be embedded. Is that what we are saying this cleaner will remove?
Thanks.
Yes

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Here's another trick:

Use WD40, spray the lower rear 1/4 panel behind the rear wheels before doing burnouts... wipes clean with a micro fiber, no harsh chemicals, and won't harm painted/cleared surfaces.

It works.
Yep.

Also, back in the '90s at the strip, we used to smear the lower rear quarters with white liquid shoe polish (the stuff in the bottle with the foam applicator) prior to starting. After the day's fun, all the molten rubber flecks wipe right off along with the polish.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.