Sponsored

Best rotor and pad for base gt brakes for track work

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Hi guys so I have base brakes on my gt, I don’t have the money for the pp yet cuz I would need rims also, I just destroyed my stock brakes so I need to replace the rotor and pads, can I get a recommentpdaion for good rotors and track oriented pads I don’t daily drive my car. Thanx
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
G-LOC R12/R8. Stock rotors (but must be cleaned up before using different pads), replace dust shield with PP ones and get brake cooling ducts. They are nowhere near as effective as on a rotor that has the (correct) venting on the inside, but it'll still help.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
G-LOC R12/R8. Stock rotors (but must be cleaned up before using different pads), replace dust shield with PP ones and get brake cooling ducts. They are nowhere near as effective as on a rotor that has the (correct) venting on the inside, but it'll still help.
Hey what up bro glad u responded, g-loc r12 am guessing those are pads right? Sorry not familiar...
What do u. Mean I have to clean them do u mean clean them with say brake cleaner if I wanna swap pads from track to street?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey what up bro glad u responded, g-loc r12 am guessing those are pads right? Sorry not familiar...
What do u. Mean I have to clean them do u mean clean them with say brake cleaner if I wanna swap pads from track to street?
You will need to take off the bedded material on the rotor from the stock pads. 80 grit sandpaper, by hand, and then clean with brake clean. If you use R12 and R8 for the track, and use GS-1 for the street, you will not have to clean up the rotor when you swap, as they're the same material family of pad.

www.opmustang.com

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
You will need to take off the bedded material on the rotor from the stock pads. 80 grit sandpaper, by hand, and then clean with brake clean. If you use R12 and R8 for the track, and use GS-1 for the street, you will not have to clean up the rotor when you swap, as they're the same material family of pad.

www.opmustang.com
Am gonna have to buy new rotors so I don’t think I have to worry bout cleaning anything right?
So do u mean r12 OR r8 or am I putting the r12 in the front and r8 in the back sorry am confused lol

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It will be easier if you just buy new blank rotors, and you can have more confidence in the rotors.

Yes, R12 in front, R8 in back.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
It will be easier if you just buy new blank rotors, and you can have more confidence in the rotors.

Yes, R12 in front, R8 in back.
Gotcha, yea am gonna need them anyways cuz I thrashed my current rotors this last time at the track. As far as the dirt shield, I took mine off u think helps at all?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha, yea am gonna need them anyways cuz I thrashed my current rotors this last time at the track. As far as the dirt shield, I took mine off u think helps at all?
It does somewhat but you really need forced cooling via cooling ducts. The JLT kit is good.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
It does somewhat but you really need forced cooling via cooling ducts. The JLT kit is good.
Oh that was my other question what kit to get haha cool. So any fade with this setup from ur experience what’s the good and bad any info will work

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What brake fluid u recommend?
Castrol SRF. Twice as expensive as Motul but also lasts >2 times as long and has the highest wet boiling point of any fluid I've seen by a large degree (which is what matters after you open the cap).

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Castrol SRF. Twice as expensive as Motul but also lasts >2 times as long and has the highest wet boiling point of any fluid I've seen by a large degree (which is what matters after you open the cap).
u say it lasts twice as long so say i do 3 to 4 track days about how often should i change it in comparison to the motul rb600?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
u say it lasts twice as long so say i do 3 to 4 track days about how often should i change it in comparison to the motul rb600?
You should be able to run a full season on SRF with minimal (if any) bleeding between track days. Motul you will want to change every 2-3 track days and bleed after each. That's the advice I got from experienced Mustang and Porsche guys.

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
Very useful information here. Thanks @BmacIL

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
You should be able to run a full season on SRF with minimal (if any) bleeding between track days. Motul you will want to change every 2-3 track days and bleed after each. That's the advice I got from experienced Mustang and Porsche guys.
oh man, more questions lol sorry, so full season for.me is 4track days a year max is that ok? also what do u mean by having to bleed betweem track days?
Sponsored