Best Resonator Delete for Active Exhaust

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I put on my 2020 Mustang GT California Special the Ford Performance X-pipe. If I had to estimate, it was about 20% louder than the AE stock system (definitely noticeable). As Stungjoe said, you don't realize how loud it is until you hear it from the outside when someone drives your car.

Over time, I became used to it and I wanted it louder, so I then upgraded to the BORLA ATAK Cat-back.
Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
no drone or excessive cabin noise. On a 3000-mile road trip I did slip it to quiet mode every now and then (just because I'm old and I even turned the radio off to enjoy the quiet).

What I was referring to was when I would get on it I thought it sounded to tinny-raspy from inside but outside it sounds awesome. @MidwayJ can attest to the sound. He's heard it in person. I have zero regrets on the Steeda H-pipe.

EDIT: American Muscle has an extensive collection of YouTube videos on the various X and H pipes installed on an active exhaust car. They go through each mode back to back.
Yes. I've heard Joe's and two others with H-pipe and stock active exhaust and they sound great.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Got a question.

Any reason why its a bad idea to just cut the stock resonator out and weld 2 stainless steel pipes to the stock exhaust?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Got a question.

Any reason why its a bad idea to just cut the stock resonator out and weld 2 stainless steel pipes to the stock exhaust?
If all you want is more volume, that will work fine.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
If all you want is more volume, that will work fine.
Yea wasn't sure if the pipes needed to be connected for support or something. But thanks for info.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP MT, Wife's 20 Mustang GT A10
Got a question.

I knew there was a reason for "sharing", but had to research the "why":

Due to crank design and firing order, most V engines (6 and above total cylinders) send multiple exhaust pulses down one pipe close together, causing back pressure. At the time these exhaust pulses are traveling down the pipe, there is a gap in pulses traveling down the other pipe. Make a resonator, X, or H share point between the pipes and back pressure is reduced, resulting in a bit of extra power as compared to straight pipes with no "share" point.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Got a question.

It’s all about sound quality with Crossovers. True duals will sound like Uncle Jesses F-100
or the General Lee…. YeeHaw 🤠.
Back pressure comes from bends, tube size and boundary layer friction.

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Back pressure comes from bends, tube size and boundary layer friction.
https://www.carid.com/articles/are-...n-straight-pipes-on-dual-exhaust-systems.html
and
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1...y-horsepower-but-which-is-best-for-your-ride/
and
https://www.autoanything.com/resources/x-pipe-vs-h-pipe-what-is-better-for-your-exhaust-system/
and
https://prosancons.com/vehicle/pros-and-cons-of-x-pipe/

Back pressure is not just bends, tube size and boundary layer friction. Crossover piping is there for more than just sound.

More research finds that the firing order of a flat plane crank can, and probably is, from one bank (side) to the other. Thus, a nice even left/right/left/right firing. So, an engine with flat plane crank would not benefit much from a crossover, and having one would be mostly for sound.

However, the Coyote's cross plane crank's fires left/right/left/right/right/left/right/left. Cylinders 8 and 6 fire one after the other, as do cylinders 2 and 1, and benefit from the exhaust crossover to help equalize back pressure. (Coyote firing order: 1, 5, 4, 8, 6, 3, 7, 2 (bold = left bank))

Last edited:

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I’ll raise you one screen shot.
A62CE4CE-0286-4F68-9154-B7DC4EFF878A.png

The late Joe Sherman knows his sh t.

Double or nothing
B62138F0-E7BF-4A00-98C4-9ACEE8F1D643.png

Last edited:

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Considering my 1989 5.0 made 225 hp, and my 2021 5.0 makes 460 hp, I'm guessing the engineers had to look for every hp they could find. And yes, both have some form of crossover.

It would definitely be interesting to see dyno numbers on the coyote with straight pipes on otherwise stock exhaust vs. resonator vs. X-pipe vs. H-pipe. The resonator, X and H have been done - the X makes a little more than H, which makes slightly more than resonator. If memory serves the numbers are approx. X = 5 hp over resonator and the H = 2 hp.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
You can consider any stock 2015+ to have straight pipes - there’s no crossover connection between the pipes inside the stock resonator.

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
You can consider any stock 2015+ to have straight pipes - there’s no crossover connection between the pipes inside the stock resonator.
Actually, the entire resonator body acts has the crossover. The photo shows the resonator guts after fiberglass packing removed, but it's clear that exhaust pulses are shared between the pipes.

resonator.jpeg

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Actually, the entire resonator body acts has the crossover. The photo shows the resonator guts after fiberglass packing removed, but it's clear that exhaust pulses are shared between the pipes.

resonator.jpeg
yeah, I wouldn’t count sound perforations as a crossover… They’re basically just pressurizing that interior, and with the packing in there, there’s not going to be a lot of flow from one side to the other.
Sponsored