Sponsored

Best procedure for removing stock blade style spoilers?

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
So I bought a PP2 spoiler finally! It’s on the way through eBay now...before anyone asks, of course I paid a lot for it. Not out of line with the going price. But I definitely didn’t get a great deal. I was tired of waiting for one to fall into my hands and there is always a tax on impatience.

What steps do you recommend for removing the stock trunk lid mounted spoilers without massacring the paint?

Based on an unpleasant spoiler extraction experience with my S197, There are the studs/nuts that hold the spoiler on and trim adhesive tape under the whole thing. Same with the S550? The tape proved to be a pain in the ass and the paint was marred by my efforts...which was fortunately not visible when the new spoiler was installed.

Any tips are welcome.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I used fishing wire. some heat, plastic ply tools. be very careful. once you get it off, I also used some clear / and went around the bolt holes, so help seal the paint around the edges, then have a friend to put the spoiler back on.

I did it myself, but wish I had a friend to help set it down when I did it, I touched surface and struggled to lift it back up to align it better.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I used 3m adhesive remover, I think it is yellow/black bottle, its the professional strength. it ate the residue when spoiler was off pretty quickly. I just used a couple microfiber clothes, I threw them in the trash when done. the residue is embedded into the rags.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback!!

I used fishing wire. some heat, plastic ply tools. be very careful. once you get it off, I also used some clear / and went around the bolt holes, so help seal the paint around the edges, then have a friend to put the spoiler back on.

I did it myself, but wish I had a friend to help set it down when I did it, I touched surface and struggled to lift it back up to align it better.
How much heat can we apply before it damages the paint? I’d also like to preserve the stock blade spoiler in case I need to sell the PP2 piece to use as a down payment on a Manhattan high rise office building.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly didn't need any heat. I removed all the bolts first, from under the panel, and gently lifted up one side, I cant remember exactly but it started to give a little, then I used fishing line and slid it back and fourth.

its been awhile, I watched a video on YouTube on swapping spoilers.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
watch this, its give you the idea what to expect. I think actually dented the metal in, a hair in one place, using my wedge. it was completely covered up with the spoiler, a small indent. be careful

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Paintless dent guys do wonders on the beer can thin deck lid. If I were to do another I'd never touch it with the plastic prybars I'd use fishing line and fo from end to end. Not front to back.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I used fishline and then the adhesive removal. Had no problems at all.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Paintless dent guys do wonders on the beer can thin deck lid. If I were to do another I'd never touch it with the plastic prybars I'd use fishing line and fo from end to end. Not front to back.
I used fishline and then the adhesive removal. Had no problems at all.
Neither of you guys needed to apply heat?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My garage was cold as balls. Once one side was free, and all bolts undone. It just slowly ripped the goo apart.

Sponsored

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
You definitely want to apply heat to the base of the spoiler to heat up the double sided tape. Makes it easier to remove. I used a plastic spackle knife and then put it inside of an old sock so it wouldn't scratch up the paint. Worked fine for me when I removed my blade spoiler. Just take your time and use a heat gun or hairdryer to heat up the tape.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks again to all. This is one of those simple jobs where doing it right is important. Rushing it means a damaged trunk lid and/or spoiler.
I’ve been working in my cars pretty hard for the past five years or so. I’ve learned a ton and I can usually figure anything out but unless I ask questions like this, I honestly tend to do things the “Max Power way” and breaking stuff in the process. :D

586F51B1-C09D-454C-8CFE-9E26831D802D.jpeg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Windshields have been remove for years using fishing line.
Mineral spirits removes the adhesive. Want to use heat and not real familiar or never have used a heat gun. I'd suggest a hair dryer.

The main thing is getting it started, a corner lifted. Once that has happen goes real easy form there.

Can also leave the car in the hot sun. That will soffen the adhesive, and go after it with fishing line .

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I recently swapped out my PP1 spoiler. The install of the new spoiler is a snap compared to removal! I tried fishing line but could not get it to work. I think I needed a much stronger line as it kept snapping even when using multiple strands. I used a little heat on mine but I was very concerned about damaging something with too much heat. I had to pull pretty hard straight up to get it to break free. Thankfully I didn't damage the trunk lid or the old spoiler. Cleaning off the old 3m adhesive takes time as well. Just try not to go too fast and you should be fine - good luck!

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I did mine on a hot, sunny day but the heat would make loosening the adhesive easier.

Sponsored