Sponsored

Best place to jack motor up during LT header install on a 10r80 car?

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Just received my shipment of Kooks catless longtubes (Black Friday) and planning out my garage install during the Xmas break. I've been watching lots of videos on it but there is not much info on the best place to jack up the motor, especially on a 10r80 car. Lot's of conflicting info on the forums too. I seen a vid showing a wide 2x4 on the composite oil pan and there were no issues. I don't have or want to buy an engine lift to support it from above so jacking up from below is the way I want to go.

I know plenty of people in here have installed their own longtubes on a 10r80 car. Where did you jack the motor up?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Norklin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10
Be prepared to cry.. I installed and removed mine lol..

Jack up the rear by the differential, I put the stands for the rear on the pinch weld cutout near the rear tires. No crinkling at all.

Jack up the front by the K member just behind the plastic shield. Be careful you're on it enough to not slip back onto the oil pan. I put the front stands on the K member to side beams just behind/inside front tires. Were not in the way at all.

GODSPEED.

Edit, you said the motor lol.

I put a 2x4 (shorty) inbetween the oil pan and the cooler lines, it fits right in-between the two on the bell housing vertically.

Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I went with the lumber/oil pan route with no issues. Keep in mind that if you do go with the trans pan, you may get in the way of your header install depending on the size of wood you're using.

Norklin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, keep the piece of wood short no matter which location you go with. Also keep in mind you should be doing one side at a time so it won't be the whole weight of the engine.

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the help! I just found a picture of someone jacking it up in the exact spot you both stated. I don't plan on removing either of the mounts themselves and only the brackets, which I will only do 1 at a time. I am replacing both brackets with BMR lowered brackets to make room for Cobra Jet manifold under the stock hood!

Sponsored

Norklin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I hope you ordered the E8 socket and ratcheting wrench

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I hope you ordered the E8 socket and ratcheting wrench
All part of my pre-planning. So they are in fact E8 and not E6? The LMR instructions say E6 but I have seen E8 in multiple other places, including here. I planned on ordering both just in case. I do still have to order those and some ratcheting wrenches with flex heads and in various lengths.

Norklin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
definitely E8, gear wrench makes an E8/E10 double sided ratchet wrench on Amazon for like 20 bucks I think. I just went to harbor freight and got like an E1 to E10 socket set for like 8 bucks for that part. Other than that a small ratcheting/flex head 15 will be helpful. Will need lots of extensions/swivel/tilted extension for the 15 on top of the passenger cat.
Sponsored