Sponsored

Best option to dispose of old wheels and tires?

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I have a set of old wheels with the old tires still mounted. Anybody know of the best way (i.e. the least amount of work from me) to dispose of them? Otherwise, I'll let the local landfill's recycling process take over.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Honestly I would put them up for free on Facebook or Craigslist and just say pickup only. Someone will take them within a few hours I bet.

Otherwise you can always dispose of tires properly at any tire store but it costs money (~$20) and you have to get them there. The wheels would be tough unless your local dump/recycle center takes large items. But again offering them for free to anyone would be a quick way to get rid of them.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Are the wheels aluminum? If so they are worth about 20 a piece at a recycling center. But they won't take them with tires on.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Are the wheels aluminum? If so they are worth about 20 a piece at a recycling center. But they won't take them with tires on.
They are chromed alloy. Any idea If the chrome layer would be a deal killer for recycling?

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I have a set of old wheels with the old tires still mounted. Anybody know of the best way (i.e. the least amount of work from me) to dispose of them? Otherwise, I'll let the local landfill's recycling process take over.
Sell on craigslist. Take good pictures. I sold mine.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Same here with my OEM F-150 wheels. Posted for $150 with tread on the tires still.

Hell the TPMS is worth that.

Anyhoo, there still there in storage. Might go with the free route

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Any idea If the chrome layer would be a deal killer for recycling?
Dude don't even bother with that. Like some of us mentioned, put them up on local for sale sites for either free or a ridiculous low price. They will be snatched up in a matter of hours and you won't have to bother loading them up in a car and unloading them at some recycle center. Just roll them to the edge of your driveway and let them be picked up by someone else.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
They are chromed alloy. Any idea If the chrome layer would be a deal killer for recycling?
Post a pic of them - what were they for and size? If they're for a specific vehicle platform, join the forum for that vehicle type and post them there, someone else may be looking for them.

As mentioned too, Craigs or the social media marketplaces will def ring in the audiences searching for XYZ type rims.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Embankment.

Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
This may work for you. There is a guy with a truck that drives through our neighborhood the day before "trash day". I see people putting out TV's, wheels, etc and he takes them. I'm guessing he taking them to a recycling facility.

Like many mentioned, list for free or super cheap and most likely someone will take them off your hands.

Funny story. I once had a leather living room couch set that was in great condition that I posted for free. I had people calling asking if it was really free, requesting more pictures than the 10 I had posted, and asking if I delivered. After two weeks, I said the heck with it and listed it for $300 and it sold the very next day.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Post a pic of them - what were they for and size?
They are at least 15 years old American Racing pieces of shit that came on my wife's used Suburban and have corroded beads such that at least two of them won't hold air even with beadsealer on them... Hence the term "dispose of".
Sponsored