Best mods for track/street combo driving

Joe Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 350
Nothing noticeable, but I honestly just think it looks better. That backseat was rather useless too because no one with legs could actually sit back there anyways.
is is louder inside the car?
Sponsored

OP
OP
BYBB1630

BYBB1630

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chandler
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
My question is :
What is goal?
I personally don't like seeing people suggesting things without knowing exactly what you would like to achieve.

Please get a little deeper on this :) I'm here to help :)
Alex
I totally missed your comment!

Good question! I want to keep the car to have the ability to do street duty still. That is important to me as I like to do canyon runs with my buddies.
Though, I would like to be able to push it at the track doing road course/HPDE. I am not really looking to race/compete personally, but primarily just looking to push myself and the car to get the best lap times I can to compete with myself. Also, I just enjoy building cars and modifying them and making them my own. I had a 95 E36 M3 before this car and had it all setup for the street/track duty and loved it, but I wanted something newer and more powerful. Hence why I got the GT350. Hope this gives you some ideas on suggestions!

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Hi everyone, been trying to find a thread on brake pads options but did not.

here is my issue.
As some of you know, I own the car in Europe and accessing some parts may be challenging.

And now it seems to also affect brake pads as I’m being told by my local importer that OEM brake pads are on back-order.
is that the case for you guys as well? Seems to me quite incredible given the track focus of the car.

would you be able to advise on any other brake pad option ? I love the performance of the OEM ones so not looking for something more, but if I need to change I don’t want anything under the OEM performance either.

not crazy track use with this car (I have a modified E92M3 for this).

thanks so much

Hey, if interested I have a set of used factory pads. They are in good shape. Changed out my friends pads to ceramic. Theses were removed from his 350R with 4000 miles. Send me a pm for pics and details.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I totally missed your comment!

Good question! I want to keep the car to have the ability to do street duty still. That is important to me as I like to do canyon runs with my buddies.
Though, I would like to be able to push it at the track doing road course/HPDE. I am not really looking to race/compete personally, but primarily just looking to push myself and the car to get the best lap times I can to compete with myself. Also, I just enjoy building cars and modifying them and making them my own. I had a 95 E36 M3 before this car and had it all setup for the street/track duty and loved it, but I wanted something newer and more powerful. Hence why I got the GT350. Hope this gives you some ideas on suggestions!
A 350 is a great car out of the box. For the track too.
As always
My advice is : feel your car.
Go to the track. Do 2 or 3 days. Set a baseline. AND THEN, evolve with the car.

The first mods you will do after are related to
Better grip
Better braking.

Grip : there are better tire options then your OEM one.
For track usage the 3R goodyear are the fastest tire available.
Those will improve your laptime and confidence (be careful: they are awful when is wet or supercold. Take your time to watm them up in sess1)
So i would invest money in a set of APEX WHEELS 19X11 squared to run 305mm 3R for track usage.

Brakes. The brake system is one of the best available. So u just want to change your pads with a more aggressive compound. For thisni suggest ferodo DS UNO. Great initial bite. Last long. No fade.

Suspension. There isn't a lot to do here. Springs are an option but i won't expect any real noticeable benefit.

You have chosen a car that is great at it is.
I personally will focus all my initial budget in..coaching.
Buy a nice camera. (Garmin vibe30)
Get an obd port bluetooth.
Make a nice video rendered with data. (Use RACERENDER3)

Submit your lap to RACER360.COM
and get a20-30 min analysis of your lap by a professional race driver for 99$!

I saw people spending 4000$ for a coilover system not knowing what they were doing " cause coilovers are faster"
Well do you think ee get faster buying ot or doing 40sessions of coaching? :)

Feel free to contact me anytime.
Alex

Sponsored

OP
OP
BYBB1630

BYBB1630

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chandler
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
A 350 is a great car out of the box. For the track too.
As always
My advice is : feel your car.
Go to the track. Do 2 or 3 days. Set a baseline. AND THEN, evolve with the car.

The first mods you will do after are related to
Better grip
Better braking.

Grip : there are better tire options then your OEM one.
For track usage the 3R goodyear are the fastest tire available.
Those will improve your laptime and confidence (be careful: they are awful when is wet or supercold. Take your time to watm them up in sess1)
So i would invest money in a set of APEX WHEELS 19X11 squared to run 305mm 3R for track usage.

Brakes. The brake system is one of the best available. So u just want to change your pads with a more aggressive compound. For thisni suggest ferodo DS UNO. Great initial bite. Last long. No fade.

Suspension. There isn't a lot to do here. Springs are an option but i won't expect any real noticeable benefit.

You have chosen a car that is great at it is.
I personally will focus all my initial budget in..coaching.
Buy a nice camera. (Garmin vibe30)
Get an obd port bluetooth.
Make a nice video rendered with data. (Use RACERENDER3)

Submit your lap to RACER360.COM
and get a20-30 min analysis of your lap by a professional race driver for 99$!

I saw people spending 4000$ for a coilover system not knowing what they were doing " cause coilovers are faster"
Well do you think ee get faster buying ot or doing 40sessions of coaching? :)

Feel free to contact me anytime.
Alex

Thank you for all the information!!!!!

I am already spending lots of time at the track and getting lessons each time and will continue to as it is by far the best investment.

With the wheels and tires, I already got them! 19x11 w/305-30-19 Michelin PS4S on all four corners.

Do you recommend the Ferodo DSUNO on just the front or the rear as well? I was planning on getting the Caliperfexion stud extension kit so I can swap pads really for the track. You are the third person to recommend these pads for the car.

What do you think of getting a race seat for the car? I have tech pack seats in my car and slide a little in them. I am a big guy, 6 foot, 265lbs with a 36in waist and 52in chest. Basically shaped like Johnny Bravo with actually built legs lol. So I stay put a little in the seats, but not amazingly. Anyways, finding a seat that would keep me in place, but not too small is something I worry about. Though, I feel this would probably be helpful. Thoughts?

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Thank you for all the information!!!!!

I am already spending lots of time at the track and getting lessons each time and will continue to as it is by far the best investment.

With the wheels and tires, I already got them! 19x11 w/305-30-19 Michelin PS4S on all four corners.

Do you recommend the Ferodo DSUNO on just the front or the rear as well? I was planning on getting the Caliperfexion stud extension kit so I can swap pads really for the track. You are the third person to recommend these pads for the car.

What do you think of getting a race seat for the car? I have tech pack seats in my car and slide a little in them. I am a big guy, 6 foot, 265lbs with a 36in waist and 52in chest. Basically shaped like Johnny Bravo with actually built legs lol. So I stay put a little in the seats, but not amazingly. Anyways, finding a seat that would keep me in place, but not too small is something I worry about. Though, I feel this would probably be helpful. Thoughts?
Use the PS4 for daily.
if you are going at the track already I strongly suggest a more track oriented tire.
thre are very fast tires out there.
but
to start to feel more and more the car I strongly suggest NITTO NT01. it is an older compound absolutely NOT the fastest. but
great wearing ( up to 7-8 days) consistent and predictable. so a great tire to start getting more into your car limits.

After this, you can go with a faster tires. like 3R.

dont ever buy any other nitto. like nt05 or 555. they just suck.
extensions are great.i'm sure tho you can drive around with DSUNO. some whissles and squeak but the daily will 'help cleaning' uneven deposit of pads on the rotors'

SEAT . the 350 has already a good seat ( i think you can lock the 3 point belt to hold you better.)
after market seat tends to be a little higher than OEM so if you are big you might keep this in consideration. the SEAT BRACKET is the key there are some companies doing it kind of flat while others ( like sparco) are 1' raised.
i would buy a seat only in case you have better seat belts like a 4 point with ASM (Schroth) or a 5 or 6 point. but then you need the rollbar.
so really up to you how much ' STREET CAR' you are ready to sacrifice to the "TRACK CAR'

you can find me and my car on IG
www.instagram.com/italian_stang
it is also easier for me to chat there in case you need :)
last,
the best 'track oriented forum is
trackmustangsonline.com

lots of expert guys there. they also have the FB group. strongly suggest that.

hope this help,
Alex

OP
OP
BYBB1630

BYBB1630

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chandler
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Use the PS4 for daily.
if you are going at the track already I strongly suggest a more track oriented tire.
thre are very fast tires out there.
but
to start to feel more and more the car I strongly suggest NITTO NT01. it is an older compound absolutely NOT the fastest. but
great wearing ( up to 7-8 days) consistent and predictable. so a great tire to start getting more into your car limits.

After this, you can go with a faster tires. like 3R.

dont ever buy any other nitto. like nt05 or 555. they just suck.
extensions are great.i'm sure tho you can drive around with DSUNO. some whissles and squeak but the daily will 'help cleaning' uneven deposit of pads on the rotors'

SEAT . the 350 has already a good seat ( i think you can lock the 3 point belt to hold you better.)
after market seat tends to be a little higher than OEM so if you are big you might keep this in consideration. the SEAT BRACKET is the key there are some companies doing it kind of flat while others ( like sparco) are 1' raised.
i would buy a seat only in case you have better seat belts like a 4 point with ASM (Schroth) or a 5 or 6 point. but then you need the rollbar.
so really up to you how much ' STREET CAR' you are ready to sacrifice to the "TRACK CAR'

you can find me and my car on IG
www.instagram.com/italian_stang
it is also easier for me to chat there in case you need :)
last,
the best 'track oriented forum is
trackmustangsonline.com

lots of expert guys there. they also have the FB group. strongly suggest that.

hope this help,
Alex
Sent you a message on instagram!!!

Bluestang59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Kona Blue, sold 2017 GT PP1 Lightning Blue,,
I have a squared 19x11 setup already on 305 PS4S! This was the best mod I have done on the car though by far compared to the others.
What was the impact on the tram lining going to 305 on the front ?

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
One thing I'd caution - pretty much anything you do to the 350 to improve performance will make it worse on the street (outside of a few arguable things like tires/power). This is mostly because the 350 is so good right out of the box.

My suggestion is to drive it for a while, understand where you feel the car is weak for you (track and street), then explore if it truly is the car that is weak or if it is more related to your driving. For example, lots of folks chase understeer on this car too far because they're driving it in a non-optimal way on track. A fair amount of newer drivers that I've worked with that start to reach the limit will complain about front grip on turn-in and think they need stickier tires/suspension changes/aero, etc. But in reality, they just need to adjust how they're setting the car up for the corner instead.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
A fair amount of newer drivers that I've worked with that start to reach the limit will complain about front grip on turn-in and think they need stickier tires/suspension changes/aero, etc. But in reality, they just need to adjust how they're setting the car up for the corner instead.
This could not be more true for most of us non-professional drivers… I speak from direct experience & Kevin obviously knows how to read us amateurs.

Spot on there I believe Kevin.

Late braking on every corner does NOT give you better lap times…!
Sponsored

Last edited: