Sponsored

Best mice deterrent for winter car storage?

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
All that kitty has to do is get scared and the claws automatically pop out and then your talking about scratches through the clearcoat into the paint.
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT

gwKlYyB.jpg

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I keep my cars covered in my driveway during the winter here in NJ so I deal with this every year.

Before covering the cars in November, I take plastic topper wear containers, put 5 cotton balls in them and I douse them with peppermint oil (bought at the local grocery store).

I place 2 containers inside the passenger compartment. 1 container in the trunk and 3 or 4 containers in the engine compartment. I then cover the car.

I also take some of the used kitty litter when our cat is done with it, put it in big topper wear container and place them underneath the car (under the engine compartment).

I keep replacing the used kitty litter throughout the week as our cat is done with it.

The sent of used cat litter should keep them away from the engine bay.

I did this for the first time last winter with much success, there was minimal signs of wild life (seeds, dropping, etc) inside the engine compartment come spring time. A plus was the wonderful smell of peppermint inside the passenger compartment that lingered for the first 4 weeks of spring lol.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I like Fresh Cab. It's not poison, it's all natural and it doesn't smell bad at all.

I agree in theory that you should keep mice out altogether, but it's not always possible. I have used the bucket with water in the bottom and peanut butter on a suspended can for a mouse trap and gotten 10 or more at a time. I live in the city but my property is large and has a rural feeling.

All that kitty has to do is get scared and the claws automatically pop out and then your talking about scratches through the clearcoat into the paint.
I don't know about that, but rocks and dirt on the cat's paws absolutely will scratch your car's paint. I keep the cat out of the garage. Otherwise they are constantly on the cars.

Jeff58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang EcoBoost HPP
I take care of feral cats, and they come into my garage..............I use a couple car covers and devices that have an alarm that goes off if they jump on the car....but I still have a few scratches in the lower black trim......trying to determine if there is anything I can do for those.....

Sponsored

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
I keep my cars covered in my driveway during the winter here in NJ so I deal with this every year.

Before covering the cars in November, I take plastic topper wear containers, put 5 cotton balls in them and I douse them with peppermint oil (bought at the local grocery store).

I place 2 containers inside the passenger compartment. 1 container in the trunk and 3 or 4 containers in the engine compartment. I then cover the car.

I also take some of the used kitty litter when our cat is done with it, put it in big topper wear container and place them underneath the car (under the engine compartment).

I keep replacing the used kitty litter throughout the week as our cat is done with it.

The sent of used cat litter should keep them away from the engine bay.

I did this for the first time last winter with much success, there was minimal signs of wild life (seeds, dropping, etc) inside the engine compartment come spring time. A plus was the wonderful smell of peppermint inside the passenger compartment that lingered for the first 4 weeks of spring lol.
Sounds like a lot of work. Glad it's successful though.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
And there damn good at it haha

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Can confirm this works. Gonna need a lot to ring the car though :crackup:
Also don't step on them yourself. Shit is seriously sticky.
This is actually a great idea!!
One on the ground outside of each tire and one on the ground inside of each tire. That should work.

Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Sounds like a lot of work. Glad it's successful though.
Setting up the cotton ball containers is easy.
as far as the used cat litter.......... I would have to walk past the cars if I was to throw the litter in the garbage.
placing the used litter under the cars saves me from walking an extra 20 feet hahaha !!

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Up here in Wisconsin we use bounce fabric softener sheets for our cars and our boats when storing for the winter. Works great.
It does. That is what I do as well.
Plus, it makes the garage smell great! :giggle:
Sponsored