Sponsored

Best method/product to reduce rasp

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
Hey guys, I recently installed stainless power headers to my mbrp Street catback exhaust the product of which sounds amazing and very race car like. Another product of this combo is lots of rasp. Under 3k it sounds very good (low tone, very "lumpy" sounding ) over 3k you get loads more volume and lots of straight up race car rasp.

I'm looking for a method or product that best eliminates some of the rasp. I understand that the over all volume would also decrease as well. For those of you running or have ran lth and have used products to eliminate rasp; what success have you had. I've looked into dynomax bullets/vibrant resonators to help eliminate some. Of the volume/rasp. Any advice/experience would be appreciated, thanks.:cheers:
Sponsored

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
I've heard 'j pipes' being added, basically chambers toward the rear of the exhaust that trap some air and somehow reduce the rasp. Let me see if I can find a decent picture.

MJS-P51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic Metallic
H-pipe?

OP
OP

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
The mbrp Street catback exhaust I have comes with an H pipe.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
I think this will be my route. I'm wondering if a muffler or resonator would be better at taming the rasp.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
On my '05 with longtubes, H-pipe and Corsa mufflers it was awful without cats. Too much rasp. I cut a section from the rear of the H-pipe and welded in 2 (one on each side) Vibrant resonators. They were 12'' long and it really toned down the rasp. Find the part# Vibrant resonator you want according to the diameter pipe you have and then find them on ebay. I think I paid $60-$70 each with shipping. Good product, 304 polished stainless.

NEED2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT base PP Borla s-type H pipe
I have the MBRP street. Like you said it sounds great under 3k, but after that lots of raspy sounds. What I have come up with is to get new axle backs, and keep the H-pipe. Going with magnaflo comp or flowmaster outlaws. You will get more drone but I will deal with drone to get no rasp sound. This will also give me more sound at idle which I'm looking for as well. How much louder is your car at idle after you installed headers?

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Exhaust tone deepens with two things: bigger pipe diameter, and longer sections of pipe. Your best bet is to measure how much "free space" you have in the pipe, and get the biggest diameter, longest straight-through style resonator you can find. I believe dynomax, flowmaster, and other companies sell pretty big resonators that are 24" long.

OP
OP

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
I have the MBRP street. Like you said it sounds great under 3k, but after that lots of raspy sounds. What I have come up with is to get new axle backs, and keep the H-pipe. Going with magnaflo comp or flowmaster outlaws. You will get more drone but I will deal with drone to get no rasp sound. This will also give me more sound at idle which I'm looking for as well. How much louder is your car at idle after you installed headers?
The car is easily 50% louder volume wise with headers. The rasp is much more pronounced as well. At idle it's is probably 10% louder. If I baby it in 2/3rd it's not really all that much different, but man you Crack 3k and it screams like you woke an angry bear.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
Exhaust tone deepens with two things: bigger pipe diameter, and longer sections of pipe. Your best bet is to measure how much "free space" you have in the pipe, and get the biggest diameter, longest straight-through style resonator you can find. I believe dynomax, flowmaster, and other companies sell pretty big resonators that are 24" long.
I will likely go with these
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-24219

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
http://www.borla.com/products/mustang_gt_resonator_part__60561.html

Just another option. Bought this to get rid of the rasp with my Kooks catted headers and FRPP Touring by Borla Catback. It knocked everything down. There's no rasp but doesn't sound much louder then stock either. Going to replace it with some louder mufflers.
Sponsored