Best looks yet at 2020 GT500 engine and underhood

MPotter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Looks like that catch can has a drain hose to send the collected oil back into the engine.
Or plug/re-route... Keep that frothy oil/water mix out of my engine, if you please.
Sponsored

RAUSP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rudolf
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
More important apart from the size of the oil separator is that it's eventually maintenance free.
"Real" sports cars had forever a flow back of the oil-catch. For that reason I believe it must be stock (or they have to plug the engine hole for that flow back line) and should be also allowed in California.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
You are correct. I was trying to figure out what that was, considering the position, but as soon as I read your post, I was like yeah! I see it clearly now. So next question, stock or aftermarket ?
Aftermarket ford did the same thing with the gt350, pre production cars they all had oil separators. Watch the motortrend review you can see them on the dyno

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
That engine is sitting real low compared to the older GT500s. Lower center of gravity, better handling.
I don't believe that to be correct. Engine elevation, say the longitudinal crank centerline, would be no different on a new GT500 than a new GT350 or an older GT500. The height is driven by oil pan ground clearance, clearance between the oil pan and the steering rack and crossmember, exhaust clearance starting at the cylinder heads on down and then back, and the fact that the transmission height from the ground is directly related to that of the engine (which then dictates driveshaft height relative to the ground, exhaust clearance, and has an impact on driveline angles).

What is lower is the blower case relative to the engine. Ford has stated that they lowered it such that it's center of gravity was as low as possible which helps to mimize the potential impact it has on certain vehicle dynamics.

So , where is the battery located ?
If you look closely at some of the development cars that were captured with their hoods open you can see the cables exiting the same location as all other S550 cars. That being, passenger side, between the strut tower and the firewall, hidden behind removable cladding.

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
What is lower is the blower case relative to the engine. Ford has stated that they lowered it such that it's center of gravity was as low as possible which helps to mimize the potential impact it has on certain vehicle dynamics.
Makes sense. I suppose because the blower's height is lower, it made the whole engine look like is lower.
Thanks for the info.

Just too bad this car doesn't come in Manual. But I suppose the DCT can handle the TQ better than regular clutch.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aftermarket ford did the same thing with the gt350, pre production cars they all had oil separators. Watch the motortrend review you can see them on the dyno
Except those separators were "Bob's" units and not FR designed separators. The one showing on the 2020 GT500 says Ford Performance on its top half.

Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I’m excited for that tower brace/ hood prop setup.

Engine bay looks very nice and neat

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I would fully expect oil separators on any test mules out there running around. Allows quick pull of oil analysis and testing.

That being said, it looks very factory to me.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
I bet that this motor must be only port injected since they lowered the compression ratio for the blower. Less plumbing on top may confirm this detail.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We've known for a few months now that it was port fuel only.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Look closely. The above GT500 is sporting a passenger side oil separator, a rather large one at that.
Yeah, I'm sure it'll come in handy in someones collection.
Sponsored