Sponsored

Best long block (for boost) that could theoretically run on a stock tune and pass CA smog?

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
…that will be a pain to swap everything over everytime you need to get a smog test.
as my grandpa said…suck it up, cupcake ( well, he had a different word that I can’t type here, but rhymes with “bucker” or “trucker”)

some of us were swapping out our EVO injectors, AFC2s, gutted cats, CAIs, and Home Depot boost controllers every other year…long before these yahoos knew what NLTS was 😂

TLDR…you gotta pay to play!
Sponsored

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
as my grandpa said…suck it up, cupcake ( well, he had a different word that I can’t type here)

some of us were swapping out our EVO injectors, AFC2s, gutted cats, CAIs, and Home Depot boost controllers every other year…long before these yahoos knew what NLTS was 😂
that’s definitely some serious dedication!

OP
OP
illadvised

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
What’s the end goal? If you run e85 and boost you’ll need a fuel system, that will be a pain to swap everything over everytime you need to get a smog test.
93 or 91 with vp octanium and BAP can get you decent power with a whipple, we’ve pushed cars over 700rwhp on pump fuel.
I am in CA where e85 is all over, and 91 is as high as our premium goes unfortunately. I could do an octane booster every tank (I did on my last car), I just assumed a tuner would prefer to go straight to e85?

I have a BAP and have already been swapping the intake, injectors and manifold back for every smog test now; at least it's only once every two years. I basically have that stuff off once a year for random reasons anyways. The return style fuel system is the only thing I'm inexperienced with.

Is it hard to switch back and forth between the two fuel setups? I've seen in pictures that there's extra fuel lines and stuff in the engine bay, but I'm assuming I could find a shop to ignore the visual (and I could pull it off if needed). What all is involved with a return style system that cannot be easily returned to stock?

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
I am in CA where e85 is all over, and 91 is as high as our premium goes unfortunately. I could do an octane booster every tank (I did on my last car), I just assumed a tuner would prefer to go straight to e85?

I have a BAP and have already been swapping the intake, injectors and manifold back for every smog test now; at least it's only once every two years. I basically have that stuff off once a year for random reasons anyways. The return style fuel system is the only thing I'm inexperienced with.

Is it hard to switch back and forth between the two fuel setups? I've seen in pictures that there's extra fuel lines and stuff in the engine bay, but I'm assuming I could find a shop to ignore the visual (and I could pull it off if needed). What all is involved with a return style system that cannot be easily returned to stock?
different fuel lines, regulator, different drop in fuel hat, wiring is different as well. If you purchase a quality fuel system (fore), you’re essentially replacing the entire stock fuel system. You could keep the stock fuel lines in the car though. I’d also assume you’d pass emissions with a fuel system and custom tune.

Sponsored

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Some guys have all the luck!:)
I am sure you don’t mean me 🥺
That’s why I kept spares 😬… Done drag racing now so hopefully will have better luck with the Fox /coyote swaps … may be I will do car shows . Figure less chance of breaking stuff that way 😏

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I am sure you don’t mean me 🥺
That’s why I kept spares 😬… Done drag racing now so hopefully will have better luck with the Fox /coyote swaps … may be I will do car shows . Figure less chance of breaking stuff that way 😏
I'm talking about him getting the end of a build. I didn't stumble upon anything nearly as convenient when doing mine.

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
If you just rebuilt your engine stronger and kept the same compression ratio, didn't add some weird cams, you'll be fine on stock tune.

If you add a power adder, use a CA approved power adder/supercharger kit because then you can use their tune to pass smog. Swapping stuff for smog can be expensive and time consuming even if you're doing the work yourself.. I have a gen 2 I have to probably start smogging next year, my plan for now is just to use stock tune that came with my SC kit.
Sponsored

Last edited: