Sponsored

Best intake system for 2017 Mustang GT

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Without a tune to take advantage of it, you won't accomplish a lot with an aftermarket intake. Most of them are just going to increase your intake air temp.

I have a Mishimoto induction hose right now, primarily because I wanted to eliminate the sound pipe without just capping off the stock tube. The manufacturer claims 15hp and 15 lbs/tq without a tune, but i'm not sure I believe it.

A lot of engineering seems to have gone into the PMAS. Anecdotally, my gut tells me that most of the other air intakes are really no different than an autozone spectre that you put together yourself. It's a larger pipe, a metal heat shield, and a big ass cone filter. How in the hell can you put a $300 price tag on that? It's definitely not R&D amortization.

Long story short, a tune from Lund or Livernois with the stock intake is likely going to be the best bang for your buck. The stock box flows well.

I'd love to see a scientific comparison of the various intakes vs the stock box on tuned cars, where the intake is the *only* variable involved.

The nicest aftermarket intake I ever had was an APR carbon intake. Matched with a downpipe and a stage 2 tune, I was putting down some pretty solid numbers. On our cars you're gonna make most gains with any combination of the following: tune, e85, and headers. You need to add boost if you're looking to go an order of magnitude higher than any of that.
Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
For me Steeda's Velocity Stack CAI works VERY well with the cool ambient air in my neck of the woods.

BUT...the few hot summer months of heat will turn the CAI into a HAI.
You can't have the best of everything all the time.
IMOP (and for many) the factory stock air box may still offer the best all around solution, depending upon your expectations?

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
We have done tests on the competitors CAIs & you will be very happy with the Steeda unit - our industry exclusive velocity stack smooths out incoming air flow to allow for the most consistent & turbulence free airflow - providing peak performance & exceptional idle quality.

The Steeda Tune & CAI are a great combination as stated on page 1!

TJ

PROJECTeleven

KCCO DFW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
twentyseventeen gt/pp
Steeda CAI/Tune is the way to go. Put up big numbers on the dyno this past Saturday

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I installed an Airaid MIT and high flow filter in the stock airbox this weekend, and while the gains are not ground breaking, there seems to be a slight improvement in the mid and upper rev range. I plan on logging the MAF to see how much if any increase is shown (stock tune).

Sponsored

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Do you guys have something that will work with the cobra jet manifold on our cars?
I can put something together that will work pretty well.

Our 11-14 GT CJ tube.
2015+ heat shield
4.5x6 filter.

I've done this setup for multiple guys on this forum and it fits pretty well for something not intended for the car.

Let me know.

Vinny

PROJECTeleven

KCCO DFW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
twentyseventeen gt/pp
For some numbers to look at, this is what my car put down before full catback.

Bama 93 Race - Tune 1 maxed at 401whp / 391tq
Run 2: 391whp / 386.5tq

Steeda 93 - Tune 2 maxed at 412whp / 395tq
Run 2: 409whp / 390tq

Only performance mods are:
Steeda CAI
Ford Racing X-Pipe(resonator delete)

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'm stuck in the same boat. The stock intake does work well, but the tube can always be improved. I'm liking JLT's one because I can get it in Grabber Blue! The intake won't like the Texas heat though which is the downside, but I'm rarely caught in traffic.

If there's one thing I have learned about intakes in these modern cars is they don't offer much of a gain over the stock ones anymore.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm stuck in the same boat. The stock intake does work well, but the tube can always be improved. I'm liking JLT's one because I can get it in Grabber Blue! The intake won't like the Texas heat though which is the downside, but I'm rarely caught in traffic.

If there's one thing I have learned about intakes in these modern cars is they don't offer much of a gain over the stock ones anymore.
I have proof of that. Will be making a thread in the next day or so to share my findings.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
we always go with the jlt or pmas,

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
We always go with Steeda - Steeda has been building Cold Air Intakes for Ford performance vehicles longer than any other company!

Best Regards,

TJ

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I have proof of that. Will be making a thread in the next day or so to share my findings.
I am curious to see your findings. I have logs of the stock setup and then with an intake tube and high flow filters. They show an increase in airflow, but I dont know hit it compares to a "full intake".

*this is with the stock tune.
Sponsored