nubdub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nabdeep
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Hi all,

I live in Virginia and unfortunately they require cars to have a front license plate. I would like to have a license plate holder that can easily be removed for car events so I was wondering if anyone could give me their two cents on which holder they use and their experience with it.

Custom License Plate Bracket SHELBY GT350, GT350R, 2015-2019 (carrollshelbyracing.com)
This one looks nice since the license plate is positioned where the factory one would be. Only concern is that it is mounted via 3M VHB tape and I can't find any reviews of it on forums or Youtube. I'm worried that the 3M tape might damage the paint if I have to remove it and that it won't last. If any of you guys have experience with using this bracket, I would very much appreciate your two cents!

Sto N Sho SNS90 Mustang Shelby GT350 License Plate Bracket (15-20) (steeda.com)
I've seen many people use this license plate bracket. However, I've heard reports of people scraping the base mount and the bottom of their license plates so I would like to avoid that. From pictures, it looks like the bottom of the license plate is held much lower than the splitter which is a problem.

Amazon.com: Dasen Lower Grille Front License Plate Mount Bracket Removable Compatible with 2015-2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350/GT350R - No Drilling: Automotive
This is the bracket I currently have. Not gonna lie, it was a bit of a hassle to get it installed and it isn't the most convenient license plate to remove (Would have to unscrew the plate to get to the nuts and bolts that hold the grill hooks in place). However, it gets the job done. I have till the end of January to return it to Amazon should I have to.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback, thank you!
Sponsored

FSU350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I live in VA as well and have the first one sold by Shelby Racing. Have had it on for 10 months now with no issues.

Sagittaria

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
I've had the craigs version (same thing?) on mine for coming up on 3 years and 20k miles. No issues. Temps ranging from 20 to 100 deg F. I felt this was the best location compared to the other options.

3M VHB like any other adhesive is highly dependent on prep work/installer. Experiences will vary as a result. I have fair amount of experience using VHB on Go Pros/motorcycles/helmets and was pretty meticulous. Have full faith in my application.

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
I have the first one as well, though I don't have a GT350. I live in the Chicago area and my car is a DD with pleny of long distance highway trips. A year later no issues at all... rain, sleet, snow etc.

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hey Nubdub, take a look at ZL1 addons. They have a license plate holder that you can attach a tow hook to when you remove the license plate. That’s the route I plan to go.

Sponsored

OP
OP
nubdub

nubdub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nabdeep
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Hey Nubdub, take a look at ZL1 addons. They have a license plate holder that you can attach a tow hook to when you remove the license plate. That’s the route I plan to go.
I've looked at this option and I would definitely go with it. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to remove the front bumper for the install but I would consider the tow hook as a future project.

OP
OP
nubdub

nubdub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nabdeep
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
I've had the craigs version (same thing?) on mine for coming up on 3 years and 20k miles. No issues. Temps ranging from 20 to 100 deg F. I felt this was the best location compared to the other options.

3M VHB like any other adhesive is highly dependent on prep work/installer. Experiences will vary as a result. I have fair amount of experience using VHB on Go Pros/motorcycles/helmets and was pretty meticulous. Have full faith in my application.
Thanks! Yeah it seems like they are the same, the descriptions are pretty much identical. For 3M tape install, I've always just prepped the surface by wiping with alcohol, is there anything special that you do/recommend?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Have you considered this option?

MOVE

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Sponsored

Pizzatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I installed a bracket using the honeycomb grill. I used something similar on my F80 M3 from another company and it works well without having to drill or stick anything. The bracket and plate is fit and secure. It may slightly decrease airflow but for street driving it did not create any issues for me. Just another option I decided to go with.

https://www.392advisors.com/ford-plate-brackets

Sagittaria

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Thanks! Yeah it seems like they are the same, the descriptions are pretty much identical. For 3M tape install, I've always just prepped the surface by wiping with alcohol, is there anything special that you do/recommend?
Nope they include the various prep wipes with the packages. There's plenty of videos/guides on how to correctly prep for VHB online too. It's not bad.

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to remove the front bumper for the install but I would consider the tow hook as a future project.
hey sir be aware, I installed this setup thru the bottom of the car and had decent access. Didn’t want to remove the front bumper either. Now that was on my 2019 PP2 and had to remove the front splitter. Not sure if will be the same on the GT350, but will find out soon.

OP
OP
nubdub

nubdub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nabdeep
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Have you considered this option?

MOVE
Haha I wish. Fact is there are a lot of job opportunities for my line of work where I live so I don't plan on moving anytime soon.

OP
OP
nubdub

nubdub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nabdeep
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
hey sir be aware, I installed this setup thru the bottom of the car and had decent access. Didn’t want to remove the front bumper either. Now that was on my 2019 PP2 and had to remove the front splitter. Not sure if will be the same on the GT350, but will find out soon.
Gotcha could you let me know how it goes once you finish? I would really appreciate it!
Sponsored