Best FI Kit for a '19 GT with MT82?

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
You're incorrect on every kit beside the roush outperforming the ESS. You're comparing ESS smallest head unit the G2 which has ran 9.3-9.4 1/4 mile. The G3 has made over 1000rwhp, I've seen 4.4 60-130 from that kit and 154 mph trap speeds so far. The kit is pretty new cars will get faster.

You said you had to re install the supercharger on the ess car but say procharger is easier to install?? I've helped install both and there's a lot more steps in a procharger install.

Little late to the party on this subject, we just finished doing an install of a 3.8 whipple on a GT350 making 950 to the wheels on their biggest pulley lol, and that was to 7500rpm and not 8500!

With that said, we're not on here as much as we'd like cause we're the ones under the cars, doing the supercharger installs, beta testing for supercharger companies and doing the work.

So, I hear a lot about ESS. We just had a customer with the G2 kit do the install and a fuel system however, we had to completely remove the fuel system and supercharger system and reinstall everything. No fault to ESS just the customer is not extremely tech savvy. On an Automatic, Lund tuning, the customer run 9.9 in the 1/4 which, with a fuel system on E85... which is decent. Pretty much any kit out there will and can run 9's (even the roush), the Whipple 3.0 kit could potentially get you into the low 9's as well as a Procharger .... if it doesnt snap the crank can get there too on a stock block. I ran a 9.9 in 2017 with a VMP Gen2r on a TR6060 car. We also ran low 9's in a Vortech JT-B in 2018 and my old employee ran 8.28 in a whipple gen 3 back in 2017/18. Just examples of times if thats important to you at all.

I wouldnt purchase a supercharger kit based off the simplicity of installation, if that was the case then everyone would own a procharger kit, but they dont.

Every kit has their pros and cons. ESS = cost, to me thats about it. Speaking from experience, every other kit out there minus roush can and will out-perform that kit, if you dont believe me just look at records and who's posting their times.

If you're looking for a kit just for the street, lets look at maintenance. From what I understand after the first 2k miles you'll need to change the oil in the ESS head unit... do not overfill as you'll A. break the seals and B. have oil literally all over your engine bay. then i think its every other oil change, but I could be wrong with the intervals. Procharger, vortech, paxton are about the same as far as maintenance goes. In order to remove the oil in the head unit on centris most come with a drain line, ESS you'll use a suction tool to pull as much oil out, at least thats how it was with the head unit that was just at our shop, it was new as well.

Whipple, Roush, VMP, Edelbrock, Magnuson, you'll need to inspect the belt, and pullies, once you put oil in the head unit, you can basically forget about it. I've gone 125k miles on a whipple head unit without changing its oil, not one single problem. We've done about 75k on a VMP and never once had to worry about it.

Its also the small things that we like about Whipple, all the way down to the packaging, the connections. Everything is clear, everything is OEM quality, no worm clamps with fuel lines for everything. Literal OEM connections for everything, after installing 100+ kits you begin to appreciate the small things, which is why we recommend Whipple.

I'm not here to bash any particular company, at all. This is real world experience, driving, installation, fitment, etc. We dont have experience with just one brand, we have experience with every brand, not just with selling, but with installation.
Sponsored

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
You're incorrect on every kit beside the roush outperforming the ESS. You're comparing ESS smallest head unit the G2 which has ran 9.3-9.4 1/4 mile. The G3 has made over 1000rwhp, I've seen 4.4 60-130 from that kit and 154 mph trap speeds so far. The kit is pretty new cars will get faster.

You said you had to re install the supercharger on the ess car but say procharger is easier to install?? I've helped install both and there's a lot more steps in a procharger install.
Again, my statement stands frankly from experience. ESS cant touch procharger, too many options from procharger and we've had plenty of Whipples over 1k hp. Both Procharger and ESS are very easy to install, procharger has also been out longer which is why I mark them as being easier to install. We've also seen mid 8's on a 2.3 VMP. A rolling number means nothing to me honestly.

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
You have just as many options from ESS up to a 2000hp head unit. An bracket system that comes setup for 10 rib when you need to make that 1200 plus.

Again, my statement stands frankly from experience. ESS cant touch procharger, too many options from procharger and we've had plenty of Whipples over 1k hp. Both Procharger and ESS are very easy to install, procharger has also been out longer which is why I mark them as being easier to install. We've also seen mid 8's on a 2.3 VMP. A rolling number means nothing to me honestly.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP

Also, I was corrected. Our customer had the G3 head unit and ran 9.9.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
You have just as many options from ESS up to a 2000hp head unit. An bracket system that comes setup for 10 rib when you need to make that 1200 plus.
Ok, I'm glad you really like ESS. Hopefully we see an actual car make 2k hp with one of these blower kits let alone 1200 and up.

Sponsored

19BULLITTwhipple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramzi
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019
Ok, I'm glad you really like ESS. Hopefully we see an actual car make 2k hp with one of these blower kits let alone 1200 and up.

I feel like this is a bad point.....

This guy isn't looking to make over 1200 whp

It's a stick car he's going to want to win races from time to time and favorable power delivery

Are you saying the other companies have been 7's in the quarter mile and Ess doesn't have the records? Most people aren't going to do all of that anyway

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
I feel like this is a bad point.....

This guy isn't looking to make over 1200 whp

It's a stick car he's going to want to win races from time to time and favorable power delivery

Are you saying the other companies have been 7's in the quarter mile and Ess doesn't have the records? Most people aren't going to do all of that anyway
No where did I elude to a kit making 2k HP, I was merely quoting the other person who stated they have a head unit that can make 2k hp.

Thats when I responded with, hope we actually see that. If silicon piping can support it that, let alone 1200hp.

As for a daily driver, my original post makes some valid points.

Brevin@ESS

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
We also ran low 9's in a Vortech JT-B in 2018 and my old employee ran 8.28 in a whipple gen 3 back in 2017/18. Just examples of times if thats important to you at all.
We also ran low 9’s with a G2 supercharger. $4800 kit, fuel system, and an other wise stock vehicle full weight. The G2 is half the size of the JT-B. So yes, I believe times are important. 60-130 times are also very important and take away many of the variables that the 1/4 can introduce. Respectfully, your anecdotal experience isn’t based off what hundreds of our customers are doing with these systems. Dollar for dollar and mod for mod there’s nothing else that will get you that performance in that price range. And that includes our larger blowers. We do understand however that business’s will push the products that make them money. And that’s understandable.

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
No you said ESS couldn't touch procharger because they have too many options so I merely stated they have a 2000hp head unit.

But back on topic OP whatever system you decide to go with all make plenty of power and all are good kits. Comes down to how you want the power delivered.

No where did I elude to a kit making 2k HP, I was merely quoting the other person who stated they have a head unit that can make 2k hp.

Thats when I responded with, hope we actually see that. If silicon piping can support it that, let alone 1200hp.

As for a daily driver, my original post makes some valid points.

Sponsored

CUL8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT vert. PP1, 401A, AE, 6spd, ESS G2/G3
Little late to the party on this subject, we just finished doing an install of a 3.8 whipple on a GT350 making 950 to the wheels on their biggest pulley lol, and that was to 7500rpm and not 8500!

With that said, we're not on here as much as we'd like cause we're the ones under the cars, doing the supercharger installs, beta testing for supercharger companies and doing the work.

So, I hear a lot about ESS. We just had a customer with the G2 kit do the install and a fuel system however, we had to completely remove the fuel system and supercharger system and reinstall everything. No fault to ESS just the customer is not extremely tech savvy. On an Automatic, Lund tuning, the customer run 9.9 in the 1/4 which, with a fuel system on E85... which is decent. Pretty much any kit out there will and can run 9's (even the roush), the Whipple 3.0 kit could potentially get you into the low 9's as well as a Procharger .... if it doesnt snap the crank can get there too on a stock block. I ran a 9.9 in 2017 with a VMP Gen2r on a TR6060 car. We also ran low 9's in a Vortech JT-B in 2018 and my old employee ran 8.28 in a whipple gen 3 back in 2017/18. Just examples of times if thats important to you at all.

I wouldnt purchase a supercharger kit based off the simplicity of installation, if that was the case then everyone would own a procharger kit, but they dont.

Every kit has their pros and cons. ESS = cost, to me thats about it. Speaking from experience, every other kit out there minus roush can and will out-perform that kit, if you dont believe me just look at records and who's posting their times.

If you're looking for a kit just for the street, lets look at maintenance. From what I understand after the first 2k miles you'll need to change the oil in the ESS head unit... do not overfill as you'll A. break the seals and B. have oil literally all over your engine bay. then i think its every other oil change, but I could be wrong with the intervals. Procharger, vortech, paxton are about the same as far as maintenance goes. In order to remove the oil in the head unit on centris most come with a drain line, ESS you'll use a suction tool to pull as much oil out, at least thats how it was with the head unit that was just at our shop, it was new as well.

Whipple, Roush, VMP, Edelbrock, Magnuson, you'll need to inspect the belt, and pullies, once you put oil in the head unit, you can basically forget about it. I've gone 125k miles on a whipple head unit without changing its oil, not one single problem. We've done about 75k on a VMP and never once had to worry about it.

Its also the small things that we like about Whipple, all the way down to the packaging, the connections. Everything is clear, everything is OEM quality, no worm clamps with fuel lines for everything. Literal OEM connections for everything, after installing 100+ kits you begin to appreciate the small things, which is why we recommend Whipple.

I'm not here to bash any particular company, at all. This is real world experience, driving, installation, fitment, etc. We dont have experience with just one brand, we have experience with every brand, not just with selling, but with installation.
Thanks Jason,

Wondering what you, and others, recommend for Jerry and his current configuration? I ask as I too have a 20 GT PP1 and it's a convertible, MT82 and 3.73's and am considering a supercharger. Outside of the charger itself, what else should we consider? Do you, and others, recommend changing the rear end gears and going with bigger wheels to gain needed traction? Any other additions to consider? I'm looking at the bigger picture and thinking Jerry may be as well in gathering his info.

Thanks!! John

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
For daily driving I'd personally recommend Whipple, its an install and forget with little to no maintenance. As with every supercharger, I inspect the belt everyday and I always keep an extra belt on hand. You dont have to remove anything either when replacing the belt, dont have to remove the head unit or unbolt any bracket. The next thing I inspect is the spark plugs every 10k miles. Other than that, its good to go.

As for other mods, I always recommend OPG/ CS as a good insurance policy. If you plan to get stickier tires, half shafts do help and if you're a manual just keep on the look out of potentially needing a clutch. Driveshaft is pretty good for a street car so I wouldn't worry too much about that unless you want to make more power.

Any DOT radial tire you're going to have traction issues, even MT Street SS on the street have their issues and I wouldnt run ET Street R's on a daily, I really wouldnt run any drag radial on a daily but thats just me and thats if its an actual daily ride. Weekend cars ET Street R's or SS's are "ok" as long as you're not in the rain.

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
I highly recommend the 555r2 as a daily tire with any power adder they hook well on the street and do good in the rain. I’ve been dally them for 14 months now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SLIC V6

SLIC V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 Act Ex. MT82 Stick
I have a 19 pp2 and I went with the p1x setup, oversized intercooler and big red race valve. I also went straight cut gears as I like the noise.
ChefWally32,

Thank you for your experience and sharing your knowledge.
Do you have the Crankshaft Support with your P1x?

Thanks again!
- Jerry

OP
OP
SLIC V6

SLIC V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 Act Ex. MT82 Stick
JayMan33,

Thanks for the great writeup and sharing your experience!
I have to apologize to you (as I did with Livernois) for leaving you off of my Vendor Thank You post!
I'm new here and still trying to figure out who sells what products and who supports what.

I know that you said that you wouldn't pick a kit based on ease of installation, and I understand that as you could probably install many of these kits in your sleep. For someone like me though, that would be trying to install in my own garage with only hand tools, it is something to weigh in with. (Again, +'s and -'s)

I appreciate all of your input!
Thanks again!
- Jerry
Sponsored