Ptrug

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP Convertible with FI
Ptrug,

I didn't realize that locking out the IMRC's was required!
I already reviewed the installation instructions on the ESS Tuning site, and they looked very clear and easy to follow.

Is the IMRC lockout a requirement of the kit, or was it requested by your tuner?
Do you know if all of the other FI kits require this?

Thanks!
- Jerry
Not required. Requested by my tuner. My tuner said itā€™s SOOO much easier to tune to take out the IMRC variable.

I spent a lot of time with the ESS and Lund to spec out the build. Was over a month worth of back-and-forth emails between the two. And one of the guys at Lund that I was speaking to also had an ESS installed so he shared all of his knowledge that he gained through his process so anything they asked me to do I did. No regrets.

It was like 15 min more labor to do it because I had the intake manifold off any way for the injector install. And it only cost $15 for the lockouts. I found a guy on eBay who 3-D printed them and only charge me $15.

Good luck!
Sponsored

OP
OP
SLIC V6

SLIC V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 Act Ex. MT82 Stick
Not required. Requested by my tuner. My tuner said itā€™s SOOO much easier to tune to take out the IMRC variable.
Ptrug,

Gotcha! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

- Jerry

19BULLITTwhipple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramzi
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019
I had a whipple gen 5 running at 16 psi on e85, sold it and went for a turbo kit. Hated belt changes, canā€™t really beat the adjustability of turbos.

And you donā€™t have to spend 3k on a 10 rib belt drive/ pullies / alternator relocation and crank support

get a hellion sleeper with some nice turbos and be happy šŸ˜ƒ

19BULLITTwhipple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramzi
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019
Watch this video car is rolling and a simple setup. He also had a centri and went turbo. Iā€™ve seen a lot of people start out with a centri and sell it for a turbo kit

itā€™s pretty muchexactly what youā€™re looking for imo

19BULLITTwhipple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramzi
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019
Check out Alex youtube channel from Lund Racing, he seems to be very happy with ESS kit on his MT82 car.

I 100% agree with you. He is absolutely loving the ess kit.

but I do feel like it should be mentioned that Alex had bought a turbo kit after the vortech he had. And had planned to install it with his manual transmission.

the Bl fab kit just sucked to install so he got rid of it for the ess kit.

but Iā€™ve heard great things about ess

Sponsored

OP
OP
SLIC V6

SLIC V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
I had a whipple gen 5 running at 16 psi on e85, sold it and went for a turbo kit. Hated belt changes, canā€™t really beat the adjustability of turbos.

And you donā€™t have to spend 3k on a 10 rib belt drive/ pullies / alternator relocation and crank support

get a hellion sleeper with some nice turbos and be happy
19BULLITTwhipple,

Thanks for the reply and for sharing your reasons for going to a Turbo kit!
Great points about the belt/pulley changes as well as the 'extras' required to get the most out of Blower setups!

- Jerry

OP
OP
SLIC V6

SLIC V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Watch this video
19BULLITTwhipple,

Thanks for sharing that video!
That stretch of road looks very familiar to me, although I don't know if that should be mentioned! LOL

Scary fast car and I can't help but wonder if there isn't a better time (less traffic) to perform pulls like that?

That car FLIES, that's for sure!!!

- Jerry

Boosted50Silva

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DJ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I Have a 2017 GT MT82 car I went with a Paxton Beefcake special stage 2 And have no regrets makes for a very fun street car makes very good power And I drive it daily.

This is the kit I went with except mine was for 15-17 of course
https://www.beefcakeracing.com/bfspecs550stage2bov-2018/

I don't think you can really go wrong with any forced induction. For some its looks for some it's price. It really just comes down to what you like and where you want the power to come in. The nice thing about Centrifugal superchargers is there pretty easy to install the pretty hassle free and they make tremendous power.

OP
OP
SLIC V6

SLIC V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)

Boosted50Silva

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DJ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Boosted50Silva,

Thanks for responding!
Did you get the blowoff valve on your setup? (Like in the linked kit)
If so, where is it installed?
Did you have to have it welded, or did it come pre-assembled/setup to bolt or clamp on?

Thanks again!
- Jerry
I did get the BV57 blow off valve with mine that is part of the stage 2 kit. It comes with the flange already welded and ready to go. I installed the kit myself in the garage pretty simple install really also did at the same time a Fore Innovations return fuel system so I could run e85.

Sponsored

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
I've installed several different kits, the ESS is by far the easiest to install. But none of them are hard. They all can make plenty of power it comes down to how you want it delivered.

Huge plus of the ESS kit is the weight, it only adds a little over 40lbs to the car. Also it runs off the stock crank like vortech , paxton and the stage 1 procharger kit. All comes to personal preference if you could drive some MT82 cars with different power adders the would be the best.

OP
OP
SLIC V6

SLIC V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Huge plus of the ESS kit is the weight, it only adds a little over 40lbs to the car.
Brad1810r80,

That's a good point that I haven't even taken into account yet!
Thanks for bringing that up!

Lots of great info from everyone on this site, I really appreciate the input!

- Jerry

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
I doubt there truly is a "best" kit. Unless one of these kits makes more power all across the RPM range than everyone else AND comes in at a cheaper price than everyone else AND has a much easier install than everyone else. LOL!!

For me personally, after going over everything in my head on what I want to do with my GT, I think the Roush kit is my best bet. The main points being ease of install, price, and end results. I'm not looking for the highest numbers as this is my commuter car. I simply want to make it a little faster. It looks like the Roush kit is exactly what I need. Considering that the 750HP kit with install and tuning is typically around $10,000 I think that seals the deal. But really all of these kits have their high and low points. They're all soo close that I might even change my mind before I get the Roush kit installed.
Roush would be my last choice out of any of the positive displacement superchargers. Itā€™s installation is no more simple than any of the others, it makes the least amount of power in out of the box form as well as having the least overall potential if you ever decide you want more power (everyone always does) itā€™s the least efficient supercharger of the group, with the least efficient intercooler and also has the least efficient heat exchanger. youā€™d be better off with Whipple, Edelbrock, VMP Odin or any of the other positive displacement choices before Roush was ever a good choice.

chefwally32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
walter
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp2
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 19 pp2 and I went with the p1x setup, oversized intercooler and big red race valve. I also went straight cut gears as I like the noise. This is a road car, not set up for strip racing and the p1x setup with the mt82 work well. I have a ton of fun in this car, obviously I have a ton of other parts as well (steeda is my preference) that all kind of work together. It is 100% personal choice, pocketbook and what you really like!

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Little late to the party on this subject, we just finished doing an install of a 3.8 whipple on a GT350 making 950 to the wheels on their biggest pulley lol, and that was to 7500rpm and not 8500!

With that said, we're not on here as much as we'd like cause we're the ones under the cars, doing the supercharger installs, beta testing for supercharger companies and doing the work.

So, I hear a lot about ESS. We just had a customer with the G2 kit do the install and a fuel system however, we had to completely remove the fuel system and supercharger system and reinstall everything. No fault to ESS just the customer is not extremely tech savvy. On an Automatic, Lund tuning, the customer run 9.9 in the 1/4 which, with a fuel system on E85... which is decent. Pretty much any kit out there will and can run 9's (even the roush), the Whipple 3.0 kit could potentially get you into the low 9's as well as a Procharger .... if it doesnt snap the crank can get there too on a stock block. I ran a 9.9 in 2017 with a VMP Gen2r on a TR6060 car. We also ran low 9's in a Vortech JT-B in 2018 and my old employee ran 8.28 in a whipple gen 3 back in 2017/18. Just examples of times if thats important to you at all.

I wouldnt purchase a supercharger kit based off the simplicity of installation, if that was the case then everyone would own a procharger kit, but they dont.

Every kit has their pros and cons. ESS = cost, to me thats about it. Speaking from experience, every other kit out there minus roush can and will out-perform that kit, if you dont believe me just look at records and who's posting their times.

If you're looking for a kit just for the street, lets look at maintenance. From what I understand after the first 2k miles you'll need to change the oil in the ESS head unit... do not overfill as you'll A. break the seals and B. have oil literally all over your engine bay. then i think its every other oil change, but I could be wrong with the intervals. Procharger, vortech, paxton are about the same as far as maintenance goes. In order to remove the oil in the head unit on centris most come with a drain line, ESS you'll use a suction tool to pull as much oil out, at least thats how it was with the head unit that was just at our shop, it was new as well.

Whipple, Roush, VMP, Edelbrock, Magnuson, you'll need to inspect the belt, and pullies, once you put oil in the head unit, you can basically forget about it. I've gone 125k miles on a whipple head unit without changing its oil, not one single problem. We've done about 75k on a VMP and never once had to worry about it.

Its also the small things that we like about Whipple, all the way down to the packaging, the connections. Everything is clear, everything is OEM quality, no worm clamps with fuel lines for everything. Literal OEM connections for everything, after installing 100+ kits you begin to appreciate the small things, which is why we recommend Whipple.

I'm not here to bash any particular company, at all. This is real world experience, driving, installation, fitment, etc. We dont have experience with just one brand, we have experience with every brand, not just with selling, but with installation.
Sponsored