Sponsored

best exhaust for GT????

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
In case anyone here is interested, I found a really great deal on a new cat-back system yesterday. The Hurst Elite series is clearance priced on Holley's website at just $445! That same system is currently priced over $1400 over on AM, so at nearly a $1000 discount from their inflated retail price I couldn't resist trying it, with tax and s/h my order was still under $500!

It's a complete US made 3" cat-back 304SS system. AM's video compares the quality to Borla and Corsa. I would typically prefer an H-pipe over the X this has, but it seems to have the old school muscle car rumble that I'm looking for. At this price I figure even if it has some rasp or even a little drone I can always toss in a couple vibrant resonators to smooth it out and still be a few hundred ahead of the game, but I'm hoping the videos are accurate and I won't have those problems.

If you want an even cheaper deal, Holley has one on eBay as a "scratch and dent" for only $299!, although I didn't see what exactly is damaged in the description, but might be worth checking out for someone here.
Sponsored

T123456

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Kona Blue
It really only does it when the active exhaust is in track mode. I did an h-pipe first. Sounded terrrable. Replaced that with the Magnaflow Tru-x. While deeper it was actually just as quiet as stock. Now, I'm running the Borla SwitchFire. Sounds great up until about 4500rpm while giving it the beans. It's just the slightest bit too trumpety to my ears. I want to keep the active exhaust feature due to my subdivisionand, well, I like the adjustability. I'm contemplating adding in the Borla S Type axle back with the active feature with the current SwitchFire but I'm concerned it will still have the same trumpety sound up high. I should probably just leave well enough alone...........
Just did this! The summary of my story below is H-Pipe + Borla S-Type = Just what I was looking for!

Had the H Pipe and Stock Active.. Wanted something a little deeper and less rasp in the upper RPM.
Switched to the Magnaflow Competition with the H-Pipe and couldn't stand the drone and it wasn't loud at all, comparatively.
Ordered the Borla Switchfire and it took the edge off the drone, but still too much to handle and too quiet in my opinion.
Got rid of the Magnaflows and put the stock active exhaust back on with the Switchfire. Better than the H-Pipe and Stock Active, but still not the sound I was looking for. Wanted something a little bit deeper still.
Switched to the Borla SwitchFire with the Borla S-Type which was a step down from the Borla SwitchFire and Active Exhaust.. It lost all of the deepness to the sound. Lastly, as a what if...
I put the H-Pipe back on with the Borla S-Type.. FINALLY! It's the exact the sound I was looking for.. deep, no drone, and nice consistent sound. Plus they look nice. Still a very tiny bit of that upper RPM noise but very little compared to the past combinations and a nice mature deep sound.

Last edited:

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris
I have found "sport" mode to offer up the best sound. It's deep low to mid and even through the rev range. Seems slightly more back pressure helps.

kauljp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just did this! The summary of my story below is H-Pipe + Borla S-Type = Just what I was looking for!

Had the H Pipe and Stock Active.. Wanted something a little deeper and less rasp in the upper RPM.
Switched to the Magnaflow Competition with the H-Pipe and couldn't stand the drone and it wasn't loud at all, comparatively.
Ordered the Borla Switchfire and it took the edge off the drone, but still too much to handle and too quiet in my opinion.
Got rid of the Magnaflows and put the stock active exhaust back on with the Switchfire. Better than the H-Pipe and Stock Active, but still not the sound I was looking for. Wanted something a little bit deeper still.
Switched to the Borla SwitchFire with the Borla S-Type which was a step down from the Borla SwitchFire and Active Exhaust.. It lost all of the deepness to the sound. Lastly, as a what if...
I put the H-Pipe back on with the Borla S-Type.. FINALLY! It's the exact the sound I was looking for.. deep, no drone, and nice consistent sound. Plus they look nice. Still a very tiny bit of that upper RPM noise but very little compared to the past combinations and a nice mature deep sound.
seems like you had to go through a lot to get the sound you were looking for. I want to make a change to mine too but I will wait until next year.
I keep hearing mustangs on the road and some of them I like. I wish I could just stop them and ask what set up they are running lol.

T123456

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Kona Blue
seems like you had to go through a lot to get the sound you were looking for. I want to make a change to mine too but I will wait until next year.
I keep hearing mustangs on the road and some of them I like. I wish I could just stop them and ask what set up they are running lol.
Yes went through a lot but finally happy. AWE sounded to be the sound I liked most via videos but their valves are either quiet or loud, no middle, but default to quiet automatically and you manually have to change. They also donā€™t fit the convertible which I have.
I didnā€™t get the Borla S-Type first because I thought it would be too raspy from the videos I heard, but the H-pipe made the difference.

Sponsored

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
Kooks 1 7/8ā€ + 3ā€ stainless works retro H pipe straight muffler. Muscle Car.

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
my favorite Borla s types, have had it on 3 different mustangs and loved all three.
have also had the borla ataks( too high pitched for me)
While corsa isnt my cup of tea they do offer the same low interior noise and zero drone as borlas.
currently have H pipe and the active s types. the burble on idle is amazing!
Where did you get the H-Pipe to use with your active s type exhaust? Mine came with the X-Pipe and I did not see an option for an H-Pipe at the time.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Where did you get the H-Pipe to use with your active s type exhaust? Mine came with the X-Pipe and I did not see an option for an H-Pipe at the time.
I bought the two as separate pieces. (Axle back and then h pipe) Saves a ton of money doing it that way too.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The Coyote will never sound like a muscle car. Folks can repeat that a thousand times

For sheer performance the X is a better choice.

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I bought the two as separate pieces. (Axle back and then h pipe) Saves a ton of money doing it that way too.
Thanks. Didnā€™t realize they made an axle back with the active valves.

Sponsored

ScubaSteve2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just replaced my stock mufflers with the Magnaflow Competition axle-back. I had a H-Pipe already installed.
Have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed. The difference is minimal and I actually think Stock + H-Pipe is a great combination. Also, unfortunately, the MF Competition has now given me a very annoying drone šŸ™

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I just replaced my stock mufflers with the Magnaflow Competition axle-back. I had a H-Pipe already installed.
Have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed. The difference is minimal and I actually think Stock + H-Pipe is a great combination. Also, unfortunately, the MF Competition has now given me a very annoying drone šŸ™

The MF Comp is one that is known for drone along with FM. People usually opt for it for a deeper tone that have a higher drone tolerance.

ScubaSteve2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The MF Comp is one that is known for drone along with FM. People usually opt for it for a deeper tone that have a higher drone tolerance.
I wish I'd known - Bill from CJ's specifically called out no drone ()

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I wish I'd known - Bill from CJ's specifically called out no drone ()
He references the axleback. Was that with the stock resonator still on? Since you have a H pipe already it would be closer to the catback he mentioned where drone was prominent. If you added your res back it would decrease it. But if wanting to keep the H you could drop the MF and add back stock or other non drone AB and sell the MF to recoup losses.

ScubaSteve2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
He references the axleback. Was that with the stock resonator still on? Since you have a H pipe already it would be closer to the catback he mentioned where drone was prominent. If you added your res back it would decrease it. But if wanting to keep the H you could drop the MF and add back stock or other non drone AB and sell the MF to recoup losses.
Ah you're right - I had the h-pipe alright - so basically still my fault you;re saying šŸ¤£
Sponsored