best exhaust for GT????

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris
Post #30 in this thread is a very good representation of the sound quality running the Borla SwitchFire.
Sponsored

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
The Roush axle-back looks identical to the Steeda aggressive axle-back. I've read they sound familiar as well.

The Steeda axle-back combined with an H-pipe, is really, really loud but sounds absolutely gorgeous IMO. Just wish I could turn the volume level down some. I didn't mind the sound of the 5.0 with just the H-Pipe and stock 2020 Ford mufflers but was looking for something a little bit more grumbly and deep.

I'm in search of a quieter option, possibly some type of small resonator that just brings the volume down some and leaves the sound quality as-is.

n2ofusion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6M
Any good options for a center muffler that can be welded in? I have a super aggressive axle back currently uninstalled since I added an X pipe.

Looked at vibrant 1794 or two magnaflow bullets. Not sure if that provides any meaningful volume reduction.

Any opinion on something like this?

1628075607144.jpeg

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Any good options for a center muffler that can be welded in? I have a super aggressive axle back currently uninstalled since I added an X pipe.

Looked at vibrant 1794 or two magnaflow bullets. Not sure if that provides any meaningful volume reduction.

Any opinion on something like this?

1628075607144.jpeg
When I had full Corsa Xtreme catback mated to long tubes the 1794s both killed the trumpety tone and brought the volume down some.

n2ofusion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6M
When I had full Corsa Xtreme catback mated to long tubes the 1794s both killed the trumpety tone and brought the volume down some.
Is the space about filled with 2 Vibrants? (4” wide each)
I also looked at Borla straight through but they’re 5” wide

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Is the space about filled with 2 Vibrants? (4” wide each)
I also looked at Borla straight through but they’re 5” wide
I had mine in the straight section after muffler before double x like below:

Vibrants.jpg

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
On a different note, does anyone know why the cold start is noticeably louder than after it's warmed up a bit? I just have a base GT so no adjustable exhaust, yet I noticed it's a lot louder on a cold start than after. Is this due to a cam timing difference or is it due to a switch between port injection to direct injection? I don't have any info on when the PCM uses port vs. direct and such so kind of curious whether the sound change is more due to method of fuel injection or cam timing.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
On a different note, does anyone know why the cold start is noticeably louder than after it's warmed up a bit? I just have a base GT so no adjustable exhaust, yet I noticed it's a lot louder on a cold start than after. Is this due to a cam timing difference or is it due to a switch between port injection to direct injection? I don't have any info on when the PCM uses port vs. direct and such so kind of curious whether the sound change is more due to method of fuel injection or cam timing.
Throttle blade angle.
Cold = Increased angle for high idle engine rpm.
Warm = Decreased angle for normal idle engine rpm.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
As stated above, on cold starts the PCM uses a strategy to warm up the catalytic converters as quickly as possible. Cold cats don't work well, so the sooner you bring them up to temp the better for emissions. All cars do this, it just so happens that the Coyote is a stupidly loud engine, lol.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Throttle blade angle, not really true. All stone cold starts are pronounced. And I assume it cannot be changed much.
Having never used the quiet start before removing the active exhaust mufflers, unsure.

" Coyote is a stupidly loud engine" not to me ............... I like it :muscle: :thumbsup::champagne:

Last edited:

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Throttle blade angle.
Cold = Increased angle for high idle engine rpm.
Warm = Decreased angle for normal idle engine rpm.
I don't think that's it because I can raise my throttle when hot to the same fast idle rpm when cold and it doesn't sound as loud at all. Anyway, exhaust sound aside, does anyone know under what conditions does the PCM use DI vs. port injection? Just curious as I never had a dual injection system before (all were port injected).

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I don't think that's it because I can raise my throttle when hot to the same fast idle rpm when cold and it doesn't sound as loud at all.
I think we’re all on the same page here.
I shouldn’t have over simplified my post.

Cold = Increased throttle angle, Increased CFM, Richer starting A/F ratio and a cold exhaust system has a higher dB level than when the system is up to operating temp.
I’m sure cold start VVT and ignition timing and 4 valve heads have an impact but now we’re really in the weeds over cold start dB.
It’s mostly about getting the cats to light off ASAP. Important Clean air stuff .

Last edited:

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
My experience with exhausts is as follows. Had an 18 GT with Borla ataks, and now have a 20 GT with Corsa Extreme. Wide open throttle they may be comparable, but the ataks were noticeably louder to me just casually driving around normally at light load/throttle. Borlas are deeper, both scream up top. The extremes are freshly installed so maybe they'll get louder but I was honestly surprised how quiet the corsas were when I drove it for the first time.

Dabitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I wonder if anyone has done the Corsa Xtreme with an h-pipe like Steeda's.... I like the stock (active) with resonator delete, but would like to get more natural pops and gurgles without a tune. My setup gurgles in track mode lazy shifting at 4-5K.
Sponsored