Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I am running stock, other than a Bama 93R tune. I'd like more power and torque, so I've been looking around here and the rest of the interwebs, trying to determine which CAI and tune combo is best. I want to order something today.

I've read Bama tunes (and some others) shut off knock sensors, and I'm thinking that's bad. I also thought I saw some tune that made 50HP more than stock, but can't remember which company it was.

Please share your thoughts/suggestions and experiences with me, so I can buy the right stuff and not muck about anymore. These products have been out for 4 years now, so we should have some real good feed-back by now.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Reactions: AXO

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I am running stock, other than a Bama 93R tune. I'd like more power and torque, so I've been looking around here and the rest of the interwebs, trying to determine which CAI and tune combo is best. I want to order something today.

I've read Bama tunes (and some others) shut off knock sensors, and I'm thinking that's bad. I also thought I saw some tune that made 50HP more than stock, but can't remember which company it was.

Please share your thoughts/suggestions and experiences with me, so I can buy the right stuff and not muck about anymore. These products have been out for 4 years now, so we should have some real good feed-back by now.

Thanks in advance.
You won't get much more out of a CAI, but I would personally go with a closed design. I have the JLT (open), and I am not a fan of how quickly it heats up. I am sure this doesn't hurt the HP too much, as it cools once you start moving. I just think it sort of defeats the purpose of having a CAI. The JLT also tends to have some whistling noise at certain RPM levels, which is annoying to me. Others may love it. I am waiting for Steeda to release their new closed design CAI, and will replace the JLT with that.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I went with the Airaid for the closed box design. The other intakes get way too hot here in the summer when idle at stoplights. Don't notice much of a difference on either while tuned.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
We ran the JLT on our 2015 GT and our 2018 GT before going the Whipple route and have also used JLT for over a decade on all of our project cars with awesome results. They make a great product that looks, fits and performs.

We also offer PMAS, Roush and Airaid with PMAS being the most popular seller out of them.

During testing on our 2018 we didn't see a big difference over the stock intake on the dyne but at the track we consistently trapped over a mph faster each run using the JLT and saw lower ET's.

We're here to help so if you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks, Jared

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
jlt and lund

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
So, I'm doing JLT and Bama 93R. I can't justify spending another several hundred dollars for a different tuner/tune when I already had one, and Bama's Tunes for life.

I already have the 93R JLT tune, and the JLT CAI will be here Friday. Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
So, I'm doing JLT and Bama 93R. I can't justify spending another several hundred dollars for a different tuner/tune when I already had one, and Bama's Tunes for life.

I already have the 93R JLT tune, and the JLT CAI will be here Friday. Thanks for everyone's help!!!
@NoVaGT -

If I can make a kind suggestion. I really think you ought to do yourself a favor and buy a Lund tune. I’ve run multiple Bama tunes on my 2015 GT and I liked them. With the JLT I had nothing but problems with their tune however. I did run a Steeda CAI with Bama’s tune and liked it BUT...

When I switched to the Lund tune it really made a huge difference. It felt like a totally different animal and drove better too. I’ve been one who has defended Bama on here many times, but with all respect I think it’s a crappy tune. Reviewing my old logs, I would get knock and insane spark advance values on the Bama tunes and they could never get it to run right with the JLT intake.

Get a Lund tune and you won’t regret it. Do it now while you are getting the new cold air intake.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
AED tune and GT350 CAI. Best sealed open box by far.

A large MAF, cone filter box will outperform the stock box (with or without Mishimoto tube which I liked quite a lot) at high rpm (over 6000). Below that, they'll have the same or even a little less torque in the midrange. It depends on what you want. And then there's the sound...

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a customer testimonial from one of our review page:

Took my '16 to Pro-dyno today for installation of the Steeda CAI and a tune. Did a baseline pull and made (as expected) 387rwhp. Installed the Steeda CAI and the very next pull was 422rwhp. Ended the day at 432rwhp....a full 45 hp increase over stock and it runs great. When I told Glen at Steeda he said "no one will believe you so you need to carry your dyno sheet with you"..LOL...believe me...45hp gain on my '16.

Not too shabby!

TJ

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored
OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Well, it's in. I did the JLT & Bama JLT 93R tune.

I did the install at 0-dark-thirty in the morning, in my apartment building parking lot, started while it was still dark, my flash-light stopped working (of course), the installation instructions were shit, and I was on a time-crunch to get it done and get to work.

upload_2018-9-22_12-37-20.png

Of course the 2016s have this one weird connector that isn't push-pull removal, and that was a PITA to figure out.

If anyone knows what this was supposed to be used for, let me know. It was in the bag with the MAFS gasket, and one other screw. There's a screw in it, but I couldn't get it out to use it. I ended up using the OEM screws to install the MAFS.
upload_2018-9-22_12-38-29.png

Then, the electrical cable for the MAFS was just barely long enough after disconnecting the grommet that holds it to the body. I'm a bit worried about that;

upload_2018-9-22_12-39-30.png

So, it's been running great for two days now. There is that great induction sound, that makes the car sound alive, really love that. There's definitely more power, but the intake temps are actually higher, not lower. Obviously this CAI isn't "cold", but it allows for better intake breathing, no doubt.

I'm still worried that the supplied duct inside the CAI that is supposed to connect to the OEM intake tube at the grill isn't tucked in properly, they didn't match up well at all. The CAI filter tub seems to sit too high to align those tubes properly.

Dunno, I like the end result, but I'm not impressed with the product's fit into the car. And really, the instructions need to be much more detailed.

Jayme

DoggystyleRacing®
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
PMAS / AED

Taterbootz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP. 2014 Focus Sport SE.
JLT and a FlimFlamSpeed dyno tune. Kevin Adolf @ FlimFlamSpeed is based in Richmond, VA and specIalizes in mustangs. JLT is based in Chesapeake, VA too.

My 15 made 420whp with a JLT and a dyno tune by Kevin. Support your local speed shop.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it's in. I did the JLT & Bama JLT 93R tune.

I did the install at 0-dark-thirty in the morning, in my apartment building parking lot, started while it was still dark, my flash-light stopped working (of course), the installation instructions were shit, and I was on a time-crunch to get it done and get to work.

upload_2018-9-22_12-37-20.png

Of course the 2016s have this one weird connector that isn't push-pull removal, and that was a PITA to figure out.

If anyone knows what this was supposed to be used for, let me know. It was in the bag with the MAFS gasket, and one other screw. There's a screw in it, but I couldn't get it out to use it. I ended up using the OEM screws to install the MAFS.
upload_2018-9-22_12-38-29.png

Then, the electrical cable for the MAFS was just barely long enough after disconnecting the grommet that holds it to the body. I'm a bit worried about that;

upload_2018-9-22_12-39-30.png

So, it's been running great for two days now. There is that great induction sound, that makes the car sound alive, really love that. There's definitely more power, but the intake temps are actually higher, not lower. Obviously this CAI isn't "cold", but it allows for better intake breathing, no doubt.

I'm still worried that the supplied duct inside the CAI that is supposed to connect to the OEM intake tube at the grill isn't tucked in properly, they didn't match up well at all. The CAI filter tub seems to sit too high to align those tubes properly.

Dunno, I like the end result, but I'm not impressed with the product's fit into the car. And really, the instructions need to be much more detailed.
If you want a great seal of the airflow to the box, the VelossaTech Big mouth should be high on the list. With my GT350 CAI the highest IAT I've seen in 90 deg heat and stop-go traffic is 130 F. Normally it's between 6-10 over ambient in mixed driving and 4 over ambient when cruising (gets to that point quickly).

I'd also highly recommend replacing the bulb seal on the box with something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HLJRR44/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_YLSIBbVJBEPR9

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Here is a customer testimonial from one of our review page:

Took my '16 to Pro-dyno today for installation of the Steeda CAI and a tune. Did a baseline pull and made (as expected) 387rwhp. Installed the Steeda CAI and the very next pull was 422rwhp. Ended the day at 432rwhp....a full 45 hp increase over stock and it runs great. When I told Glen at Steeda he said "no one will believe you so you need to carry your dyno sheet with you"..LOL...believe me...45hp gain on my '16.

Not too shabby!

TJ
Waiting for the 2018 version!
Sponsored