Sponsored

Best a/s tires for base 2017 mustang gt wheels

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The Continental DWS06 is widely regarded as the best white weather all season tire out there, and for good reason. The BFG Comp2 A/S is also good in all conditions, as is the Michelin AS3+. The Michelin is slightly better than the other two during the summer months, but gives up some snow traction because of it.

Ultimately it comes down to what you want most from the tire and if it fits into your budget.
Conti DWS-06: Best in snow, good in rain, decent in dry
BFG Comp2 A/S: Good in snow, good in rain, good in dry
Michelin AS3+: Decent in snow, great in rain, good in dry.

I find the Conti sidewalls to be a little soft still, despite them being a big improvement over the outgoing DWS. They also are the quietest of the three. The Michelin has the best steering response but is noisy. BFG is a decent middle ground in regards to noise and response.

You can't go wrong with any of the three mentioned, all with be an improvement over the factory tires. And yes a 255/45-18 is as large as you should go.

- Cory
Sponsored

hson10

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Hans
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
@thecheff22 I know you asked for winter tires, but have you considered cheap decent summer tires as well? I highly recommend Federal SS595s. They're a summer tire that'll last you a really long time and, in my experience, cannot be beat for the money. A lot of people don't like Federal because they're "cheap" or "not up to par" with other top name brands, but in my opinion, they deliver 85-90% of the performance at a fraction of the cost (FYI I'm not sponsored by Federal at all, I just happen to really like their tires especially when on a budget).

> As an aside, I ran SS595s twice on my GTI and will run the RS-RR (their 200tw semi-slick) on my performance pack wheels.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Thanks all. I decided to go with the Michelin AS3+ on all 4 tires. You were all very helpful, much appreciated.
Hey, you aren't that far away from me. I actually just got new tires and went with the DWS 06. I've owned the AS3+ tires before and they are great! I just wanted to try out something new. And with NC weather, you never know what you are going to get.

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base Oxford White
? Would it be the same for the Black accent rims. I have a base with the 19in black accent rims. 255/45R19 ?

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Nokian (formerly Nokia) has the WR G4 with a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty...it's an asymmetrical tread pattern. V speed rating (149 MPH).

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Nokian (formerly Nokia) has the WR G4 with a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty...it's an asymmetrical tread pattern. V speed rating (149 MPH).
While I do like to try out new tires, they don't make any tire sizes in 20 inches and the 18s and 19s won't fit 90-95% of the cars on this forum. They need to make bigger tire sizes!

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
While I do like to try out new tires, they don't make any tire sizes in 20 inches and the 18s and 19s won't fit 90-95% of the cars on this forum. They need to make bigger tire sizes!
It's available in 255/40R-19, a common S550 Mustang size...it'll work on an Ecoboost PP or a GT with a square 19" fitment. Haven't looked to see if they're available in the wider rear size for the GT PP.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

PipelineEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.YaTi.co
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I am now on my third set of Continental DWS-06 tires in two years and less than 5k miles. I originally bought them due to reading all the forms and good reviews. However, these tires have been nothing but an absolute migraine for me on a car I maybe drive 4-5x a month. Compounding this migraine was because the issue appeared around the same time I began developing a vibration issue with my drive shaft (LONG story but we [Discount Tire/Firestone/Ford] eventually discovered I have two independent vibration issues). Every set of these DWS-06 tires we have put on this car seem to develop flat spots if (1) it sits more than a few days or (2) it gets really cold out. Sometimes when the tires warm up they partially come out but other times they won't and the tire will never again road force balancing below 30. Due to the events that happened leading up to this our finding and data has been well documented and believe we have identified that the issue may lie with the chemistry of the tire and will be getting in touch with Continental to communicate our results. That said, where do I look for a tire that wont do this? Having spent a lot of time in the waiting room/counters of these place I have been told this comes a surprise to them because this is something they more commonly see with other tire manufactures. Oddly enough I was told specifically they have been seeing this issue a lot with the new Michelin Pilot Sport tires.... So now I don't know where to turn because with every other vehicle I have ever owned Michelin had been the only brand that never let me down.
Sponsored