Sponsored

Being denied warranty work because of an H-pipe.

ChemEng44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Tremor, 2021 Mach 1 HP, 2021 F-Pace SVR
Update: Service manager called today to let me know that even though they couldn’t get the repair warrantied, they basically did it for cost, so $150 later the Mach 1 is home. They actually reinforced the new harness with heat tape and put some type of plastic putty on the the body panel were the harness comes in contact. Looks like a very clean and professional install, shouldn’t be an issue going forward. I’m happy with the result and feel that my service manger stepped up and took care of me. Thank you Johnny!

For all who plan to do an H/X pipe, make sure there is clearance on the passenger side harness and it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to wrap the harness in some type of fiberglass heat tape and put some type of barrier on the pinch weld/body panel.
Alls well that ends well, happy the resolution met your expectations and thanks for starting this thread and sharing your experience with the community!🍻
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
So exactly what is Ford's position from a warranty standpoint as regards replacing the factory resonator with an X or H pipe in and of itself ? In this instance, I realize we are dealing with a car that has the AE. It would be interesting to know Fords take overall.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So exactly what is Ford's position from a warranty standpoint as regards replacing the factory resonator with an X or H pipe in and of itself ? In this instance, I realize we are dealing with a car that has the AE. It would be interesting to know Fords take overall.
Their position has been the same for many, many years and clearly spelled out in their written document.

If you replace a part with a non factory part and that part is responsible for a failure on the car a warranty claim can be denied. It's just that simple. Now the reality is far more complicated. If you replace the resonator with an X/H pipe and your brakes fail. Well that is kind of obvious. Your warranty will cover the brake failure regarding of your exhaust system. But let's say you have a defective muffler. Ford could come back and claim that the X/H pipe in some way caused the failure. Not say it would happen, only that it could.

This is why the mod question has been asked and answers a zillion times. If you have any concern about your factory warranty do not change anything mechanical unless it is with a factory Ford part.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
There is nothing illegal about it.
I do not believe anyone questioned the legality as regards the EPA. It is the fact that the AE wiring was compromised by the install of the H pipe. Had the issue occured with the OE system in place, the onus would be on Ford. Or, had the H pipe been installed by an authorized Ford dealer, they would own the issue. In truth, the indi that did the install was remiss in not insuring that there were no clearance issues with the wiring harness once the install was done. I watched the installer when my resonator delete pipe was installed literally run his hand along the length of the pipe and check clearances to insure nothing would rub once the car was off the lift. IMHO, the op needs to seek reimbursement from the shop that installed the H pipe. I know I sure as hell would.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
We are dangerously close to this turning into a climate change discussion :cwl:
well I was denied warranty work because the rod end had been changed to Steeda. But the failure was at the chassis end.

Felt like I needed to bring it back on-topic. :)

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Their position has been the same for many, many years and clearly spelled out in their written document.

If you replace a part with a non factory part and that part is responsible for a failure on the car a warranty claim can be denied. It's just that simple. Now the reality is far more complicated. If you replace the resonator with an X/H pipe and your brakes fail. Well that is kind of obvious. Your warranty will cover the brake failure regarding of your exhaust system. But let's say you have a defective muffler. Ford could come back and claim that the X/H pipe in some way caused the failure. Not say it would happen, only that it could.

This is why the mod question has been asked and answers a zillion times. If you have any concern about your factory warranty do not change anything mechanical unless it is with a factory Ford part.
Thank you. You just confirmed what I was thinking and, what I posted. If the issue occurs on an unaltered AE, it belongs to Ford under the warranty.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
How my wife says when I say something really obvious to her - I am familiar. I've changed both harnesses and fuse three times. But anytime harness shorts it blows the fuse.

Also - car has 22k miles. Real problem started after installing H-pipe (honestly - didn't pay too much attention installing it, would probably cut everything little shorter).
Installing new harnesses, I've rerouted them using zip ties to lower probability of it happening again.

Car was built late 2017.
Since a fuse, over current protection will blow from the closest short which causes an increase of current above it's rating.
Question: Have you physically ohm the wire(s) from the fuse all the way back to the disconnected plug?

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
is the wiring different compared to the normal GT?
I don't recall having such issue.

I had to make change to the bracket holding the wire by the mufflers when I installed the Borla ATAK but no changes were needed for my X or h-pipe on my 18
the active exhaust has wiring at the muffler tip area to open and close the valve. The "normal GT" or "normal ecoboost" doesn't need the wiring since there is no valve to open and close to change the sound.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Since a fuse, over current protection will blow from the closest short which causes an increase of current above it's rating.
Question: Have you physically ohm the wire(s) from the fuse all the way back to the disconnected plug?
Yes.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Anyone want to post a photo of the harness/wire location that is the issue, So everyone can check it, or add clamps to keep the wires in place.
Sponsored