Sponsored

Being denied warranty work because of an H-pipe.

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
So, I keep seeing this about calling ford to “get answers” on coverage or whatever. Are you saying that the tech doesn’t have the authority to just repair the car? I mean, I understand that certain and major components may require a little more due diligence, because of the cost, or maybe quality tracing issues, and require approval from the manufacturer. I have to do this as well at BMW. But outside of a very short list of components, I have free reign to just fix the car.
In my experience dealing with BMW on warranty issues, at least at our local BMW, it seems the Tech/Service Manager has a lot of pull. Of all the companies I have dealt with over the years on warranty/extended warranty issues BMW of Asheville has just stood head and shoulders above the rest on getting the issues fixed above and beyond what the warranty company wanted to cover.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Robinc464

Robinc464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1(ordered) 2012 Mini 2017 Lexus RX350
I’m all for taking ownership in decisions I make with regards to modding. This isn’t my first time I’ve done mods that have caused things to go haywire. The only reason I made a call to the service manager is because I had come across cases where non modded cars had the exact same issue. The service manager is someone I’ve known for years as he was once my service advisor when I owned my Boss 302. All I did was ask if there is anything he could do to help me out with this, he said sure no problem, if he comes backs and says sorry, then I’ll pay up and move on. I have no plans to escalate this situation or call out the dealership because they’ve always been fair with me. I think I just had sticker shock of a $508 bill for a $38 part that is a fairly easy install.

The shop that did the H-pipe install is a very reputable muffler shop in DFW, they are highly regarded in the aftermarket car scene. I was very clear with them to make sure that the tips didn’t stick out any further than stock, they measured everything and took their time with the install. Truth is I wasn’t aware of this issue beforehand or I would’ve made sure to check for clearance for the harness. Lessons learned.

I also wanted to post this because I know a lot of Mach 1 owners will be doing the resonator delete. So for those of you who haven’t and plan to, check for clearance and I would go ahead and reinforce that harness with some Tesa tape and fiberglass heat tape.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I say take it to a different dealer. Installing an H-Pipe does not mess with the harness or motors for the active exhaust. The dealer that I take my car to knows I have a full exhaust and they said that they would warranty if the motors stop working.

ChemEng44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Tremor, 2021 Mach 1 HP, 2021 F-Pace SVR
Stand on WHAT ground......?.... here is why they nixed it. . With the H pipe hung, one must juggle the exhaust pipe to get it fitted to the H pipe.

User or installer, mashed the plug against the body crushing the pins, during the process.

YUP a known issue, but not a manufacturing DEFECT, there is a difference. :rain:

Sooooooooo, it was not the H pipe mod, it was the owner/installer that IS the problem. :rain:

Get off the friggen soap box before you fall off .

Where did you read the plug was smashed?
My feet are planted squarely on the ground, as a customer of MANY new vehicles over the years from MANY different manufacturers the dealers who understand the value of taking care of customers over low sunk cost situations like this, assuming worst case scenario is they just take care of expenses due to Ford truly denying the claim, are the ones that get my business.
If I were in their shoes and it's a sub $100 part and I can potentially sell a maintenence plan or some other service for years to come from looking like the hero and doing THE RIGHT THING BY THE CUSTOMER, I'm sure as shit going to do it.

DEDXXXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Black 6MT M3629
I had this issue on my 2013 F150.

3D17C9A2-0449-4A94-9EE2-3B5ED689DAF9.jpeg

The TSB is exactly what happened to mine. I had mine fixed on my dime about 2 months before they “expanded the recall” to include 2013. Was about $1,500. Went back to dealer with this new info for some kind of refund. Nope. Sorry. You lose.
I now get emails and reminders on FordPass that there is a Recall/TSB that needs attention. For this issue. I go to dealer and they say they can’t clear the recall in the records for works that was already done. I need to make a new appointment to get that taken care of. Wtfing F.

B8734ECE-75CF-4111-94D0-E3698AF8B9C3.png

That dealer is 1 mile from my house. After inquiring there about a M1, and being bombarded with Mach E info by email and in person, I went elsewhere for the M1. my experience there wasn’t much better, but at least no ADM.
Moral? None. I don’t expect any satisfaction from any dealership.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Robinc464

Robinc464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1(ordered) 2012 Mini 2017 Lexus RX350
Update: Service manager called today to let me know that even though they couldn’t get the repair warrantied, they basically did it for cost, so $150 later the Mach 1 is home. They actually reinforced the new harness with heat tape and put some type of plastic putty on the the body panel were the harness comes in contact. Looks like a very clean and professional install, shouldn’t be an issue going forward. I’m happy with the result and feel that my service manger stepped up and took care of me. Thank you Johnny!

For all who plan to do an H/X pipe, make sure there is clearance on the passenger side harness and it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to wrap the harness in some type of fiberglass heat tape and put some type of barrier on the pinch weld/body panel.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
In my case, both harnesses had bare wire right by the plug (blew fuse, replaced passenger harness, blew fuse again, as emergency measure slapped some tape on a driver one, replaced fuse again that I promptly blew), then driver harness.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
i'm glad you are happy but I'd be livid.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Update: Service manager called today to let me know that even though they couldn’t get the repair warrantied, they basically did it for cost, so $150 later the Mach 1 is home. They actually reinforced the new harness with heat tape and put some type of plastic putty on the the body panel were the harness comes in contact. Looks like a very clean and professional install, shouldn’t be an issue going forward. I’m happy with the result and feel that my service manger stepped up and took care of me. Thank you Johnny!

For all who plan to do an H/X pipe, make sure there is clearance on the passenger side harness and it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to wrap the harness in some type of fiberglass heat tape and put some type of barrier on the pinch weld/body panel.
Alrighty them, all’s good. So let’s chalk this up under the heading of “shit happens”. Your dealer did you a solid and your happy with the outcome.

The main takeaway from this is, if you’re going to do mechanical mods, do your homework. Know your installer and your dealer. Know any car issues before you mod and any possible effects your mods could have on warranty claims.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Since it's a pinch weld how about get a length of rubber hose and split it and cover the raw edge?

Sponsored

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
It's better to just sue and let the judge decide. Who needs the stress haha.
What would really be good is if the dealer- the one getting sued gets ahold of the EPA and tells the them about the OP and the shop modifying his exhaust, you know altering emissions.
Then we can really watch the fireworks!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
What would really be good is if the dealer- the one getting sued gets ahold of the EPA and tells the them about the OP and the shop modifying his exhaust, you know altering emissions.
A cat back does not alter emissions.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Today I learned how lucky I got with this mod. Didn't realize we could have damaged the AE so easily, luckily the guy I had do the work is a pro and apparently was careful, 1 year on no issues with my AE after the H-pipe install.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
is the wiring different compared to the normal GT?
I don't recall having such issue.

I had to make change to the bracket holding the wire by the mufflers when I installed the Borla ATAK but no changes were needed for my X or h-pipe on my 18

Last edited: