Sponsored

Being denied warranty work because of an H-pipe.

Robinc464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1(ordered) 2012 Mini 2017 Lexus RX350
I installed a Corsa double H-pipe on 10/13 and on 10/17 I got a message saying exhaust selection not available. Did a little searching around and come to find out that the wire harness for the passenger side exhaust actuator sits right below a pinch weld and the rubbing causes the wire to fray and therefore disable active exhaust.

Took the car to the dealership this morning and my service advisor was familiar with the issue, turns out it’s somewhat common with active exhaust cars, poorly engineered design. Get a call back from my advisor saying that the shop foreman is denying warranty because I have a modified exhaust. Even though this is an issue with cars that don’t have modified exhausts and the H-pipe has only been on the car for one week and around 200 miles. $508 bill and this is a $38 part.

I understand that yes I did modify the car, but a mid pipe being the cause for warranty work denial is ridiculous imho. I left a message with the service manager and hopefully we can work to get this resolved. It just makes me leery of what other repairs they will deny me because of a mid pipe.
Sponsored

ChemEng44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Tremor, 2021 Mach 1 HP, 2021 F-Pace SVR
I installed a Corsa double H-pipe on 10/13 and on 10/17 I got a message saying exhaust selection not available. Did a little searching around and come to find out that the wire harness for the passenger side exhaust actuator sits right below a pinch weld and the rubbing causes the wire to fray and therefore disable active exhaust.

Took the car to the dealership this morning and my service advisor was familiar with the issue, turns out it’s somewhat common with active exhaust cars, poorly engineered design. Get a call back from my advisor saying that the shop foreman is denying warranty because I have a modified exhaust. Even though this is an issue with cars that don’t have modified exhausts and the H-pipe has only been on the car for one week and around 200 miles. $508 bill and this is a $38 part.

I understand that yes I did modify the car, but a mid pipe being the cause for warranty work denial is ridiculous imho. I left a message with the service manager and hopefully we can work to get this resolved. It just makes me leery of what other repairs they will deny me because of a mid pipe.
Stand your ground, that's a BS response for someone that just spent a good chunk of money on a brand new car. It's a known issue and has nothing to do with the exhaust modification. Sorry you have to go through this, keep us posted on progress.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
It’s a bullshit excuse being that it’s a known warranty issue with active exhaust. But at the same time I see where Ford has an out. Hard to prove that during the install the rear section of the exhaust was supported adequately to put stress on those wires. Also there wasn’t an issue until after the mid pipe was added. Hopefully they do the right thing and just take care of you. That’s a shitty thing to deny someone a warranty over. If it makes you feel better I really have a hard time seeing anything else they could deny based on that mod.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Good reminder to the rest of us to check ours often and take pictures at the first sign of a problem. I'll be taking pictures tomorrow as reference for the future.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Why would they not deny it ? Often H/X-pipe causes exhaust to sit father out. Given how quickly you got the message after installation, it's fairly safe bet that it actually did cause the harness to rub through against the body.

Hint - harness is ~$40 from Levittown. Fuse (which is what really is causing this message) is few cents. Fix it yourself, it's easy.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So they don't like having their employees making money ? Tell him to go eff himself, and take it somewhere else.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Organize a protest!#$$^

We will all fly into DFW to support you!!!

(prepaid airfare only).

Thanks

CVCashmere

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Why would they not deny it ? Often H/X-pipe causes exhaust to sit father out. Given how quickly you got the message after installation, it's fairly safe bet that it actually did cause the harness to rub through against the body.

Hint - harness is ~$40 from Levittown. Fuse (which is what really is causing this message) is few cents. Fix it yourself, it's easy.
If the wires are damaged changing the fuse isn’t going to fiz

Tell them that Magneson-Moss says they can't deny the claim unless they can prove the modification caused the failure. Modification is not automatic grounds for denying warranty claims.
in practice the magnuson moss act isn’t worth much. All the manufacturer has to do is deny the warranty and you are then in a position of having to prove other wise. There are very few repairs that are more expensive than the cost of the legal battle. It’s unfortunate but that’s the way it is

So they don't like having their employees making money ? Tell him to go eff himself, and take it somewhere else.
That’s a good option. Probably a few mod friendly dealers out there that will be more sympathetic in a case like this. After all they are getting paid, make the customer happy within reason.

OP
OP
Robinc464

Robinc464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1(ordered) 2012 Mini 2017 Lexus RX350

My only argument to what your saying is that it there have been cases with active exhaust cars that do not have H/X pipes. My service advisor mentioned it when he called to let me know they were denying warranty.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
If the wires are damaged changing the fuse isn’t going to fiz
How my wife says when I say something really obvious to her - I am familiar. I've changed both harnesses and fuse three times. But anytime harness shorts it blows the fuse.

Also - car has 22k miles. Real problem started after installing H-pipe (honestly - didn't pay too much attention installing it, would probably cut everything little shorter).
Installing new harnesses, I've rerouted them using zip ties to lower probability of it happening again.

Car was built late 2017.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
I have to say I agree with the dealer on this. Regardless of them seeing similar issues with non-modified exhausts, it’s very likely (given the timeframe provided) that the install of the H-pipe did in fact cause this issue to occur. It’s been documented several times that x or h pipe installs have resulted in this same error message and damage to the AE wires. Sorry to hear of your troubles though, luckily it’s an easy fix.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Tell them that Magneson-Moss says they can't deny the claim unless they can prove the modification caused the failure. Modification is not automatic grounds for denying warranty claims.
You ready to file a lawsuit over $40 harness ? Because that's when you need to go with Magnusson-Moss if warranty claim is denied. People keep repeating it like it's magic spell that immediately bring all service advisors into compliance.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
in practice the magnuson moss act isn’t worth much. All the manufacturer has to do is deny the warranty and you are then in a position of having to prove other wise. There are very few repairs that are more expensive than the cost of the legal battle. It’s unfortunate but that’s the way it is
Everyone always holds it up like some magic shield. Reality is as you said. The "proof" is simply saying, "we looked at it and your modification caused it." Nothing more is required of Ford as far as proof at that point. Ford doesn't have to start a lawsuit to prove it. The consumer has to start the lawsuit, get his proofs in (at his expense) and THEN Ford has the burden of going forward if the consumer doesn't lose on a motion.

That said, I don't understand why the dealer denied it, unless they submitted it to Ford and got a reply. For the dealer, warranty work is easy money for them and they have no vested interest in sending that work away.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s been documented several times that x or h pipe installs have resulted in this same error message and damage to the AE wires
exactly how are folks installing the X/H pipe and failing to cut things to correct length such that the length pre-/post-mod is not the same?

they make cable armor of various sorts. Seems like a gimme.
https://www.mcmaster.com/tubing-wrap/
https://www.mouser.com/c/wire-cable/wire-cable-management/spiral-wraps-sleeves-tubing-conduit/
https://www.amazon.com/DGZZI-Spiral-Cable-Binding-Cinema/dp/B07YYW28MN?th=1
Sponsored

Last edited: