Sponsored

Beginning to think I don't know how to drive a mustang...

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I had to go back and re-read . . .

With any luck, age brings with it the opportunity to trade inexperience for experience and "youthful over-exuberance" for a semblance of wisdom. I dare suggest that a majority of the incidents following car shows and similar meets belong to the younger participants (or onlookers). Teens and 20-somethings rather than AARP-eligibles.

People who have become accustomed to being independently mobile are naturally going to be resistant to giving it up, at least partly out of not wanting to become an encumbrance on family and friends. I'm convinced that that was my own father's outlook, especially after Mom died and he was alone in the house.

Norm
Oh I agree it is hard to face that you are getting old and there are things you should no longer do. I think its human nature. But when it comes to cars people need to face it before they kill someone. When I get to the age I shouldn't be driving I hope my family says something to me. By then ill be more then happy to let people drive me around.
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Oh I agree it is hard to face that you are getting old and there are things you should no longer do. I think its human nature. But when it comes to cars people need to face it before they kill someone. When I get to the age I shouldn't be driving I hope my family says something to me. By then ill be more then happy to let people drive me around.
But what age is that? Different for each individual. I too will let people drive me around as long as I get to drive a bumper car or go kart every so often.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
There's more to 'predictability' than coping with rough patches in the pavement.

Trust me, unexpected changes in rear camber and/or rear toe will get your attention in an IRS car if they amount to much. A classic situation would involve lift-throttle oversteer in a turn where you'd have those suspension geometric effects working against you as well as the forward load transfer lightening the rear tire load. It's perhaps easier to understand this once you've been there and realized what had been going on back there.

Norm
I do trust you. You've more experience than I and all the cars I've driven always had IRS. But the roads in the U.S. aren't mint, so those bumps and changes in road angle (not all roads are flat) doesn't help those novice drivers.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
But what age is that? Different for each individual. I too will let people drive me around as long as I get to drive a bumper car or go kart every so often.
yes this is true its different for different ages . but there comes a time we should all hang it up. I mena I know a guy maybe in his 70s? you talk to him he seems fine but hes got memory issues, if he doesnt see you in a few weeks he almost forgets who you are. Dementia issues. When he drives he almost backs into everything. People out side the store where i worked(where I knew him from) would alwasy be yelling at him to watch out. But when you ask him if he should be driving he gets mad and tells people he knows how to drive. some people just cant admit it.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
yes this is true its different for different ages . but there comes a time we should all hang it up. I mena I know a guy maybe in his 70s? you talk to him he seems fine but hes got memory issues, if he doesnt see you in a few weeks he almost forgets who you are. Dementia issues. When he drives he almost backs into everything. People out side the store where i worked(where I knew him from) would alwasy be yelling at him to watch out. But when you ask him if he should be driving he gets mad and tells people he knows how to drive. some people just cant admit it.
Yep, perfect candidate for a shuttle or something. I guess the first step would be getting access to those people. I worked with a guy who had a shuttle to work from his assisted living place. Not sure a lot of people have that same access to a shuttle or driver of some sort. I don't and wont ever have kids so when I'm older and losing more of my mind, what will I do if I have to get someplace? 20+ years from now I hope it'll be figured out lol.

Sponsored

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
My very first car was a 89 LX with a four banger. I know right? :cwl:
I lost control of that thing all over the dam place. Rain and snow and that thing was the drift missile.
My 17 GT you really gotta try to get squirrelly with the TC on.. but pop off that TC and it’s a different story.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I do trust you. You've more experience than I and all the cars I've driven always had IRS. But the roads in the U.S. aren't mint, so those bumps and changes in road angle (not all roads are flat) doesn't help those novice drivers.
I really don't know what to tell you except that when the people in my age group were novice drivers, almost every car in the USA had a live rear axle so it was just another detail-level part of learning how to drive. About the only cars that weren't stick-axle were Corvairs and swing-axle VWs (which had reputations for having somewhat bigger handling issues).

At least those of us living where there was much snow learned pretty quickly how even a low-powered RWD car had limits as to how much throttle you could actually use. Maybe the key is in that - we knew we had to use the throttle more gently, where today I don't think people think the same way any more and can get away with more skinny pedal foolishness as long as TC and stability control have their back. Especially if they're coming from FWD.

Live axle certainly does feel different from IRS - and going from stick-axle to IRS can be just as noticeable as going the other way. In either case, there's a certain amount of adapting on your part involved.

Norm

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I really don't know what to tell you except that when the people in my age group were novice drivers, almost every car in the USA had a live rear axle so it was just another detail-level part of learning how to drive. About the only cars that weren't stick-axle were Corvairs and swing-axle VWs (which had reputations for having somewhat bigger handling issues).

At least those of us living where there was much snow learned pretty quickly how even a low-powered RWD car had limits as to how much throttle you could actually use. Maybe the key is in that - we knew we had to use the throttle more gently, where today I don't think people think the same way any more and can get away with more skinny pedal foolishness as long as TC and stability control have their back. Especially if they're coming from FWD.

Live axle certainly does feel different from IRS - and going from stick-axle to IRS can be just as noticeable as going the other way. In either case, there's a certain amount of adapting on your part involved.

Norm
I wonder what the average age of those crowd killing Mustang Drivers were.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The average age of Mustang owners is 54 (excluding 350 owners, who are much younger). Even with 350 owners included, the average age is still over 50.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The average age of Mustang owners is 54 (excluding 350 owners, who are much younger). Even with 350 owners included, the average age is still over 50.
That much doesn't surprise me much. But I rather doubt that the age distribution of Mustang drivers who crash leaving C&C events and such mirrors the age distribution of Mustang owners generally.

Norm

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
We have had two senior citizens punch holes in our building. Both said they thought they had their foot on the brake.
One lady hit the store across the street and kept the accelerator pedal to the floor. A passing citizen turned the car off for her.
She did a great smoke show though.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
We have had two senior citizens punch holes in our building. Both said they thought they had their foot on the brake.
One lady hit the store across the street and kept the accelerator pedal to the floor. A passing citizen turned the car off for her.
She did a great smoke show though.
This is what scares me. I can't even comprehend being in that situation. Now panicking and hitting the wrong pedal I can get. It's not realizing it's the wrong pedal well after you've already hit something that just baffles me. What scares me is that, someday, I could be in the same mental state.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
The problem with that statistic is that it doesn't account for the kid that crashed daddy's car. More owners may be over 50, but that doesn't mean their kids aren't going for joyrides and trying to show off.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
That much doesn't surprise me much. But I rather doubt that the age distribution of Mustang drivers who crash leaving C&C events and such mirrors the age distribution of Mustang owners generally.
The problem with that statistic is that it doesn't account for the kid that crashed daddy's car. More owners may be over 50, but that doesn't mean their kids aren't going for joyrides and trying to show off.
The age statistic probably shows it IS mostly kids crashing daddy's car that are the problem.
Sponsored