Sponsored

Beginning to think I don't know how to drive a mustang...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I believe a good driver is somebody who knows the car's and their own limitations and drives accordingly, regardless of age. I drove in a number of forms of competition when I was young that I could not do any more. Competition motorcycle training and many years of cycle riding really hones your driving instincts. But, I'm pushing 77 and my response time is nothing like it used to be. If I want an exciting ride, it will be as a passenger.
I bet you'd still give a good account of yourself at HPDE.

Norm
Sponsored

Cookieman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dario
Vehicle(s)
GT20' maybe
Curious thing in this movie with convertible

Up to 4th gear he's losing traction tho, so it means that you should be able to do it

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
That's not always the case. Over bumpy pavement, yes. But there are times when having the two rear wheels rigidly tied together can make the car more predictable because the two wheels are at least on the same page. Either way, stick-axle or IRS, it does have to be a well thought-out arrangement.

Norm
Thank you Norm. I completely forgot that every road in the U.S. are well maintained with zero bumps, making live beams advantageous in all those wrecks./s

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I have a strong suspicion that elderly people who accidentally mix up the pedals and drive through a store front were never any good at driving to begin with. They may have been OK-ish back then (but only just), and then got gradually worse as time went by. I doubt that someone who's a reasonably good driver in his thirties will be a disaster in his seventies.
I have never understood this phenomenon. Are these people mixing up the gas and the brake pedals also sticking a fork in their nose when they are eating? Oops wrong hole.

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I have never understood this phenomenon. Are these people mixing up the gas and the brake pedals also sticking a fork in their nose when they are eating? Oops wrong hole.
Happened to my buddy once. He slammed the brake thinking he was driving a manual for a second. Luckily, nothing bad happened, but shit happens.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Happened to my buddy once. He slammed the brake thinking he was driving a manual for a second. Luckily, nothing bad happened, but shit happens.
Stop hanging out with those geezers!

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't get it either. But here's something even more puzzling. This is how the exit ramps of German and Austrian motorways look when seen from the wrong end:

730E73B9-9BF3-4F48-B8F1-B0D2255CD111.jpeg

You'd think that no living being in the whole universe would be stupid enough not to comprehend the meaning of those signs. And yet there are frequent reports in the news of people who drive on motorways the wrong way. How is this possible? :crazy:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't get it either. But here's something even more puzzling. This is how the exit ramps of German and Austrian motorways look when seen from the wrong end:

730E73B9-9BF3-4F48-B8F1-B0D2255CD111.jpeg

You'd think that no living being in the whole universe would be stupid enough not to comprehend the meaning of those signs. And yet there are frequent reports in the news of people who drive on motorways the wrong way. How is this possible? :crazy:
Probably tourists from the UK who are lost and forgot they drive on the wrong side of the road? Haha.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, we mange to drive down the wrong side over here too ... :cwl:

WD :like:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
:clap:
Slamming the gas pedal is when you get into real shit.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thank you Norm. I completely forgot that every road in the U.S. are well maintained with zero bumps, making live beams advantageous in all those wrecks./s
There's more to 'predictability' than coping with rough patches in the pavement.

Trust me, unexpected changes in rear camber and/or rear toe will get your attention in an IRS car if they amount to much. A classic situation would involve lift-throttle oversteer in a turn where you'd have those suspension geometric effects working against you as well as the forward load transfer lightening the rear tire load. It's perhaps easier to understand this once you've been there and realized what had been going on back there.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Possible medical issues aside, I would guess that those people might get flustered easily, or may have poor lower body mobility. It's even possible they accidentally selected the wrong direction and couldn't cope with the unexpected situation. Chances are, they never looked at driving as anything other than what you had to do to get themselves from point A to point B.

I can understand the occasional 'brake instead of clutch' happening when you haven't driven a car with automatic transmission for an extended length of time and you decide to manually command an AT upshift during "spirited acceleration". Been there (exactly once).

Norm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I see my comment about older people mixing up pedals has quiet the following LOL my point simple was there comes a time when someone should not be behind a wheel any more. But I see lots of people out driving that shouldn't cause no one ever wants to admit they shouldn't be doing something.

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I see my comment about older people mixing up pedals has quiet the following LOL my point simple was there comes a time when someone should not be behind a wheel any more. But I see lots of people put driving that shouldn't cause no one ever wants to admit they shouldn't be doing something.
It's not my fault! The car was in park and jumped into gear and accelerated all by itself while I was texting! :curse:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I see my comment about older people mixing up pedals has quiet the following LOL my point simple was there comes a time when someone should not be behind a wheel any more. But I see lots of people out driving that shouldn't cause no one ever wants to admit they shouldn't be doing something.
I had to go back and re-read . . .

Yes I agree. as we age we get less "good at driving" the problem is most people cant face the fact they are getting old and insist they are still sharp as a tack when in fact they are not. You dont hear much about (sober) teens and 20 somethings accidentally mixing up the pedals and driving through a bank or cafe store front. there comes an age when people need to hang it up and admit they dont need to be behind a wheel any more. hell once my day comes ill be so happy to have someone drive me around :)
With any luck, age brings with it the opportunity to trade inexperience for experience and "youthful over-exuberance" for a semblance of wisdom. I dare suggest that a majority of the incidents following car shows and similar meets belong to the younger participants (or onlookers). Teens and 20-somethings rather than AARP-eligibles.

People who have become accustomed to being independently mobile are naturally going to be resistant to giving it up, at least partly out of not wanting to become an encumbrance on family and friends. I'm convinced that that was my own father's outlook, especially after Mom died and he was alone in the house.

Norm
Sponsored