Sponsored

Because if you buy a sports car with an automatic, you deserve to sufferJasonCammisa , 2021

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
And when people say "The automatic does this..." when it really doesn't, it gives the impression that people have already decided that they don't want it, and are just coming up with reasons to make it sound reasonable. It also shows that they really have no idea how the A10 works, so it is difficult to take their criticisms seriously.
I notice lots of little things when I drive. Always have, always will.

Many of those have been 'good things', which I've worked into the choices and decisions I've made since.

A few have been 'not so good things', and that's the bin where ATs have always fallen, including some recent ones. Intellectually I do understand the AT's benefits, but they're not particularly useful in any of my driving and are overshadowed by what are like warts on an otherwise pretty face. Things you can probably get past (given enough time) but can't un-see.

Norm
Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I notice lots of little things when I drive. Always have, always will.

Many of those have been 'good things', which I've worked into the choices and decisions I've made since.

A few have been 'not so good things', and that's the bin where ATs have always fallen, including some recent ones. Intellectually I do understand the AT's benefits, but they're not particularly useful in any of my driving and are overshadowed by what are like warts on an otherwise pretty face. Things you can probably get past (given enough time) but can't un-see.

Norm
Again, I'm not trying to sell you on getting an AT, I'm just saying people should not criticize behavior of which they have no first-hand knowledge. Like saying that the rev-matching is because of the locking of the torque converter, when it probably isn't, or saying that it will upshift on its own in manual mode, which it won't.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Like saying that the rev-matching is because of the locking of the torque converter, when it probably isn't, or saying that it will upshift on its own in manual mode, which it won't.
Neither of us knows for sure about the TC locking/unlocking or in which modes that might even apply. But it'd have to be either that or carefully managed slip tables to avoid unnecessary shift harshness.

It was probably somebody else mentioning upshifts in manual mode, but if that was true it'd certainly be an annoyance.

Try to understand that even a basic engineering understanding of how various things work counts for something here. It's like the basis for understanding what's going on. Hands-on experience fills in the details. Most of us have one or the other, but only a few have both.

I am smart enough to be able to criticize behaviors that I already know I, personally, would not like. And like anybody else's opinion, it's free to be taken into consideration or ignored completely by anybody else.

Norm

Last edited:

moose13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Stop and go sucks in any vehicle.

Most new cars to include our mustangs are stupid easy to drive in manual form and the traffic argument is trivial at best. Of course I've never had leg issues so I can't speak to that at all.
Not an "issue", but I have had more than one person question why my left calf has so much more definition than the right. Lol.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Then don't get one. I know, manuals are on their way out, but there will be used vehicles for a while, and new manuals are still being made, so it's not like you won't be able to get one next week, or next year.

Visit TREMEC. 5, 6, and 7 speed manual trans in production + TKO, T56, T56 magnum, TKX 5 speed, and specialty truck manuals. Sport, off-road, and high torque truck use will always demand manual trans.

Is the manual trans dead?

See this: https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...0YWHLQanOnSgV51XayvnzjDoUxLHjS9BoCjWcQAvD_BwE

Do you still know manuals are on their way out?

Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
This argument is on every forum, LOL. I know most autos will downshift when in manual mode, that s normal for obvious reasons. I have had 3 Porsche PDK autos and like the A10 (I assume) are great. I ordered the 6 speed for my own taste but don t begrudge someone preferring the A10.
Plus it keeps the wife and granddaughter out of my car!!

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...when I was leaving to get the '17 GT in the avatar, my wifey
says; don't get a manual so I can drive it.
So, I didn't.
Had the car 4 years and she drove it twice.
When I was buying the Sky, she says ; don't get a manual.
So, I told her to pick out one and I'll get it.
So she did.
When I was buying the Challenger, she says; don't get a manual.
So I didn't.

When I was buying this new Mustang, She says; it's your car.
Buy what you want.

So, I bought a manual and BLACK..................................:cwl::inlove:
Sponsored