Sponsored

Because if you buy a sports car with an automatic, you deserve to sufferJasonCammisa , 2021

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium manual
Ford isn't that dumb, if there was such a demand for MT cars they would build them. Fact is, dealers don't want them because they are harder to sell. (Well, before then pandemic that is).
Why is Ford offering a manual Bronco then? Why spend the development dollars on something that will be a hard sell and only a few will buy them?
Sponsored

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You look at the prices of Wranglers lately? $80K for a Jeep! They make them to make money. If they didn't, they would not sell them.
Yeah, $80k would be the exception and not the rule. Most Wranglers with 4 doors are in the 40k range. Still a lot, but not unheard of.

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...Even with the upgraded manual tranmission that I test drove earlier this year which supposedly fixed most of the issues of the MT-82, I still found myself fighting with the transmission. If you are fighting the car on the main shifts (2nd to 3rd, and 4th to 3rd argueably where you'd spend the most time for city driving), can you argue its more fun and more connected. If Ford had put a Tremec unit in the S550 in the first place, or even a better Getrag unit I'm sure there would have been more demand for the manual trans.
Ever notice how once a few people have a problem with a particular thing and it gets on the Internet, suddenly all of them are "junk?" My MT-82 shifts extremely well. No issue around 3rd gear. Perhaps if you were shifting at or near redline all the time there would be a problem, but who does that just driving around.

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
So how do you all feel about loosing contact point distributors, setting up spark curves and point dwells, changing plug wires, rebuilding/re-jetting carburetors? If things didnt progress, a 1000hp 5.0 litre would be unheard of. Do I miss doing all of the above? I sure do. I knew what was going on, how it worked and could practically fix it with a screwdriver, a pair of plier and a hammer. I hate the black box technology but I love what it does and what it allows you to do. All part of progress. If the "soul" or "fun" aspect of a car depends on what stick protrudes through the floor, than there are other issues present.
A cup of coffee and reading these Manual vs Auto threads are so entertaining. I've owned more Mustangs in my 50+ years on this planet than I care to count. Whenever I take my 68 out for a cruise, I'm absolutely floored how far vehicles have come. My bored 289 that I spend a shitload of time under the hood with has nowhere near the hp of my 20 but has just as much "soul". All my 80+ year model Mustangs that I've owned were all manuals. My 20 is the first Auto of any late model Mustang that has been in my garage, and it's an absolute blast to drive. Wouldn't change a thing about it.

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
Ever notice how once a few people have a problem with a particular thing and it gets on the Internet, suddenly all of them are "junk?" My MT-82 shifts extremely well. No issue around 3rd gear. Perhaps if you were shifting at or near redline all the time there would be a problem, but who does that just driving around.
At the time of my search there were few cars in my price range, I didn't do a lot of research outside of finding general info about class action lawsuits between both the 10R80 and the MT-82 didn't read the specifics. Maybe you got lucky but out of the 3 test drives with the manuals I found lying around all three of them more or less fought with me going into 3rd gear. As much as I would love to drive at redline, all the time. My wallet wouldn't be able to keep up with the cost for gas like that and I don't track my car (yet, haven't decided whether to autox or track). Shifting was done roughly around 3-5 rpm depending on the vehicle if I remember right (note this was like 7 months ago). When it comes to finding reviews of the manual I don't think I've read a bad one either everyone either doesn't comment on it or the praise it like crazy. Then again I spent more time looking at 2.3T vs 5.0 threads more than transmission threads, at least till after my purchase.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Less people want it and less people know how to drive manual. Manual trans GT's sit on the lots out here much longer than AT. Ford isn't that dumb, if there was such a demand for MT cars they would build them. Fact is, dealers don't want them because they are harder to sell. (Well, before then pandemic that is).
At the point we are now this could be true. I still argue that most manuals on a given lot will be a less desirable trim level though. Force feeding has been going on since dirt was invented. When I test drove both A10 and M6 cars, the auto was readily available fully loaded while the manual was bare bones. At the time, the lot didn’t have a non bare bones manual at all. I remember years ago the manuals on lots were also the cars that still had window cranks. I’m very confident if the lots had loaded manuals and bare bones autos, take rates would change.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
The manual vs auto banter never gets old, it just keeps going and going and going and going and going. I say to each his/her own. :yawn:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The manual vs auto banter never gets old, it just keeps going and going and going and going and going. I say to each his/her own. :yawn:
It never stops because manual is best...wait now I drive an auto so it's best...back to a manual so now it's best again...pfft my EV is better than both of those! Ef EV's!!!

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
I read about a Boeing 747 pilot who spent $120K for a Boeing-Stearman open cockpit bi-plane.
(early 1940's aircraft) Which one do you think is more amazing to fly around in?

Talk of setting points with a match stick misses the point. Who says technology has not improved manual trans drive line? Carbon fiber/kevlar dual friction clutch, dual plate clutch, triple plate clutch, centrifugal fly weight grippers, aluminum fly wheels, shifter fork improvements out the A. Improved synchros, shorter throws, rev matching, higher torque transfer, larger center distances, internal friction reduction, and CNC cut gear sets. Couple that with all the 2021 power plant tech and you have a sports car that is just amazing to fly around in.

It is not too hard to understand where Cammisa is coming from.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
It never stops because manual is best...wait now I drive an auto so it's best...back to a manual so now it's best again...pfft my EV is better than both of those! Ef EV's!!!
Yep it is hilarious, I think some members post the Auto vs manual or is it Manual vs auto topic just to get a rise out of other members. Personally I think it's bad-ass that you can get a Coyote w/a 10-spd auto that hauls the mail.
I drive a stick, who cares, get what pleases you and work on making your particular platform quicker. That's my moto.
Hail to all auto drivers, hail to all manual drivers... :yawn:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Yep it is hilarious, I think some members post the Auto vs manual or is it Manual vs auto topic just to get a rise out of other members. Personally I think it's bad-ass that you can get a Coyote w/a 10-spd auto that hauls the mail.
I drive a stick, who cares, get what pleases you and work on making your particular platform quicker. That's my moto.
Hail to all auto drivers, hail to all manual drivers... :yawn:
Also a stick driver that appreciates the A10. Best auto I've driven to date.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6