BBQ/Typewriter Tick - A/C stretchy belt / tensioner kit : TSB from 2012

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi everyone,

I actually did not plan to start yet another BBQ thread, but since this might be useful, I did anyway :crazy:

My car also has the tick since it had 300 miles on it (before first oil change) and it is most present when cold and also when turning on the A/C (when truning it off it is almost gone)

I can upload a YT video later on to demonstrate it , but already found two similar videos (also check the comments)

I think @Condor1970 mentioned here in the forums the TSB 12-8-14 from 2012 related to Coyotes, ticks and A/C : https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb12-08-14.pdf

If you check for the TSB on google you'll find some interesing sources/comments :
https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/2013-mustang-5-0l-engine-tick-resolved-525074/

Due to a seasonal license number my car is currently in hibernation until April, but prolly someone who has an appointment at the dealer in the near future regarding typewriter/BBQ the tick can show that TSB to a tech. At least it may point into a new directon instead of replacing short blocks without any result.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
Hi everyone,

I actually did not plan to start yet another BBQ thread, but since this might be useful, I did anyway :crazy:

My car also has the tick since it had 300 miles on it (before first oil change) and it is most present when cold and also when turning on the A/C (when truning it off it is almost gone)

I can upload a YT video to demonstrate it later on, but already found to similar (also check the comments)

I think Condor1971 mentioned here in the forums the TSB 12-8-14 from 2012 related to Coyotes, ticks and A/C : https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb12-08-14.pdf

If you check for the TSB on google you'll find some interesing sources/comments :
https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/2013-mustang-5-0l-engine-tick-resolved-525074/

Due to a seasonal license number my car is currently in hibernation until April, but prolly someone who has appointment at the dealer in the near future to check for the tick can show that TSB to a tech. At least it may point into a new directon instead of replacing short blocks without any result.
I hope this is the solution, however it wouldn't explain why most start hearing the tick right after the first oil change.

Anyway, if the stretchy belt is still the same as 11-12 models this TSB should automatically apply for later years.

Would be a shame for Ford not refreshing the TSB notes and more shame on dealers for replacing short block uselessly....

mustangflanagan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I did this tsb..doesn't get rid of tick but does eliminate the random thud sound I got after car warmed up and driven.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I did this TSB, and I had a thudding kind of tick up to 2k rpm. That tick went away. I think it may have been the A/C compressor itself making some noise from over tension from the stretchy belt. Either way, the engine does sound smoother now. The only noise I have remnants of now, is the 2k rattle, but I honestly don't think that is internal to the engine. I think it has more to due with the injection system, or maybe the IMRC or intake manifold somehow.

OP
OP
geddy lee

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sounds interesting - especially that they use this 2012 TSB on the 2018 model. (or did you own an older one before ?)

By the way here is "my" tick. The video ist from July 2018, is think it is not as loud as that anymore :

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sounds interesting - especially that they use this 2012 TSB on the 2018 model. (or did you own an older one before ?)

By the way here is "my" tick. The video ist from July 2018, is think it is not as loud as that anymore :
Yes, since the tick you have is directly affected by AC operation, then the TSB to add a belt tension arm may help. The kit is only $120usd on the LMR website. It sure seemed to help for me.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
OP
OP
geddy lee

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yes, that's the one.
I think I'll try this on my car as soon as it is back on the road in spring.

In general : As people talk about different ticking noises and rattles (and probably mix it up), I wonder if we have

- (a) the 2000 rpm rattle that might be normal in the 2018+ GTs
- (b) a few who really have scored cylinder walls with a loud rattle...even when the engine is warm
- (c) the stretchy belt/ AC tick that maybe 80 % of the people have and name it the bbq tick :question:

At least this might explain why Stangs between 2011/2012 until now have it...as well as F150s and even different cars like the Duramax etc.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The problem with this TSB, is there's just no way to guarantee success. Some guys like me really noticed a difference, and others said it did absolutely nothing. I only tried it because I found an old thread where someone with a 2015 GT said it helped, and on the LMR website a reviewer said it also fits on the 2018 GT.

As an engineer, my personal opinion is that using a stretchy belt is a just a cheap way to save money, and weight. A separate tension arm really is the proper way to maintain long term constant tension without causing as many issues. That's why I think they did it on the Mustang, since it saves a few bucks and shaves a pound or two off total curb weight. All F-150's have a tension arm, and all 5.0L engines have the same timing cover with the bosses machined for installing it. So, that's what I did.

If a stretchy belt was better engineering, then they would have installed it on all F-150's as well. But they didn't, because the F-150 is Ford's bread 'n butter. They won't take the chance with issues using a cheap stretchy belt.

The good news is, even if it doesn't make that noise go away, you can at least have a bit of peace of mind knowing that a tension arm is better engineering for smoother operation. If you're really concerned, or hell bent on saving weight, then you can always take it off.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
The problem with this TSB, is there's just no way to guarantee success. Some guys like me really noticed a difference, and others said it did absolutely nothing. I only tried it because I found an old thread where someone with a 2015 GT said it helped, and on the LMR website a reviewer said it also fits on the 2018 GT.

As an engineer, my personal opinion is that using a stretchy belt is a just a cheap way to save money, and weight. A separate tension arm really is the proper way to maintain long term constant tension without causing as many issues. That's why I think they did it on the Mustang, since it saves a few bucks and shaves a pound or two off total curb weight. All F-150's have a tension arm, and all 5.0L engines have the same timing cover with the bosses machined for installing it. So, that's what I did.

If a stretchy belt was better engineering, then they would have installed it on all F-150's as well. But they didn't, because the F-150 is Ford's bread 'n butter. They won't take the chance with issues using a cheap stretchy belt.

The good news is, even if it doesn't make that noise go away, you can at least have a bit of peace of mind knowing that a tension arm is better engineering for smoother operation. If you're really concerned, or hell bent on saving weight, then you can always take it off.
Did you install the arm yourself?