Sponsored

BBQ tick S650?

Nitrofish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt 301a
@metalmadman the legend of the coyote tick ha ha. my gen 1 for some reason didn’t have this same tick even tho ford says they all did and it’s normal however it made it’s own weird noise from the passenger side that worried me but nothing came from it. the gen 3 tho seems it’s automatic as soon as you do the first oil change it starts ticking like a angry barbecue lol it is kinda disappointing that the motor sounds this way but I’ve come to accept it I’ve had people ask me what’s wrong with my engine I just tell them that’s how you know it’s making some power tick tick like a bomb ready to go off 😂
Sponsored

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT with Recaro bucket seat option.
@metalmadman i once thought about that as well kinda sounds like that expanding metal sound in a way but sadly after adding headers and no cats its still there after a fresh oil change ha ha. Just noisy engines only thing I’ve ever heard that makes sense is someone on here awhile back said it could be solenoid or oil pressure related where the lash adjuster and rocker arm make contact for a split second and makes the tick due to low oil pressure this kinda makes sense as I’ve noticed the tick and 2k rattle slowly fade away with mileage on oil but become very loud on fresh oil but who really knows. I’m just glad to see I wasn’t the only one down by my wheel thinking those ticking cats gotta go 😅
When they first came out with CATs they caused fires. I don't think we need them. I have heard CATs on the GT500s have to be replaced due to the blown motor producing a lot of heat through the CATs. I live in Texas. I don't know if I could get rid of mine and still be illegal. We are getting rid of inspections soon. However, I'm sure there will be an inspection for the EPA crap.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
When the oil pressure comes up the tick is still there. It must not be serious because Ford is ignoring it. Ford did not ignore the "idiot light", however. I was just thinking off the top of my head just like everyone else. Someone could listen with a scope and maybe find it. The tick is not being heard in the cabin of the car, so Ford does not care. If the tick was as loud as the exhaust leak I had on my Galaxie they would. If it was a safety issue they would recall. Durability issue they would. I don't know if Gen 1s and 2s had the tick. If they did, a lot them have a lot of miles on them and are still running. I have only heard about Mustangs having it. Do the F150s have the tick too? If they do, then it is a part of the motor and we can move on.

I brought it up because a lot of people talk about it. It has become a legend like Bigfoot. "Is it serious or not?" "What is it?" Ford seems to be of the opinion to ignore it. Well, considering the price of Mustangs, I can understand why people still talk about it. 60,000 to 80, 000 thousand dollars and the motor makes a noise no one knows what causes it. Like people talk about the existence of Bigfoot, people will continue to talk about the infamous Tick of the Coyote. Maybe we need to put a flea and TICK collar on our Mustangs. LOL
As I understand it, the coyote in the F-150 ticks also (as I would assume it would given their the same just tuned differently). Lots of truck examples over 100k and there’s a fair amount of high mileage GT’s here that tick and have had zero issues. So I’ll take Ford at its word that it’s normal and nothing to worry about.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
As long as there is a coyote engine there will be a tick. It always surprises me how the same conversation is had about every 3 months or so 😆

Nevertheless, tick is harmless. Don't believe me, name one incident where an engine blew because of tick. Either way, a bottle of Ceratec fixes the issue!

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
@metalmadman the legend of the coyote tick ha ha. my gen 1 for some reason didn’t have this same tick even tho ford says they all did and it’s normal however it made it’s own weird noise from the passenger side that worried me but nothing came from it. the gen 3 tho seems it’s automatic as soon as you do the first oil change it starts ticking like a angry barbecue lol it is kinda disappointing that the motor sounds this way but I’ve come to accept it I’ve had people ask me what’s wrong with my engine I just tell them that’s how you know it’s making some power tick tick like a bomb ready to go off 😂
So your Gen 1 was doing something but from a different side. I had 1965 on my car. The dealer I bought the car from did a oil change before I bought it. I did not notice the tick until I started looking for it. I heard everyone talk about it, so after driving the car, I bent over and listened. I cannot hear it with the hood up. The noise from all the injectors drowns it out. I have noticed my motor makes more noise than my previous motors.
I had a friend who had a Holley electric fuel pump. I heard a tick coming from the rear of the car and ask him what it was. He said, "That's the electric fuel." Maybe the tick is a pump. I will say, lots going on with the Gen 3. Dual fuel injection makes noise. Fuel pumps make noise. Could be just something in the electronics.

Sponsored

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
As long as there is a coyote engine there will be a tick. It always surprises me how the same conversation is had about every 3 months or so 😆

Nevertheless, tick is harmless. Don't believe me, name one incident where an engine blew because of tick. Either way, a bottle of Ceratec fixes the issue!
Like I said, it's like Bigfoot. People have seen it, the tick, everyone has heard it. And like Bigfoot, no one knows what THE TICK is. LOL It's an enigma wrapped up in a mystery. LOL

Hifiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 Mustang
For what it’s worth, I did not have the tick after my first oil change (Amsoil 0w30). It was not till my second oil change (Kirkland 5w30) where it immediately started after the car warmed up.

Nitrofish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt 301a
@metalmadman yea my gen 1 had some sort of different noise idk how to even explain it wasn’t a tick almost sounded like an exhaust leak but after having the car in the air three different times I gave up and just accepted it was normal until something blew or otherwise but it never missed a beat so must’ve been normal lol. when I bought my 22 I knew it would tick after the first oil change which it did 🤣 right at 1100 miles just the nature of the beast.

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
@metalmadman yea my gen 1 had some sort of different noise idk how to even explain it wasn’t a tick almost sounded like an exhaust leak but after having the car in the air three different times I gave up and just accepted it was normal until something blew or otherwise but it never missed a beat so must’ve been normal lol. when I bought my 22 I knew it would tick after the first oil change which it did 🤣 right at 1100 miles just the nature of the beast.
I have 3900 miles on my 2023. I'm not worried about it. When I opened the hood the first time with it running I was a little shocked at all the engine noise. Someone said that's the reason for the engine cover, drowned out the noise. Yeah, it runs great. I love it. I pamper it really. I bought a Seal Skin car cover for it. I have always wanted a Mustang since I sat in a GT500 in 67. Yeah, I'm a Boomer and have rode and drove a few fast cars. Never owned one until now.
The thread came up so I thought I would give my two cents on it. We will be talking about it again I'm sure. The next time a noob buys a new Mustang, hears, the infamous TICK and says, "OH, MY GOD!" "WHAT IS THAT!" It's nothing. Just do what I do, shift the gears, push the pedal and enjoy. The main thing we have to worry about is getting a ticket.

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
My car is a strange story. It was bought in St. Louis. The first owner had the car for one week, drove it 1873 miles, then it went straight to action. It was then bought by Principle Volkswagen in Grapevine Tx. They kept the car two weeks, then it went back to action. Mitchell Toyota bought the car with 1913 miles on it. Toyota listed the car on 08/10/2023, then again on 09/11/2023 with 1933 miles on it. I bought the car on 10/17/2023 with 1965 miles on it. No wrecks, no engine replacement are listed on CARFAX. I kept a copy of the CARFAX and I'm reading it as I type this. It was bought by Reuther Automotive in Saint Louis. MO. 02/06/2023 with 11 miles on it. It was bought on 03/06/2023 by first owner. 03/13/2023 it went on action with 1872 miles on it.
Mitchell got the car on 05/15/2023. Inspected on 05/16/2023. Mitchell put the car up on 08/10/2023 first time. Second time was 09/11/2023, then I bought it.
I had to edit the day it was bought by first owner. I read it wrong.
Sponsored

Last edited: