Battery dead. Argh COVID-19.

dougie360

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Picked up a 2019 GT-350 last year and drove every week, a few times a week. Then shelter in place happened. I went two weeks without driving, no problem. Started right up. Then went 3 weeks, and nothing. No lights, no dashboard. Nada. Ran out to Costo and picked up a Type 6 Lithium Jump Starter. Worked on the second try. My question is whether it is normal for a car battery to die so quickly between drives. Never had that happen in other cars. Only thing connected is a Uniden R7 via direct tap to the mirror, but that shouldn't draw when the car is off. Is FordPass or active updates cycling the wifi from time to time? I don't think I should have to get a battery tender for such short times between drives.
Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Picked up a 2019 GT-350 last year and drove every week, a few times a week. Then shelter in place happened. I went two weeks without driving, no problem. Started right up. Then went 3 weeks, and nothing. No lights, no dashboard. Nada. Ran out to Costo and picked up a Type 6 Lithium Jump Starter. Worked on the second try. My question is whether it is normal for a car battery to die so quickly between drives. Never had that happen in other cars. Only thing connected is a Uniden R7 via direct tap to the mirror, but that shouldn't draw when the car is off. Is FordPass or active updates cycling the wifi from time to time? I don't think I should have to get a battery tender for such short times between drives.
My 16 and 17 if set for over a week would give me a message that some systems had shut down because of low battery but car would start. Theres a lot of sensors and stuff on cars now a days that put drain on battery even when car is shut off. And I guess to save weight these cars come with a battery that doesn't have or store a lot of power. In winter if my cars were not going to be started for a week or more under the carport I would keep a battery tender on them.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Yes. You have parasitic draw from Ford Pass, especially if connected to wifi. Usually you will get a message that the car is entering deep sleep to conserve power if you have not powered it up in about 10 days - 2 weeks. Did you get a Ford Pass message? I do not use a detector, but possibly a draw from that as well. But I do not think these OEM batteries are very durable. If my Shelby sits a week it does not crank over so quickly. I keep a portable jumper in the glovebox for those 'always-at-the-worst-possible-times' moments.

Last edited:

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
The OEM batteries are not good. My 2018 could not handle a 45 minute AC/ON session, and its gotten worse ever since. I'll be heading over to AutoZone to get a much more powerful battery tomorrow...

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
My 2019 has a weak battery as well. I haven’t started mine in over 2 weeks and I expect it to be completely dead when I try to start it later this week.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Since mine is a garage queen, I don’t care how long it sits, it’s always for an unforecasted amount of time, and thus always goes on the charger. Never had a questionable battery moment.

cantdrive55

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R, 96 Viper GTS
Vehicle Showcase
I have mine on a battery tender. My Viper battery will drain down enough that it won't start after about a week and a half of sitting - though it takes a lot of juice to get that thing to turn over, the battery is rated for about 900 CCA .My Tacoma sat for about 3 weeks and fired right up no problem.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
My 2019 is going into sleep mode after one week of not driving now. I was driving it around the big block for about 12 minutes of driving once a week and that wasn't working. Now I take it out for 45 to 60 minutes every 5 or 6 days. Just bought a battery tender and will hook it up today. Batteries in these cars are crap.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
My 2019 is going into sleep mode after one week of not driving now. I was driving it around the big block for about 12 minutes of driving once a week and that wasn't working. Now I take it out for 45 to 60 minutes every 5 or 6 days. Just bought a battery tender and will hook it up today. Batteries in these cars are crap.
Depending on your parking lay out, you may find this is a useful item as well:

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-304-Comfort-Connect-Extension/dp/B00ADIHUVG.

815nga7qhll-_ac_sl1500_-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Battery tender came with something like that as well.

Big Ernie McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Charger Scat Pack, 2013 Silverado
I just was at the dealer twice within the last week because of the battery failing and finally got them to replace under warranty. I think they said all Ford would put in was a 470cca. It was to the point where any starting would require a jump start. The car is an 18 with 3200 miles. I had a tender on over the winter and last year it was completely fine. The factory battery is very tiny.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
My 2016 GT350 Tech pack came with a 390cca battery. It gave up this past fall, and they put in a 470cca. So, just at 3 1/2 years it was dying.
Sponsored