Basic coilovers vs. high end shocks/struts

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Chassis' started by EFI, Dec 12, 2017.

1. EFI

EFI Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    5.Br0
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    During this winter I plan on upgrading the suspension setup on my car, and would like to get some ideas on what would work best for both street and track use.

Car is a daily driver and summer weekend track car (usually hit about 10-15 events a year), so not quite a dedicated setup by any means. While I would love to drop 4k on some high end dual/triple adjustable coilovers, that's a bit much right now.

So looking in the 1000-1500 range, which gets me either some nice high end shock/strut/spring combo (Koni, Billstein etc.) or some basic single adjustable coilovers (ISC, Pedders etc.)

Looking at purely performance on the track, what would be the better choice between those two options? I'm leaning towards the Billsteins with some Swift springs just for the fact that it's still a street car, but if even a set of lowly coilovers will outperform those on the track then I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of the street manners for all out cornering.

2. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    I'd take a great shock and spring combo over a cheap(er) coilover everytime. Bilsteins + BMR Handling springs (the new ones) would be awesome. That plus the rear LCA bearings and you'd have one helluva setup.

3. SteedaTech

SteedaTech Well-Known Member
    Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang Q750
    0   0   0
    Here is another option, our Steeda Dual Rate springs and Pro-action adjustable shocks & struts very popular among the HPDE enthusiast!
    Furthermore, the ride quality is excellent for a on track set up!
    Also, comes with a lifetime warranty
    If you have any questions please reach out to miked@steeda.com[/email]

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Track-Suspension-Package-15-17-555-2409 thumbnail (2).jpg dual.jpg

tj@steeda likes this.
  4. Nuked

Nuked Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
    0   0   0
    I'll second this. You get what you pay for with coilovers more times than not. Higher end shock/strut and spring combo > budget coilovers.

5. GT 550

GT 550 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Black GT MT S550
    0   0   0
    Third it.

A coilover is pretty much just a different means of doing the same thing. It doesn't inherently make a better suspension. There are some advantages to a coilover; if it's a threaded body (not all are) you can adj ride height easily instead of changing springs, if it's dual threaded you can change ride height without affecting travel, and if you want to change valving and spring changes at the same time you're only dropping one unit to do both.

I'll take good valving in a standard config matched to the right springs over average valving in a coilover every time.