Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
There is a good chance you could alleviate your too-loud problem by replacing the x-pipe with an original resonator, a bit of kit designed to do just such a job. And resonator-delete/x-pipe is not a big power adder.

My '18 was middle-quiet at cruise and deceleration with the OEM exhaust intact. Replacing the resonator with the Borla "SwitchFire" convoluted x-pipe was a noise-enhancer I'm still getting used to: Loud on start-up and a little less loud on spirited acceleration, quiet-ish on un-stressed cruise.

There is also the environmental effect: There are scientific observations that show certain kinds of attention make for differing reports as to sound characteristics. Watching a sound video of a Shelby Cobra passing by on a country road led viewers to over-estimate actual speed by nearly twenty-five per cent as opposed to a family-sedan car at the same velocity.

Another example of how focus of a receiver's hearing apparatus can influence perception: Implanting electrodes in cats' auditory nerves showed blips on an oscilloscope when there was a "click" sound in the environment at the start of the click-series. After a while the clicks continued, but the blips ceased to appear. When a mouse was introduced to the cats' environment, once they were paying attention, the blips re-appeared. So it's not inconceivable that your attention is changing your perceptions.
Sponsored

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
There is a good chance you could alleviate your too-loud problem by replacing the x-pipe with an original resonator, a bit of kit designed to do just such a job. And resonator-delete/x-pipe is not a big power adder.
Well, see the problem with this is that the sound level was there before the x-pipe (and I also like the x-pipe too much). I'm gonna try to delete my sound tube, because that pumps in a lot of audio, and I'm going to deactivate the active road noise that Ford has put into the S550. I'll make an update on that after I get the plugs for the sound tube delete.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well, see the problem with this is that the sound level was there before the x-pipe (and I also like the x-pipe too much). I'm gonna try to delete my sound tube, because that pumps in a lot of audio, and I'm going to deactivate the active road noise that Ford has put into the S550. I'll make an update on that after I get the plugs for the sound tube delete.
Oh yeah, sound tube has to go once you start making the exhaust louder. Cleaner sound and less intrusive by a decent bit. Since when does the GT have ANC? I know the Ecoboost and GT350 do. GT hasn't had it.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah, sound tube has to go once you start making the exhaust louder. Cleaner sound and less intrusive by a decent bit. Since when does the GT have ANC? I know the Ecoboost and GT350 do. GT hasn't had it.
Huh, I thought they all had it. Maybe it doesn't and something else is up. Now I gotta figure that out, cause there's no reason it should be as loud as it is.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, I think my passenger window seal might be the majority of the issue here, as well as the pesky sound tube (which is getting removed probably Thursday). It might be difficult to see, but the driver's window sits flush with the rear 3/4 window and well into the weatherstripping. The passenger door window juts out, and I can easily stick my finger into the car by pushing the stripping away while the window is closed.
1st Picture: Driver
2nd Picture: Passenger
IMG_20200323_131306.jpg
IMG_20200323_131226.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, I think my passenger window seal might be the majority of the issue here, as well as the pesky sound tube (which is getting removed probably Thursday). It might be difficult to see, but the driver's window sits flush with the rear 3/4 window and well into the weatherstripping. The passenger door window juts out, and I can easily stick my finger into the car by pushing the stripping away while the window is closed.
1st Picture: Driver
2nd Picture: Passenger
IMG_20200323_131306.jpg
IMG_20200323_131226.jpg
Your glass looks like it's not captured in the glass run channel correctly. I'd take it in for warranty work...

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Huh, I thought they all had it. Maybe it doesn't and something else is up. Now I gotta figure that out, cause there's no reason it should be as loud as it is.
The gt does not have active sound canceling.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Well let me throw my hat in here, I have the 19 gt premium with active exhaust and res delete and a borla switch fire mid in its place I am also running pirelli tires( i saw you mentioned that) and my car in quiet mode is fairly quiet no more loud than any other car really. As for sound deadening... these cars have barely none. I have had my car dismantled from the front seats back and can tell you other than a few strips of some hard goo ( which im assuming is deadening) the car is bare metal under the trim.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I would focus on the glass. If your getting wind noise and other noises I would suspect is most if not all the issue. I have a vert and with the top up I don’t have wind noises.

I’ve never bought into the sound tube as pumping sound in or making the cabin louder. It simply pulls vacuum through a filter at the head of the hose to the drum that makes the noises. Getting rid of it just makes the engine bay quieter. At least on the 15-17’s.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would focus on the glass. If your getting wind noise and other noises I would suspect is most if not all the issue. I have a vert and with the top up I don’t have wind noises.

I’ve never bought into the sound tube as pumping sound in or making the cabin louder. It simply pulls vacuum through a filter at the head of the hose to the drum that makes the noises. Getting rid of it just makes the engine bay quieter. At least on the 15-17’s.
Buy into it or not, it does. It has a diaphragm and a resonance chamber to 'tune' the sound going into the cabin, but it is.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well let me throw my hat in here, I have the 19 gt premium with active exhaust and res delete and a borla switch fire mid in its place I am also running pirelli tires( i saw you mentioned that) and my car in quiet mode is fairly quiet no more loud than any other car really. As for sound deadening... these cars have barely none. I have had my car dismantled from the front seats back and can tell you other than a few strips of some hard goo ( which im assuming is deadening) the car is bare metal under the trim.
Oh yeah, I know that there's very little, but it's odd to me how much quieter my friend's was than mine, so I thought maybe the base has more deadening or something like that.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I find this amusing, folks buy a performance car, add some upgrades. Complain about the exhaust and cry about not being able to yap on the phone .

I do like the humor of the situation ...

LMAO

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I find this amusing, folks buy a performance car, add some upgrades. Complain about the exhaust and cry about not being able to yap on the phone .

I do like the humor of the situation ...

LMAO
That's not at all what was going on here, but thanks for contributing nothing to the thread and being a wiseass. The original thought was that a friend's car with a louder exhaust was quieter, I guess you failed to read any of that. Talking on the phone was merely an example of how loud the interior is vs. my friend's car. I also said to many different replies that I like my exhaust and won't be changing it by removing the x-pipe to quiet it down... Just because it's "a performance car" doesn't exempt people from talking about potential issues or making statements about it.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That it's a performance car doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't care about sound deadening. You may enjoy the sound of your engine and exhaust, but wind and tire noise is as annoying in a performance car as it is in any other. The less of that, the better.
Sponsored