crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I was driving in my friend's pretty much straight piped (Cat delete, resonator delete x-pipe, Borla Atak axle back) 2016 base GT not too long ago. I was surprised by how quiet his cabin is, you could barely hear the exhaust AT ALL when the windows were closed, even if he was giving it a lot of throttle. However, I have a 2018 Mustang Premium GT with the OEM active exhaust and an x-pipe and it's very different. I generally cannot call anyone on the phone while driving my car because the sound is just too loud inside the cabin. Is this the difference of cloth vs leather seats or did Ford switch something in the 2018 refresh? My understanding is that the Premium would probably have better sound deadening, so it would probably be quieter IF there is any difference at all.
Does anyone know anything about this?
Sponsored

ABPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP2
I can’t say that I know if there is a difference in sound deadening between the trim levels. I have a 19 premium and I find the car very quiet

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
I think the exhausts on both cars are different enough to account for the noise level. The x-pipe is why you get resonance in the cabin. The rest of the OEM exhaust is more restrictive than the x-pipe, so there is back-pressure at times somewhere in the exhaust before the tailpipe that is causing resonance in the cabin. Although, it could be as simple as you have a more powerful car.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I think the exhausts on both cars are different enough to account for the noise level. The x-pipe is why you get resonance in the cabin. The rest of the OEM exhaust is more restrictive than the x-pipe, so there is back-pressure at times somewhere in the exhaust before the tailpipe that is causing resonance in the cabin. Although, it could be as simple as you have a more powerful car.
It is nearly the same as when I had the full OEM non-active system. Plus, it wouldn't make sense that his straight piped car is quieter on the inside than my car with full mufflers and cats.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t say that I know if there is a difference in sound deadening between the trim levels. I have a 19 premium and I find the car very quiet
Do you have the factory exhaust, and do you have the sound tube still in your intake?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The Borla ATAK and Corsa exhausts are fantastic at limiting interior noise unless you are WOT. That is the primary difference.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have factory AE, X pipe no sound tube delete
Man I just don't get it. I have that but my interior is so extremely loud, wind and road as well as exhaust. He didn't even have much wind or road noise. I'm starting to think it might be these crappy Pirelli's.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The Borla ATAK and Corsa exhausts are fantastic at limiting interior noise unless you are WOT. That is the primary difference.
Yeah but without cats and a resonator? Even when he was WOT for a short burst the interior was still quiet and I easily could've been talking on the phone with my grandma.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah but without cats and a resonator? Even when he was WOT for a short burst the interior was still quiet and I easily could've been talking on the phone with my grandma.
Yes. It's a big difference. I am pretty certain that there is no difference in sound deadening amount and material.

Sponsored

ABPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP2
Man I just don't get it. I have that but my interior is so extremely loud, wind and road as well as exhaust. He didn't even have much wind or road noise. I'm starting to think it might be these crappy Pirelli's.

I do have a bit of tire (cup2’s) noise but not wind noise or otherwise. Is it possible you have a bad window or door seal?

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. It's a big difference. I am pretty certain that there is no difference in sound deadening amount and material.
Actually, reading another thread and watching some YT videos I think I may have it. His car probably doesn't have the active noise cancellation, which kind of doesn't do anything, but works like the sound tube (which he also doesn't have) and pumps in bass through the speakers to amplify deeper exhaust tones. I might go unplug that tomorrow and drive around and see if there's a difference.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I do have a bit of tire (cup2’s) noise but not wind noise or otherwise. Is it possible you have a bad window or door seal?
That is possible. My passenger window looks like it is slightly misaligned and it doesn't really have the best seal with the rubber on the frame when the door is closed.

W1cK3dSiK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2, 2020 F150 Lariat Sport
Loudness is very subjective...however I have the stock active exhaust with an x-pipe and I don’t find it overbearing at all. If I am going to make a call I just put it in quiet. Not sure what’s going on but I’m assuming your friends exhaust just has less resonance making its way into the cabin.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Loudness is very subjective...however I have the stock active exhaust with an x-pipe and I don’t find it overbearing at all. If I am going to make a call I just put it in quiet. Not sure what’s going on but I’m assuming your friends exhaust just has less resonance making its way into the cabin.
Even before I changed it (I had the non-selectable exhaust with the resonator) it was loud. It isn't overbearing and I don't think it's all that loud, but it definitely impedes my ability to call people. It's just that it is much more intrusive than his even though he's got much more volume coming out of his pipes.
Sponsored