Sponsored

BASE GT BRAKES, ANY ROTOR, PAD RECOMMENDATION?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
And would u say ur up to par with the pp Brembos? Or better?
I don't know yet. Not sure I will know either. Jigar at Steeda said the setup would be better than a stock Brembo setup but who knows lol. I would doubt that they are better, maybe if the Brembos had stock pads and I had track pads.

I haven't installed them yet. But my theory is with a proper set of rotors and pads these 4 piston calipers will be plenty good enough for light to moderate track duty/autocross.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kboeh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack, 2019 Mustang Ecoboost performance Pack, 1978 Pontiac Trans Am
I don't know yet. Not sure I will know either. Jigar at Steeda said the setup would be better than a stock Brembo setup but who knows lol.

I haven't installed them yet. But my theory is with a proper set of rotors and pads these 4 piston calipers will be plenty good enough for track duty/autocross.
Personally I do not think the rotors are an issue. I believe it is more of a pad and fluid problem as well as people over braking on track. For fluid, I would say go with some Motul DOT4 and pads go with something like GLOC or Hawk meant for track duty, can’t say what to use in the mustang as my challenger weighs much more than the mustangs. If you wanted to you could swap rotors to a stock style slotted set up and get some additional cooling, but I don’t think it’s necessary to swap to a different type of rotor, and neither does most of the people on the ecoboost mustang forums.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Personally I do not think the rotors are an issue. I believe it is more of a pad and fluid problem as well as people over braking on track. For fluid, I would say go with some Motul DOT4 and pads go with something like GLOC or Hawk meant for track duty, can’t say what to use in the mustang as my challenger weighs much more than the mustangs. If you wanted to you could swap rotors to a stock style slotted set up and get some additional cooling, but I don’t think it’s necessary to swap to a different type of rotor, and neither does most of the people on the ecoboost mustang forums.
Pads and fluid for sure, but it seemed me the stock rotor cooling issue was common knowledge. I'll be back with a source.

Kboeh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack, 2019 Mustang Ecoboost performance Pack, 1978 Pontiac Trans Am
Pads and fluid for sure, but it seemed me the stock rotor cooling issue was common knowledge. I'll be back with a source.
I have talked to many people on the ecoboost forum who still use the stock rotors on track. Again, ford does extensive testing on these cars, if it really was an issue they wouldn’t have used it. Also, I noticed my father in laws M3 has the same rotor set up while I was doing a pad swap on it a few weeks ago. Just because it is not a conventional set up doesn’t mean it’s “wrong”.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Check with Vorshlag.

But if by 'stock' you mean base GT (and anything else that uses the same design), it's about the air inlet to the internal rotor passages being on the wheel side rather than on the back side like virtually all previous vented rotors. It's nowhere near as good as the traditional back-side air inlet combined with the cooling ducts that most people who are the least bit serious about their track time end up with anyway.

Norm

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Vorshlag track testing with Base GT brakes. Terry even spoke to the Ford engineer who designed the rotors and talks about what went into it.

His view from their testing. These Base GT front rotors are just horrible and shouldn't be used on the track ever.

Last edited:

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
If I wouldnt have found Brembo's at a Salvage yard for $200. I would just keep the stock brakes. They actually bite pretty hard surprisingly.
Sponsored