Unleash-The-Beast

Flashback to 1965
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mr. Ed
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium W. drop top
I would love to hear from others that have ideas pro or con to what I have discovered so far. Leaning towards MGW for the following reasons. (PS not looking for a "brand" wars here)

So I have spent hours with google checking out new shifters for my 2015 GT. I am boiling it down to three contenders, MGW, Barton, and Steeda Tri Ax. From everything I read, it sounds like I will not be unhappy with any of them. So I started thinking of which would be easiest to install. (DIY on jack stands)
  1. Barton install video looks like a LOT of parts to assemble under the car. BUT has interchangeable cartridge, (unlikely I would ever use that.)
  2. Steeda looks like less parts than Barton, but still putting some stuff together and lubricating. BUT interchangeable springs, (not likely I really need that feature)
  3. MGW is fully assembled, nothing to lubricate, seems like the least amount of screwing around under the car. (Issue installing boot and the "offset" shifter has been fixed.)
I also like how MGW completely replaces the old linkage, a COMPLETE replacement. The original Ford linkage has universal joints installed, replacing that seems like a good idea. (Barton and Steeda use Ford linkage) All three companies look like they put a good deal of time into developing a quality shifter. SOOOO if they are pretty comparable in quality and usage, why not go with easiest to install?

Pricing
  1. Barton comes in at $449
  2. Steeda comes in at $439
  3. MGW comes in at $475
  4. Steeda wins the price wars, but $35 is not enough to make me wet my pants over.

Pending anyone coming up with something I missed, I am planning on ordering the MGW.
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
MGW FTW! Shifts are more precise and no vagueness like the factory shifter. Had one in my 12' 1SS Camaro and it work awesome in that car. Went with MGW because i had success in the Camaro. I'd rather do it right the first time than spend more time and wasting money on parts that i might have to redo and start over again.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
MGW /end thread. How this is still questioned regularly boggles my mind. It always ends in the same comclusions. MGW is the best, the rest are also good options. But not the best.

I did Barton on my '13 GT. It was good. I did MGW on my '16 GT. It changed my life. Far and away the best shifter I've ever had in any car that I've ever driven and/or owned.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Just look at all three and it is clear mgw is the way to go, when I get mine I will be going Thato route

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Installed an MGW on mine and it wasn't that bad. Fairly easy, just time consuming.

The MGW is definitely a high quality piece and IMO the best available. Not sure why anyone would want to keep the half trans mount half body mount setup when you could have a completly trans mounted shifter.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
MGW /end thread. How this is still questioned regularly boggles my mind. It always ends in the same comclusions. MGW is the best, the rest are also good options. But not the best.
This is hilarious. It will always be questioned as what you state IS NOT A FACT. It's that simple. The mere fact that there are other owners on this very forum that own and love the other 2 brands is yet another piece of evidence.....

OP - search. There are long, long threads on this subject. Hundreds of replies with all the owners stating their cases as to why.

All 3 are great options.

Pricing wise for Steeda. PM [MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] and tell him I sent you. He will take care of you.

Sixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
all three shifters shouldnt be bad to install under the car. did the old mgw design on my 12 on jackstands and ramp. take your time, it is easy

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Did anyone consider the hurst shifter? Just curious. I have one in my other mustang and I liked the look of how they handled the reverse lockout.

I'm not in the market just yet, maybe next year.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Did anyone consider the hurst shifter? Just curious. I have one in my other mustang and I liked the look of how they handled the reverse lockout.

I'm not in the market just yet, maybe next year.
They look cool, and that's about it.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
  1. MGW is fully assembled, nothing to lubricate, seems like the least amount of screwing around under the car. (Issue installing boot and the "offset" shifter has been fixed.)
I also like how MGW completely replaces the old linkage, a COMPLETE replacement. The original Ford linkage has universal joints installed, replacing that seems like a good idea. (Barton and Steeda use Ford linkage)
Pending anyone coming up with something I missed, I am planning on ordering the MGW.
You've obviously done your research. You are really going to like your MGW.

OP
OP
Unleash-The-Beast

Unleash-The-Beast

Flashback to 1965
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mr. Ed
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium W. drop top
I did see the Hurst, and did not like how they do the reverse lockout myself. Being an "old" guy at 63, I remember Hurst was a big name back in the day. I did not see much about them while researching now.
Looks like I need to order an MGW.:clap2:

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I *really* like my Steeda. I think it was $375. Absolutely wouldn't have it any other way, and the customer service was fantastic. When I found that I received the wrong box (right parts, but in a box marked "S197 SHIFTER") David was on the horn late on a Thursday night to make it right by overnighting a new one if necessary.

And man, the shifts are phenomenal.

bamajoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I'm sure they are all good. I have the Barton with one piece pull up collar. Works great for me. I had Tri Ax in my 03 Cobra and loved it too.

Black

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hash
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT
Are the throws on MGW stiffer or heavier than stock?
Sponsored