Sponsored

Barton hybrid 3 shifter on 2019 Mustang GT - will Void factory warranty?

StreetPony5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vigneshwaran
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT, '12 Audi A6
Hi All,

I recently bought 2019 Mustang GT and would like to install Barton Hybrid 3 short throw shifter at ford dealership or nearby performance shop (preferably trans-mounted). Though I read many posts regarding ford/dealership denying factory warranty if after market parts were installed, I need your help in understanding on what basis as many of you have already installed this shifter and it’s one of the best among Mustangs.

Thanks and I really appreciate the help!
Sponsored

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
You'll be fine. The only time Ford will deny a warranty is if the aftermarket part you installed was indeed the cause of said issue. Tunes are a bit trickier and a different matter though. Just make sure you have the part installed by a trusted dealer or by a certified shop.

OP
OP
StreetPony5.0

StreetPony5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vigneshwaran
Vehicle(s)
You'll be fine. The only time Ford will deny a warranty is if the aftermarket part you installed was indeed the cause of said issue. Tunes are a bit trickier and a different matter though. Just make sure you have the part installed by a trusted dealer or by a certified shop.
Thanks very much!!

Reactions: S7N

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hi All,

I recently bought 2019 Mustang GT and would like to install Barton Hybrid 3 short throw shifter at ford dealership or nearby performance shop (preferably trans-mounted). Though I read many posts regarding ford/dealership denying factory warranty if after market parts were installed, I need your help in understanding on what basis as many of you have already installed this shifter and it’s one of the best among Mustangs.

Thanks and I really appreciate the help!
It really depends on the dealership and the type of warranty work needed. It shouldnt affect all of your powertrain warranty. Only if you need work,that's specifically affected by the shifter that they can scapegoat the mod as causing the problem.

Its still up to the dealer though... Since its a pretty known issue that the 18+ forks are weaker, they probably have had other cars coming in for trans swaps from broken forks...So if you install the shifter and the forks break The dealer may still replace the trans and not make an issue out of it...

Alot of dealerships also wont rat u out to corporate especially if u bought the car from,them. All they'll do is tell you to remove the mod before they work on it. Alot of horror stories you read about blacklisting is because owners were being entitled pricks throwing a tantrum. So the dealer threw the book at them.

I say install the shifter. If the trans breaks get a calimer stage 2 or 3.

All the warranty would do is give you another gen 3 mt82 that will just break again.

As an owner of the barton hybrid 3 i recommend giving the MGW a serious look,if you plan on installing it yourself. The barton has several design issues that makes the install extremley annoying compared to the MGW.

OP
OP
StreetPony5.0

StreetPony5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vigneshwaran
Vehicle(s)
Thank you
It really depends on the dealership and the type of warranty work needed. It shouldnt affect all of your powertrain warranty. Only if you need work,that's specifically affected by the shifter that they can scapegoat the mod as causing the problem.

Its still up to the dealer though... Since its a pretty known issue that the 18+ forks are weaker, they probably have had other cars coming in for trans swaps from broken forks...So if you install the shifter and the forks break The dealer may still replace the trans and not make an issue out of it...

Alot of dealerships also wont rat u out to corporate especially if u bought the car from,them. All they'll do is tell you to remove the mod before they work on it. Alot of horror stories you read about blacklisting is because owners were being entitled pricks throwing a tantrum. So the dealer threw the book at them.

All the warranty would do is give you another gen 3 mt82 that will just break again.

As an owner of the barton hybrid 3 i recommend giving the MGW a serious look,if you plan on installing it yourself. The barton has several design issues that makes the install extremley annoying compared to the MGW.
Thanks and I really appreciate the response!
I already bought Barton Hybrid 3 but I’m having hard time finding a dealer here in Atlanta GA to do the job. The dealership from which I bought the car said they don’t have any mechanic who can install shifters :(. I understand the design issues you are mentioned on Barton and that makes my search for dealer who can install this shifter even more harder.

I’m fairy new to manual transmission world and that’s why I reached out here for help. I’ll read more about Calimer stage II/III.

Sponsored

OP
OP
StreetPony5.0

StreetPony5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vigneshwaran
Vehicle(s)
3D286304-28D1-4A73-9F33-DF9AB570F97A.jpeg

3D286304-28D1-4A73-9F33-DF9AB570F97A.jpeg

Creedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Thank you

Thanks and I really appreciate the response!
I already bought Barton Hybrid 3 but I’m having hard time finding a dealer here in Atlanta GA to do the job. The dealership from which I bought the car said they don’t have any mechanic who can install shifters :(. I understand the design issues you are mentioned on Barton and that makes my search for dealer who can install this shifter even more harder.

I’m fairy new to manual transmission world and that’s why I reached out here for help. I’ll read more about Calimer stage II/III.
Have you reached out to Nalley Ford in Sandy Springs or Angela Krause Ford in Alpharetta?

TheMegalodon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 Mustang GT PP
Congrats - How long did the install take? First impressions of the difference in feel?

Sponsored
OP
OP
StreetPony5.0

StreetPony5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vigneshwaran
Vehicle(s)
Congrats - How long did the install take? First impressions of the difference in feel?
Thanks!!
Definitely huge difference when I shift from 2-3. Like others mentioned installation would have been easier with mgw over Barton. Overall I’m Very glad that I changed the stock shifter.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I love my barton, its butter smooth. (eco) I wanted the stock pull up reverse. zero regrets though. I am glad you like yours

I threw away those damn springs, (the left to right throw springs) I hated how stiff the damn thing was. I like the soft throws.

OP
OP
StreetPony5.0

StreetPony5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vigneshwaran
Vehicle(s)
I love my barton, its butter smooth. (eco) I wanted the stock pull up reverse. zero regrets though. I am glad you like yours

I threw away those damn springs, (the left to right throw springs) I hated how stiff the damn thing was. I like the soft throws.
Okay now that answers the stiffness I feel but I guess I’m used to it now..

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t have to take dick apart, pop the chrome bezel off/boot.

Then peel up the foam square then roll up the rubber grommet boot thing that covers the aluminum shift gate thingy.

2 Allen wrench nuts, pop the spring off.

Then put back together. Took 15 mins max

I hated my Barton immediately after install, in video he recommends the dumb springs saying try it for a bit

I made it half way around block, said fuk that. Sucks I reinstalled everything, but. I took it apart just as I just said. Tossed springs in trash
Sponsored