Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Ingot Silver Manual
Hi all,

I own a 2017 mustang v6 with a manual transmission and have been enjoying the car for quite a while.
Finally decided to get a short-throw shifter to improve the first-second shift, and to pair with my Hurst pistol grip shifter.

Anyways, debating between MGW and barton for quite a while and ordered a barton hybrid 3 on barton's own website, the shifter is shipped and now in customs (Canada). And now I just find out that the shifter is for GT ONLY, which is unexpected, and very weird as no other short shifters (steeda, mgw, old barton) are only compatible with either GT or EcoBoost. There should be an EcoBoost version hybrid 3 but it seems that it is nowhere to be found now.

To any of you who have installed barton hybrid 3, can you educate me on what makes it fits the GT only, and is there a chance that I can make it work on my v6? (body mount? trans mount? buying brackets from barton?)

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Clarkson

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
BUMP

JJSSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP w/Handling Package, 2004 Boxster S, 2013 Jeep JK,
Vehicle Showcase
I contacted Barton a while back and they told me that they have a body mount hybrid 3 but not a trans mount for the Ecoboost. I ended up getting the MGW trans mount for mine and really like it.
I don't know the difference between the GT and Ecoboost transmission mounting.

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
When I ordered directly from Barton they just released ecoboost only hybrid 3 not sure the diff but I got it. I body mounted it and no issues

OP
OP
Clarkson

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
When I ordered directly from Barton they just released ecoboost only hybrid 3 not sure the diff but I got it. I body mounted it and no issues
Thanks for the reply. I have searched for ecoboost owners with hybrid 3 and you seem to be the only one I can find lol.

And I searched for the ecoboost version hybrid 3 recently and it seems that it is nowhere to be found anywhere. I have sent barton some emails but they haven't replied yet.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had it on my car 2 years

installed it at 1k miles on my car, I drove my car from Bozeman Montana ford to Ohio, 500 miles in I called Barton and asked for a short shifter

he said we have a ecoboost only option he recommended just released, gave me 15-25% off too. It was like 350 shipped. Was totallyfair

paid a guy 100 to help me install it from local mustang fb group.

Barton saidhe recommended body so I did body, no regrets. It’s crisp smooth no nvh.

Oh yeah, before fully assembling, try the shifter with the 2 optional springs, and without. I put all together went around the block and there’s 2 optional stiffness springs for left to right throw.
It was so stiff it felt like a workout

drove back, ripped it apart tossedsprings in trash and no regret. It shouldn’t feel like a curl machine to go left and right in the shift gates

I like an easy throw, don’t want to be flexing biceps to shift lmao.

Bottom left of pic those 2 springs by the square

fuck those things

Pic isn’t exact shifter but those components match
08F65BF9-5CDF-4965-A062-1C68A3B0B7DB.jpeg

OP
OP
Clarkson

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
I’ve had it on my car 2 years

installed it at 1k miles on my car, I drove my car from Bozeman Montana ford to Ohio, 500 miles in I called Barton and asked for a short shifter

he said we have a ecoboost only option he recommended just released, gave me 15-25% off too. It was like 350 shipped. Was totallyfair

paid a guy 100 to help me install it from local mustang fb group.

Barton saidhe recommended body so I did body, no regrets. It’s crisp smooth no nvh.

Oh yeah, before fully assembling, try the shifter with the 2 optional springs, and without. I put all together went around the block and there’s 2 optional stiffness springs for left to right throw.
It was so stiff it felt like a workout

drove back, ripped it apart tossedsprings in trash and no regret. It shouldn’t feel like a curl machine to go left and right in the shift gates

I like an easy throw, don’t want to be flexing biceps to shift lmao.

Bottom left of pic those 2 springs by the square

fuck those things

Pic isn’t exact shifter but those components match
08F65BF9-5CDF-4965-A062-1C68A3B0B7DB.jpeg
Thanks for your help. The main reason for me to get a barton over MGW is the fact that barton has those removable springs to make the shifter lighter with the reduced throw.
It kinda baffles me as this shifter seems to be the only one to have a GT version at all, and I totally missed that as there aren't too much people mentioning this.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I will tell you this, I fucking love it.

gt or eb id do it again day 1. That paired w steeda clutch spring made me love my car

actually........Barton + steeda spring + 5 spur arm rest lmao.

JJSSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your help. The main reason for me to get a barton over MGW is the fact that barton has those removable springs to make the shifter lighter with the reduced throw.
It kinda baffles me as this shifter seems to be the only one to have a GT version at all, and I totally missed that as there aren't too much people mentioning this.
My MGW shifts very easy, not hard at all.
Barton sounds good also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clarkson

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
I will tell you this, I fucking love it.

gt or eb id do it again day 1. That paired w steeda clutch spring made me love my car

actually........Barton + steeda spring + 5 spur arm rest lmao.
I have just installed the steeda spring recently and man that makes a huge difference.

Sponsored

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
I have just installed the steeda spring recently and man that makes a huge difference.
I was doing some research on the MGW, but came across this... what does the steeda spring do for you?

JJSSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For me the stock pedal return spring feels too light when it engages and engages the clutch a little too quick. The Steeds springs makes it feel similar to other cars I am use to. I am smoother with the Steeda spring.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
For me the stock pedal return spring feels too light when it engages and engages the clutch a little too quick. The Steeds springs makes it feel similar to other cars I am use to. I am smoother with the Steeda spring.

Same, it made it feel like other cars is perfectly comparison, I would go between cars and I couldn’t drive the mustang for crap due to how spongy soft it was

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
Same, it made it feel like other cars is perfectly comparison, I would go between cars and I couldn’t drive the mustang for crap due to how spongy soft it was
so it makes the pedal slightly harder to push in?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yep; a weaker spring does that. The clutch pedal feels perfectly fine to me, so left it alone. Oh, and if you buy that spring, might as well buy the perch too, since you'd probably break it during spring removal. Good luck.
Sponsored