sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
States Ban Gasoline Cars - Bing News

Hello; Another state has declared a future ban on gas powered vehicles. Still 14 years away but for some of us it will be an issue if it happens. I personally will not be too impacted as I will be 86 by then if I survive. However any of you under 60 may have to face the full impact.

In the past whatever California did had a big impact on the rest of the USA. If that sort of influence still holds, then the rest of the country will be affected. I do not know how such a thing will work out, but have a couple of guesses.
If normal market type pressures had been allowed to play out, the cost of fuel likely would have made the change to hybrids and full electric popular. However that did not happen. Technology and the tar sands have given us an abundance of fossil fuel for a while. Long enough to push a move away from fossil fuels off for at least some time. My first guess being these proposed bans are part of agendas from activists. Folks who have a world view and are willing to push that view onto others. We can get into a discussion on this aspect of the bans if any of you wish.

Another thing I have thought about is a question of what the powers that be might do to pressure us out of gas cars. The way I read it is no new gas powered cars sold after 2035. What about those who plane to just keep the old gasoline cars/trucks running. I do not see them leaving us alone.
I wonder if they will try things similar to the "sin taxes" put on tobacco products. We already have a gas guzzler tax when we buy some new cars. Maybe extra and higher gasoline taxes and other fees for running a gas powered cars.

Enough from me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Just realized I started a similar thread not long ago. That one did not amount to much so this one may not as well.
I did a search before posting this new thread but my old thread did not show up. My bad I guess.

Just goes to show how things go when you are at the third stage of old guy issues, which I am. First stage is to forget phone numbers, Second stage is to forget names, Third stage is to forget to zip up. The dreaded fourth stage, which I hope to avoid, is when you forget to zip down

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The logistics and economics don't work.
Hello; I find you post filled with good very valid points. It will be of interest to see if anyone can find fault with your observations. I cannot.

I do get that if some sort of breakthru in battery technology happens, such could be a game changer for a portion of the transportation questions. I have seen reports of all electric big trucks, but am not sure they are practical yet.

One of the things often ignored in the discussions I have had is about the energy/ pollution cost of initial manufacture. Driving economy is a part of the total for sure, but there are other factors to consider.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Hello; Just realized I started a similar thread not long ago. That one did not amount to much so this one may not as well.
I did a search before posting this new thread but my old thread did not show up. My bad I guess.

Just goes to show how things go when you are at the third stage of old guy issues, which I am. First stage is to forget phone numbers, Second stage is to forget names, Third stage is to forget to zip up. The dreaded fourth stage, which I hope to avoid, is when you forget to zip down
I now how you feel. I'm 77. It won't be long until I'm just sitting in the corner, drooling and pissing myself!

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The logistics and economics don't work. The bulk of emissions in the transportation sector are from shipping, not personal vehicles. The grids can't handle it, the roads can't handle it, and people just can't afford new cars just because the government waves their magic wand. The average car in America is over a decade old. All this will do is increase the age of the ICE cars on the road. An increase in older, less efficient cars will have the opposite effect on the environment. If the ban goes in effect in 2035, the earliest I see widespread adoption is 2050. Sure hope the infrastructure has been built out by then.

Then, even assuming a 100% conversion rate, we've only dealt with PART of the transportation GHG emissions. What about the other 86% of the pie? Source: EPA

global_emissions_sector_2015.png

Targeting the personal transportation subset of that 14% is purely political. They are not doing anything to address the real issues. Unless these policies go hand-in-hand with major rollout of renewables, and drastic changes to our global economy, it's pointless. Y'all need to stop buying everything you see on Amazon, and purchase more durable goods as locally as possible if we want to see real change. Buying cheap crap pumped out of factories in China, then shipped halfway across the world on diesel ships/trains/trucks is what's really doing the damage.
This is not about pollution, its all about control. Like you said the simple math doesn't add up to being about pollution. If it was they would be all over countries like India and China. Those countries are about 50 years behind when it comes to pollution measures.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Yeah, if the US went ZERO emissions, it would help, but China produces almost double our output. They have been making strides toward reducing emission in their own country, but then they go and do shit like this...

If they had state of the art coal plants its nowhere near as bad as it used to be but they don't. India is so bad they have bodies of water that have no fish and catch fire periodically. Yet America and our cars are the problem...BS.
Sponsored