Bad Tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Shadow277, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Shadow277

Shadow277 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
    0   0   0
    So we've talked a lot about good tires. Comfort and track. What about bad tires? What tires should we stay away from? Surprisingly, Speed Academy ran a test and Chinese tires won over Japanese and German tires. What are the "medicore" or tires that save us some bucks? I feel like a good budget tire are Potenzas RS980AE.
    Are any of you starting to buy Chinese or Czeck tires? Any reviews on them?

2. NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Life is too short to drive on mediocre tires. Also, a lot of big brand name tires are actually made in countries like China, so country of origin isn't so interesting as the brand/model of product itself.

Also what category of tires are you wanting to know about? There's a huge range from sticky low treadwear rating summer tires to winter weather capable all-seasons to full on snow tires. The question is too broad. Firestone Indy 500 gets thrown around as a good budget tire.

I'd throw everything Nitto south of the NT01 into the 'bad tire' category, and not in a good budget way.

Bluemustang and kz like this.
  3. moffetts

moffetts Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
    0   0   0
    The worst tires I have ever put on this car were the stock P Zeros. Even the NT555G2s were better, and a lot cheaper.

4. OP
    OP
    Shadow277

Shadow277 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
    0   0   0
    I'm just wanting tonknow which tores to steer clear from. I've heard Chinese tires are bad, like Nankang. However, Nankang beat Toyo.