Sponsored

Bad time of year for tuning?

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
I've been strongly considering picking up an nGauge with the Lund Flex Fuel tune for my 2019 GT, since there'll be some deals on them soon with Black Friday coming.

Of course, this is right after winter hit early here in Michigan, and I've put on my skinnier Blizzak tires.

Is this a terrible time to do a flex fuel tune? I'd hate to buy it now but wait until Spring to see how it is.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
No, the tune has very little to do with tires. In fact, I don't think Lund has a tune specifically for winter tires vs. summer tires. What you get now will be the same that you get any other time of the year.

Buy and enjoy.

OP
OP

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
No, the tune has very little to do with tires. In fact, I don't think Lund has a tune specifically for winter tires vs. summer tires. What you get now will be the same that you get any other time of the year.

Buy and enjoy.
Thanks - I knew the tune wouldn't be specific to tires. I was just concerned that I wouldn't be able to really test it out very well on the winter tires, especially if I need to do some data logging or whatnot with WOT within the 3 month window of purchase.

My engine is mostly stock, though (stock intake with drop in filter, Borla S-type exhaust), so a canned tune will probably be all I need anyway.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Yes, with your engine being mostly stock there won't be that much of variation from the base tune you are sent and any custom one he may do after doing a couple runs.

Also, you should fully be able to do a nice 3rd/4th gear pull on the highway even with your snow tires. That should get Lund a good log for them to verify your tune parameters.

Last edited:

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Lund will ask for a 3rd gear WOT pull to 7500 so its up to you if you want to do it in the winter, depending on your gearing you will be 100+mph. You have a 3 month window after you buy the tunes to get the revisions for free. They will send you a base tune and have you datalog it. Then they will send you a FF and e85r tune. Most gas stations in the winter will change to a winter blend for e85 and it will drop down to e54 or around there. The e85r tune cannot be used with anything less than 70% ethanol (you'll have to test it). So you may not be able to get your e85r tune dataloged until spring/summer and then you'll have to pay for a tune revision since your out of the 3 month window.

Lund is also out of the office this week racing so they may be a little back logged come next week.

If I was you I'd just wait until spring which is what I did this april. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Reactions: Fjc

Sponsored

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
You can also do a second gear pull instead of 3rd. That's what I did and it worked well for them.

Also, if you are planning on getting a tune for sure, why wait, get it now and enjoy it...

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I installed my supercharger in the winter and datalogging and tuning probably went from a week long ordeal to a couple of months. They would send a tune and I’d have to wait a few days to a week for snow to dry off the roads. Then I’d log, and send it, receive a new rev and bad luck would make it snow again, rinse and repeat for 9 revisions before figuring out I needed to pay somebody else for a different tune. Good weather would have made it much easier and straight forward.

Brentkbc6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
I’m in Indiana and just did my Ngauge Lund flex and E85 datalogging last week! I was blown away how easy the process was. I actually have a video of the datalogging process.

installing and datalogging with Ngauge Tuner in S550 Mustang GT

Subscribe to our channel for more how-to and cool videos. Thanks

OP
OP

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
I’m in Indiana and just did my Ngauge Lund flex and E85 datalogging last week! I was blown away how easy the process was. I actually have a video of the datalogging process.
Cool, thanks! For an automatic like I have, I assume you use the paddle shifters to do the 7000rpm pull. Anyone know what gear(s) they want for that datalogging pull?

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Gear doesn’t matter. They just want a wot pull. They recommend 2 or 3rd gear because of speed. The higher the gear=the longer the wot pull=the better the log info IMO.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
You will be tuning the car on winter blends and will have less traction to do logging are the negatives imo. Most people only do a couple logs and call it done though. Good luck.

OP
OP

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
Awesome, thanks for the info everyone. Now I just need a coupon code or early BF sale and I'll get this tune rolling! :)

Brentkbc6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Cool, thanks! For an automatic like I have, I assume you use the paddle shifters to do the 7000rpm pull. Anyone know what gear(s) they want for that datalogging pull?
I did my two slow climbs in 2nd gear so I wasn’t having to go as fast, then did the one WOT to 7K RPM in 3rd gear, so it was a longer pull and alittle more data. With the roads being cold 2nd gear may get some wheel spin causing you to lift and not get an accurate WOT pull.

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yes 3rd is best in the winter. They want a pull with no spin and no traction control pulling timing. It took me a couple tries to get a good baseline log, but when I did and got my flex and e85r tune, they were spot on. And I went from stock injectors 18 manifold stock tb to Cobra jet and twin 65mm tb and lu47 injectors. And one small revision was all that they needed. Lund is awesome when it comes down to e85