Bad pump e85 to c85 OMG.. and boost readings

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT pp Paxton e85
Okay guys, I have a few questions. First off I have a 2019 mustang GT with a Whipple stage 2 + 3.50 pulley. I have the fore dual pump fuel system. I tune with Lund racing and we had my car datalogged with the same pump e85 that I normally get. We have two naval bases in my area and they both have e85, so the last two times I was in the area of the other e85 gas station. So I decided to get that gas.
I was on the 3.875 pulley when we finished all my data logging and I decided to go down to the 3.5 and when I did, I had the shop give me a Dyno. I was only getting 738 whp at 7600 RPM in 6th gear and 14 psi. Obviously as you guys know, people are making way better numbers than that on here with the same setup I have. So I was concerned.
I sent lund a new data log with the gas at the other pump and he said the reason why my car was so low on horsepower was because of the bad gas he would assume. The thing about it is, we have this page around here for e85 users and somebody just posted from that pump that day with concentrations of e84. So I honestly did not think it was the gas.
Lund told me to get some C85 or some ignite 90 just to see. So I went and spent all that money on 15 gallons of C85. Omg, it made so much of a difference. My car felt so so so much faster, it was unreal. So I'm assuming even though it was reading e84, there is still "junk" in that gas as Lund called it. I don't think C85 compared to the pump(e84) e85 would make that much of a difference as it just did with mine.
I'm going to run this out and actually go get the gas from where we first did all my tuning with and see if it's still pulling timing or not. CRAZY how much faster it felt though!!!!

Also, on my digital dash, I was getting between 9 and 10 psi on the 3.875 pulley. When I was just looking down at my dash with the C85 and new pulley, it said 17 PSI, which is not good!! How do I go from 3 pulley sizes down and get like 7 PSI more on the dash? Lol. How accurate is that boost gauge on the actual digital cluster??
When I was put on the dyno, the guy said I was making 14 PSI.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Get a tester. And run your own test before you buy. The E85 testers are only about $15 bucks on amazon.

OP
OP
Peedystablo82

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
That's what I am saying. I do have a tester. It tests at e84, but something else is going on with it to have it test good, but still have something in it. Idk. Lol.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Did you personally test it? Reason I ask. Is because you state in your first post. That someone on a page tested it at e84? The shake test is quick and easy. If your not testing yourself. I recommend you start. I work at a refinery and your going to start getting winter blend fuel. At your fuel stations. So most likely the amount of ethanol will go down some. As far as your boost reading. The dash isn’t incredibly accurate. I show 16psi on a little Paxton dropping off to 12. The only way to get a better reading is to run a manual boost gauge.

OP
OP
Peedystablo82

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I've tested it there before, but not recently. But I guess it doesn't matter now because I'm not going back there for a while. Lol. I'm just going to go to the other pumps that I used to use at the other Naval Base once this C85 is out. Tbh, I used to always test every time. I will start again.

and yeah it was crazy because when I was using the 3.875 pulley, it was saying I was getting between 9 and 10 psi. And now it says I'm getting 17 PSI. Haha. Definitely can't be accurate I wouldn't think. We are in boost weather here though!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Peedystablo82

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I think I am gaining that mph like every 2 seconds over what I was using. Haha

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
No, pump E85 goes in my tank with out me testing it, every time.

OP
OP
Peedystablo82

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I guess I just got sloppy with it because every time I would do it, which is about 50 different times, it's always been reading good and we had this Facebook page where people post all the time at whatever station they get there e85 at and we've never had an issue but like one time from what It seems. but yes I'm going to start doing it and I'm not going back to that Naval Base anymore. I'm going to the other Naval Base that I used to always go to all the time anyway.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Barrel E85's are not only consistent E blend, but they are also oxygenated even further. So the gains on C85, Ignite, Renegade, any of the reputable ones will no doubt pick up quite a bit of power, but at the cost of $$$. As said don't trust the dash guage at all. It's just inferred value that relies on too many other variables. It's just for show. With that said I could see 7 lbs gained under the right conditions. Go from shitty DA 3,000+ to 0 or negative, AND change pullies. In 35° dry air to 95° and humid I dropped 4 lbs on the same pulley with the old procharger setup. Logged with a very accurate boost sensor.
Sponsored