Bad News!!!! Bline motorsports catless

Hangman77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt350R Heritage
I have an extra set of kooks off-road x pipe if anyone wants to buy it, it’s brand new in box.

I accidentally bought 2 when I placed multiple orders hoping to get one.

I got one from lethal and the other from jegs I believe.
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
If it has a ever had a VIN basically. There is no changing a passenger car to off road use and be legal. You monkey with the CAT for non-service related issues and you are illegal. You can only replace a CAT with a stock unit. So...no aftermarket CATs at all.
I think your guessing...!
My 1970 Pontiac had a VIN, and Pontiac did not make cats for any 1974 and older vehicle... none of the manufacturers did.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Cars that are old enough are exempt. If it’s so old that it does not even have OBD1 interface then it’s probably exempt. I think CARB does not care if it’s pre 1975 or so. Some states don’t care at all, but federal emission laws still apply regardless in all states. If you are old enough to remember what places were like before 1975 or so…which I do, the pollution from cars was nasty…you had smog alerts and an orange haze in the city….it needed to be cleaned up. That being said many tunes make cars run cleaner than the OEM, but the issue is…that only happens once the cats get warmed up, it’s the cold starts that cause lots of pollution…that’s why when you go to get emissions tested, make sure the vehicle is warmed up.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
If it has a ever had a VIN basically. There is no changing a passenger car to off road use and be legal. You monkey with the CAT for non-service related issues and you are illegal. You can only replace a CAT with a stock unit. So...no aftermarket CATs at all. You couldn't even use a GT500 CAT on a 350. Has to be OEM for the car.

Some places have sniffers that detect transgressors as they drive past and they are fined via the mail.
The Clean Air Act dates back to the 60's (actually 1955 if you count the Air Pollution Control Act which preceded the CAA), with the last major revision being the amendments in 1990. It established air quality goals and tasked the EPA with enforcing compliance, specifically from what is termed "mobile sources of pollution", AKA motor vehicles. Catalytic converters exist because of this law, as do the complex engine management systems now used in all modern vehicles on U.S. roads. The EPA did not invent those systems or devices, they simply mandated a level of emissions output and the vehicle manufacturers developed the tech needed to meet those requirements.

I have not seen any actual wording within the legislation specifically banning the use of a street legal vehicle in motorsports, or modifying a vehicle that is never used on a public highway even if it started out as a street legal vehicle (it is an excruciatingly long document, so I doubt anyone, including the EPA, has read every word of it). The problem is, it doesn't specifically permit those things either, and the EPA being an ultra liberal bureaucracy prompted by a liberal administration has "interpreted" this law to include all vehicles produced for use on public highways, regardless of how the vehicle ends up being used. The intent of the CAA was pretty obviously to stop people from defeating the emission controls on vehicles still used on the roads, but the wording doesn't limit it to just that. That's why the RPM act is so important. It specifically exempts off road only vehicles from compliance with the CAA. Without that clarification, or any clearly defined limits of the application of the law, the EPA "could" if it wanted to, start hanging out at race tracks and handing out fines to all the racers as they were loading up their racecars onto trailers for modifying the emission systems of those racecars. That's not likely to happen, but as the CAA stands now, it would be within the EPA's power to do that. The only way to avoid breaking that law if you want to modify a car for racing, under the EPA's interpretation of it, is to drive a vehicle built before the Pollution Control Act of 1965, so it wouldn't have any emissions devices on it to tamper with, or build a car yourself from the ground up, and never title or register it for street use. Anything else is subject to EPA enforcement.

Now if you drive a car on the street, and chose modify it in a way the alters the emissions systems, well then you're on your own. :lipssealed:

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
You realize the EPA was started by…..Nixon. A real republican. He also started the DOE and bureau of Indian affairs and signed into law the clean air and water act. I think he also elevated the VA administration to cabinet level position. May have sign into law the endangered species act as well. Point being, it’s not always a liberal conspiracy to hold you down or take your toys away.

actually…..

https://www.epa.gov/clean-air-act-overview/evolution-clean-air-act#caa70

Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I think it matters little who started a particular well-intentioned government agency. They take on a life of their own, are generally peopled by career bureaucrats (that voting records indicate are predominantly liberal in ideology) that liberally interpret and enforce statutes, perpetuate themselves by lobbying and gaining more power and funding, and can become unresponsive to meaningful congressional and executive oversight especially from an opposing viewpoint. See FBI, IRS, Dept. of Educaton, etc.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I think your guessing...!
My 1970 Pontiac had a VIN, and Pontiac did not make cats for any 1974 and older vehicle... none of the manufacturers did.
Guessing?

What did I say that has anything to do with your OEM CATless car?

As as mentioned here, they are most likely exempt from testing.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
The Clean Air Act dates back to the 60's (actually 1955 if you count the Air Pollution Control Act which preceded the CAA), with the last major revision being the amendments in 1990. It established air quality goals and tasked the EPA with enforcing compliance, specifically from what is termed "mobile sources of pollution", AKA motor vehicles. Catalytic converters exist because of this law, as do the complex engine management systems now used in all modern vehicles on U.S. roads. The EPA did not invent those systems or devices, they simply mandated a level of emissions output and the vehicle manufacturers developed the tech needed to meet those requirements.

I have not seen any actual wording within the legislation specifically banning the use of a street legal vehicle in motorsports, or modifying a vehicle that is never used on a public highway even if it started out as a street legal vehicle (it is an excruciatingly long document, so I doubt anyone, including the EPA, has read every word of it). The problem is, it doesn't specifically permit those things either, and the EPA being an ultra liberal bureaucracy prompted by a liberal administration has "interpreted" this law to include all vehicles produced for use on public highways, regardless of how the vehicle ends up being used. The intent of the CAA was pretty obviously to stop people from defeating the emission controls on vehicles still used on the roads, but the wording doesn't limit it to just that. That's why the RPM act is so important. It specifically exempts off road only vehicles from compliance with the CAA. Without that clarification, or any clearly defined limits of the application of the law, the EPA "could" if it wanted to, start hanging out at race tracks and handing out fines to all the racers as they were loading up their racecars onto trailers for modifying the emission systems of those racecars. That's not likely to happen, but as the CAA stands now, it would be within the EPA's power to do that. The only way to avoid breaking that law if you want to modify a car for racing, under the EPA's interpretation of it, is to drive a vehicle built before the Pollution Control Act of 1965, so it wouldn't have any emissions devices on it to tamper with, or build a car yourself from the ground up, and never title or register it for street use. Anything else is subject to EPA enforcement.

Now if you drive a car on the street, and chose modify it in a way the alters the emissions systems, well then you're on your own. :lipssealed:
You can run a VIN number car on a track all you want. No one is banning anything on a track as long as it still has it's OEM CATs, etc. If it has a VIN it is subject to the regulations. You can run street cars on tracks but you can't run off-road vehicles on the street.

You can run a race car on the track - one that never had a VIN - and modify it all you want.

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350
I might know somebody sitting on a set of free flowing pipes and a set of some resonated ones.. 😏

Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'll agree to disagree without being disagreeable or profane.
BTW, unless it stands for Direct Current, are you aware your moniker has a tangential connection to a former slave owner?

OP
OP
DirtyTx210

DirtyTx210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
Gt350
I have an extra set of kooks off-road x pipe if anyone wants to buy it, it’s brand new in box.

I accidentally bought 2 when I placed multiple orders hoping to get one.

I got one from lethal and the other from jegs I believe.
How much?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Frankly I think every car should have catalytic converters. It might not be a popular opinion here, but I would have no issue adding a set to my '70 Mustang if I was putting new exhaust on it. It's pretty nice having clean exhaust, especially in a convertible.

I don't really agree with deleting the cats from a newer car. It's not worth enough power and who wants to pollute? This seems entirely reasonable to me.

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
Frankly I think every car should have catalytic converters. It might not be a popular opinion here, but I would have no issue adding a set to my '70 Mustang if I was putting new exhaust on it. It's pretty nice having clean exhaust, especially in a convertible.

I don't really agree with deleting the cats from a newer car. It's not worth enough power and who wants to pollute? This seems entirely reasonable to me.
Tell me your a lefty without telling me your a lefty. 🤣

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - In a somewhat related issue regarding motorcycles. I'm a fan of modified muffler sounds, but not straight thru pipes. I grew up with glass packs in the '60s and loved the sound. My variable exhaust is okay in normal or sport but (IMO) not track for normal daily use. I have a problem with local Harley guys who run straight pipes, which in this area seems to be the norm. The local police say they won't voluntarily enforce the decibel laws because it's too difficult and they don't really want to. I would have to make a 911 noise complaint call and it would not be a priority(and I agree), so it would be a futile endeavor. The biker would be long gone by then. A new motorcycle according to federal EPA regulations has to be sold with an EPA approved exhaust system and any modification is illegal under EPA regulations. That essentially means the factory exhaust system and would make these aforementioned Harleys illegal. The local police say it's EPA's job to enforce their regulations even though it's obvious that straight thru pipes are illegal. Thus I didn't get any satisfaction with regard to my personal pet peeve and have basically given up my quest. About two years ago, Harley paid a multi million dollar fine to the EPA for selling modified exhausts systems even though they were marketed for off road use only. They were not EPA approved and Harley had to cease and desist selling them. Please don't try to sell me on "a loud bike is a safe bike" because my insurance company says there are not any statistically valid studies supporting that belief, it's strictly anecdotal. No offense intended toward loud Harley bikers unless you drive in my neighborhood... Bruce
Sponsored